Jun 22, 2019
Saskatoon sask
VetteCoins
Province
SK
I posted a thread earlier about my c6 2008 that is holding a rebuilt title . I was told the RIV is where to search on who brought the vehicle to Canada and had the repairs carried out. Does anyone have a lead on how to go about this because it tends to make people feel hunted when you want information about a car that's got questionable history?

My shop goes through well over a thousand cars each year from MPI and SGI (Auto Recycler) and ive fixed and sold many of them privately. Unless the seller has exact info on what the damage was and where all repairs were completed including invoices preferably, avoid no matter how good the deal is.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: ddgermann
Seeing as how spiderman has already taken possession of the car, that is good info but doesn't really address the question...
I'm blown away he put himself in this situation. I found studying for the exam before I took it worked better, hope it holds together because even with full documents for repairs and having a reputable paint shop do the work ect, a salvage title will always be a red flag even if you don't know cars ( in this scenario obviously it was not). Frame damage, electrical issues, flood loss, fire, endless gremlins. Even if it has passed a safey that doesn't count for much if it's not from a good shop, there are endless garages that will pass a car for cash on the side.

I'm blown away he put himself in this situation. I found studying for the exam before I took it worked better, hope it holds together because even with full documents for repairs and having a reputable paint shop do the work ect, a salvage title will always be a red flag even if you don't know cars ( in this scenario obviously it was not). Frame damage, electrical issues, flood loss, fire, endless gremlins. Even if it has passed a safey that doesn't count for much if it's not from a good shop, there are endless garages that will pass a car for cash on the side.

Whoa...we don't know what he paid and besides, it's a done deal and he's free to spend his money as he wants. And none of us make perfect decisions all the time but again, perhaps he paid a price that wasn't too much off its true value, thinking he was getting "a steal of a deal" w/o knowing its true history since his earlier thread said he didn't realize at the time of purchase it was a salvage vehicle. So easy to say in hindsight that "a salvage title will always be a red flag". He didn't know it was, he missed it, it's in the past and it's time to move on.

Regardless of how it happened, he now owns the car, it's a Corvette and he's come to a Corvette Forum for help. Is there anyone here that can answer his question?

I was under the assumption that a car with a clean title being registered from Texas would of had a clean title not salvage as I found out. RIV has indicated that they will not release who imported the car unless a suit has been launched and then it's still private. The car is fine but I avoided salvage for the re sale only. Paid $28 plus extra for brakes and exhaust work and had it at GM to do all the recall stuff they indicated it was good

Look it is my fault of course due to not getting a car fax. I have been burned but I have a ten second quarter mile car on nitrous that I can drive to Texas and have a holiday in. I am surprised by SGI and the unscrupulous people out there and am not happy about the loss but I have a Corvette c6 and have known that if your smart you pay attention to detail.

Reactions: The Rogue
sorry i have not ever read anywhere where you can do a title search on a US car, if you purchased it locally perhaps the previous owner can help you out as to where he acquired the car and go from there - just enjoy it and if it gives you trouble then that is the time to worry about it ... love mine but C8's have gremlins that are inherent to the generation, whether they are rebuilt or not.

Last edited:
Reactions: The Rogue
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.