Can anyone tell me how I can find out my diff ratio without the codes? Sticker is gone when I got the car

A couple of ways seppi. If you have the diff cover off, simply divide the ring gear tooth count by the pinion gear tooth count and that equals the gear ratio. If you have a ring gear with 41 teeth and a pinion gear with 10 teeth, you have a 4.10 diff. The only other way I know of is to jack your car up. Make a mark on a rear tire and align the mark to a stationary reference point and mark that as well. Now crawl under the car and do the same with the drive shaft. Put the car in neutral. Have someone under the car watching the driveshaft while someone rotates the tire until it has made exactly one complete revolution. The person under the car has to count how many revolutions the drive shaft has made. The drive shaft revolutions are a bit trickier to watch as you need to be able to estimate a partial revolution at the end. Simply put, if you rotate your tire one full revolution and the drive shaft has rotated a bit over 4 revolutions, you have approximately4.10 gears in the rear end.

A couple of ways seppi. If you have the diff cover off, simply divide the ring gear tooth count by the pinion gear tooth count and that equals the gear ratio. If you have a ring gear with 41 teeth and a pinion gear with 10 teeth, you have a 4.10 diff. The only other way I know of is to jack your car up. Make a mark on a rear tire and align the mark to a stationary reference point and mark that as well. Now crawl under the car and do the same with the drive shaft. Put the car in neutral. Have someone under the car watching the driveshaft while someone rotates the tire until it has made exactly one complete revolution. The person under the car has to count how many revolutions the drive shaft has made. The drive shaft revolutions are a bit trickier to watch as you need to be able to estimate a partial revolution at the end. Simply put, if you rotate your tire one full revolution and the drive shaft has rotated a bit over 4 revolutions, you have approximately4.10 gears in the rear end.
:eek: holy crap Rruuff :Woot: Radio Wave 101 and now Gear Ratio 101 all in the same year ... :Smuggrin:
:nailbiting: ... so what time should each of three separate legs in Alberta start off in order to eat Dinner in Moose Jaw at the same time? :Shamefullyembarrased:

Last edited:
Spence hold off on the accolades. Eric never once mentioned the beer holder guy, so critical to any mathematical equation.

Lol... yes. That was a silly mistake. Sorry seppi. Don't try either method without a beer holder guy and a sufficient quantity of beer. :thumbs:

Well revolutions it is. I’m sure we all know what’s involed in getting the diff cover off. I replaced one ina friends 88. No fun at all. Thanks guys. And beer it is lol

Reactions: Black 03 Z06
Now that we’ve got the explanation for gear ratios simplified,can you tell us about the Flux Capacitor? :p :Biggrin:

I always wondered how that worked. You explained it like a boss !!

Reactions: Rruuff Day
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.