FordPrefect
Oct 13, 2011
Ancaster, ON
VetteCoins
Car
2004 convertible
Yesterday I was pulling out from a shopping mall onto a two lane road. The road was slightly damp, not real rain, just sort of a mist. I saw an opening and went for it giving it just a bit of gas as I made a right hand turn onto the road.

Next thing I knew the back end slid out on me. My brilliant 67 year old reflexes took over and with a deft hand of the wheel and brilliant use of the gas pedal (took my foot off it) I soon had the car under control. Traction contol was ON.

Is it safe to assume that non-flats will give me better traction than what I now have. How much weight do you save?

I'd love to hear from people who have switched.

sorry, implants was just to make you look.

I switched to Michelin Pilot Super Sports in the summer. What a difference compared to the Goodyear runcraps!, road noise was cut down, unbelievable grip---super sticky, so much smoother on bumps and dips in the road. With the Badyears it felt like the suspension was going to come thru the fender when going over small potholes and bumps. Manny installed them and had an alignment done while I was there. Install non runflats you wont regret it :D

Wayne, I don't think that even non runflats would have had a chance under those conditions. Go get some lighter shoes or better still, see if the Doc can take some lead out of that foot!!!

With the horsepower and torque that these engines are putting out, there will never be much traction on wet pavement no matter the tire, especially if you are turning and giving it gas. Some tires might be a little better designed than others as far as displacing water from under the tire thus reducing the tendency to hydroplane. You just can not get aggressive with the right foot at all when the roads are wet. It is a terrible burden that we carry. I see guys stepping on the gas then pulling out to pass. They are just inviting disaster. If you really want to see how much good the tread pattern is doing, try driving in the rain with cheater slicks or similar. It is absolutely like driving on a greased road. Been there. Not that I would ever race on the street. It is illegal. :nono:

Don't know anything about the runcraps as I have never owned a set;
But it sure is nice to hear you are trying to blow some of the carbon out of that hardly used car.

I switched to Michelin Pilot Super Sports in the summer. What a difference compared to the Goodyear runcraps!, road noise was cut down, unbelievable grip---super sticky, so much smoother on bumps and dips in the road. With the Badyears it felt like the suspension was going to come thru the fender when going over small potholes and bumps. Manny installed them and had an alignment done while I was there. Install non runflats you wont regret it :D

Exactly what he said ^^ ! ! :D

All season Michelin's great in rain .snow and sleet .Great at temps below zero .Same price as summer RF and tread design is just about the same .

How are the Pilots in the wet? Even though I never intend to drive in the rain, it happens that you get caught out somewhere and the weather quickly changes.

I have the same complaints as everyone else regarding The Goodyear Runflats. VERY noisy and you do feel every little crack and bump in the pavement. I don't expect our car to ride like a Cadillac but if there is something better than what we have now, I'll be buying it. We have Michelins on our '97 Olds and they ride nice and are quiet. The Corvette will be getting Michelins when the time comes. I don't think I will be getting the runflat tires either.

How are the Pilots in the wet? Even though I never intend to drive in the rain, it happens that you get caught out somewhere and the weather quickly changes.
The Pilot AS are terrific in all weather and temperatures .Reasonably quite for run flats ,not like GY's .

I have a Z51 performance package, which is a little stiffer ride than the base or select ride.
When I picked up my car in OHIO, it had the OEM GY F1 supercar runflats on it.
Even on the highways, the car seemed rough riding and the tires seemed noisy, but I attributed it to the stiff suspension.
At about 1/2 thread, when it got cooler outside < 50F, or on wet highways, the car seemed to be pretty loose. The thing would start hydroplaning in the slightest puddles.
After 22k kms, I got downright nervous of getting caught in the rain, so I bought a set of Firestone Wide Oval Indy 500 non runflat tires.
I could not believe the difference.
No more road noise on the highway, much smoother ride, and on the way home, we had a down pour, and at 100 km/hr, that car never waivered at all where before, at 80 km/hr on the GY tires, I was all over the place.
I was sold on these tires, wore those out, and replaced them this year with the exact same set.
On our road trips, on the interstates, I never worry about rain, or noisy tires, or a rough ride.
I do carry a compressor, a tire plug kit, a can of goop, a pair of side cutters, and have OnStar on board.
I've had to use the plug kit once on a road trip. I picked up a nail. The TMPS warned me of an issue with that leaking tire.
Got to the hotel, found the nail, yanked it out with the side cutters, plugged it, and pumped her up. That plug was still good when I replaced those tires this past August.

I believe that any tire other than GY runflats will be a big improvement on every scale.;)

I have a Z51 performance package, which is a little stiffer ride than the base or select ride.
When I picked up my car in OHIO, it had the OEM GY F1 supercar runflats on it.
Even on the highways, the car seemed rough riding and the tires seemed noisy, but I attributed it to the stiff suspension.
At about 1/2 thread, when it got cooler outside < 50F, or on wet highways, the car seemed to be pretty loose. The thing would start hydroplaning in the slightest puddles.
After 22k kms, I got downright nervous of getting caught in the rain, so I bought a set of Firestone Wide Oval Indy 500 non runflat tires.
I could not believe the difference.
No more road noise on the highway, much smoother ride, and on the way home, we had a down pour, and at 100 km/hr, that car never waivered at all where before, at 80 km/hr on the GY tires, I was all over the place.
I was sold on these tires, wore those out, and replaced them this year with the exact same set.
On our road trips, on the interstates, I never worry about rain, or noisy tires, or a rough ride.
I do carry a compressor, a tire plug kit, a can of goop, a pair of side cutters, and have OnStar on board.
I've had to use the plug kit once on a road trip. I picked up a nail. The TMPS warned me of an issue with that leaking tire.
Got to the hotel, found the nail, yanked it out with the side cutters, plugged it, and pumped her up. That plug was still good when I replaced those tires this past August.

I believe that any tire other than GY runflats will be a big improvement on every scale.;)

:agree:

I have the Z51 suspension also and ride quality is like night and day with the Super Sports. I also carry a mini compressor and patch kit. hopefully I will never have to use them :D. The Michelins handle very well in the rain. I got caught a few times without any issues

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.