Jun 26, 2017
St. Thomas
VetteCoins
Hi
I did a frame off restoration but did not do the tear down (I purchased the car in a million pieces). I have rubbing of the passenger front tire on front of the fender when I turn.
Does anyone know if this may have to do with body shims?
Any comments would be appreciated
Thanks

you need to tell us what size wheels and tires it has, also the year of the car . Does the car sit level side to side, you can measure the height of the wheel opening to the ground and see if both sides are equal.

you need to tell us what size wheels and tires it has, also the year of the car . Does the car sit level side to side, you can measure the height of the wheel opening to the ground and see if both sides are equal.

It is 1974
Has original rallies on it nothing crazy. It appears to be level all the way around from eye
It only touches the fender on the passenger side when turning
Appears to be lots of clearance and it is centre in wheel well.

You forgot to say what tire size you have.

The original tire on your 74 was a GR70x15 radial. A GR70x15 tire converts to 225/70R15, in the modern metric sizes. 1972 was the last year that F70x15's bais ply tires were used.

You should be able to easily fit a 225/70x15 on the front. About the largest tire to fit the front is a 255/60x15, though these can rub on some cars. The 245/60x15 is a better choice for a trouble free wider front tire . Or 235/60x15 should be no problem.

The rub will happen on some pre 80 Corvettes. In 78, when Chevrolet started offering the 255/60x15's as an option, they trimmed the front wheel lip, to gain more clearence for the 60's. When the 80 front fenders were redesigned to include the spoiler, it eliminated the problem.

You forgot to say what tire size you have.

The original tire on your 74 was a GR70x15 radial. A GR70x15 tire converts to 225/70R15, in the modern metric sizes. 1972 was the last year that F70x15's bais ply tires were used.

You should be able to easily fit a 225/70x15 on the front. About the largest tire to fit the front is a 255/60x15, though these can rub on some cars. The 245/60x15 is a better choice for a trouble free wider front tire . Or 235/60x15 should be no problem.

The rub will happen on some pre 80 Corvettes. In 78, when Chevrolet started offering the 255/60x15's as an option, they trimmed the front wheel lip, to gain more clearence for the 60's. When the 80 front fenders were redesigned to include the spoiler, it eliminated the problem.

Thank you very much for the information when I am in the shop I will look at the tire size

I have 225 70R15 on now.
..........hmmm, that should be no problem , was that car ever hit ? maybe the front end was not put on straight ? are the springs sagged ? could be one of those that was just poorly fit from the factory. You might have to trim the wheel lip otherwise if it grabs then it will crack the fender. Or go one tire size smaller.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.