I honestly don't understand why they expect tips at this course. I am paying good money for them to provide a service. They make a decent wage I'm sure. Why am I asked to pay more money? I hear people say they are very good instructors and they do a very good job of teaching you and that's why they tip. But that's the entire reason I'm going there in the first place, because it is a top notch racing school for Corvettes. So I would be getting exactly what I expect.

I have a contractor painting my garage right now. I am paying for him to complete a service. I will not be tipping him after its done, and he would never expect one because that doesn't make sense. We already have an agreed upon price. I don't see how this course is any different personally. I'm not going to stand around and be the only one not tipping or anything, and I'm sure ill shell out $40 at the end of it when they ask, but that's because I feel pressured and obligated. Not because I want to.

Just my 2 cents.

Reactions: smackYYZ
I honestly don't understand why they expect tips at this course. I am paying good money for them to provide a service. They make a decent wage I'm sure. Why am I asked to pay more money? I hear people say they are very good instructors and they do a very good job of teaching you and that's why they tip. But that's the entire reason I'm going there in the first place, because it is a top notch racing school for Corvettes. So I would be getting exactly what I expect.

I have a contractor painting my garage right now. I am paying for him to complete a service. I will not be tipping him after its done, and he would never expect one because that doesn't make sense. We already have an agreed upon price. I don't see how this course is any different personally. I'm not going to stand around and be the only one not tipping or anything, and I'm sure ill shell out $40 at the end of it when they ask, but that's because I feel pressured and obligated. Not because I want to.

Just my 2 cents.

I'm with Blue Bomber....this was a great course, but then again it was expected. I have no idea what the instructors get paid, but what I do know is their job would be viewed by most as 40hrs of fun every week. I know they also get to break in all the new Corvettes which would certainly be a benefit. The notion of tipping the instructors felt a bit awkward to me, but maybe I'm just cheap :confused:.

Tipping is a western civilization failure that has reaped massive benefit for employers. I travel to Korea, China and Taiwan every year and tipping is not done there; it is not even the norm. I leave for Taiwan in 2 weeks actually. In fact, if you try to tip the wrong person you will get an earful because, too many there, tipping is your attempt at acknowledging to someone that you are of a class better than them. Absolute truth. I could tell you a story oif my attempts to tip an amazing Desert Chef one time that would make you laugh; it is a story worth repeating...but anyway.

Having said that, I tip...very well sometimes. When I get remarked service for anything that I think is worthy of just a bit more of a thank you, I tip. When someone goes outside of their job description to satisfy me, I tip. It is a form of thank you. It is a bit more than just a hand shake. Heck, even with vehicle or house repairs, if the estimate was good and the work was amazing...I will throw a tip and say "Take someone out to dinner on me'. Am I rich? Not a chance...grew up struggling and everyone I know thinks I am selling drugs now to get this car.

On the other hand, if someone insults me, the choice is always nice to not tip, or tip low. I will even tell you that I tipped a single quarter for dinner service once. My server was bringing our plates, brought our food and then her cell went off just before she placed the food down. She rushed putting it down and then answered her phone...getting distracted with a spousal disagreement right in front of us for several minutes...AT THE KEG YET! I figured the quarter was a hint that she could have used the public phone NOT IN FRONT OF MY TABLE eheheh.

Getting specifically to Ron Fellows, I'de bet a million dollars nobody there expects tips and the service there is as amazing as it probably is for the Corvette Museum deliveries. Might I tip? Could I see myself throwing out a couple of 20s and mentioning to my driver to take his closest to a great night out with my help. Absolutely. It is human nature. It is not an expectation and it is not required. It is no more than that extra handshake and thank you.

After all, the cost of 2 day Z06 training is $3846 and GM is covering $2846...I am already plenty ahead aren't I?

Just got back this morning on the Red Eye from Spring Mountain. Was a great time, learned lots.

Like VINDIC8R, it did not dawn on me to tip, but then I saw one participant tip one of the instructors a few 50s. Now he was in a different snack bracket then I am.

Like Blue_Bomber I thought they do alright, they get to drive brand new Corvettes in which to commute for the cars 1500 mile break in mileage. So having a great job, great benefits, car, food, fun job and get the opportunity to continue honing their professional driving skills for free I did not feel the need.

Now I didn't have one instructor that stood out and specifically helped me and if I did maybe that would change my tune. But over the course of the two days we had 8 instructors that we worked with us and they were all very good. Maybe 2 or 3 of them stood out to me as giving me more then the others, but to me it wasn't one amazing instructor that shone above the rest. They were all high quality & very professional. So then the dilemma would be do you tip them all?

I wouldn't tip them, given the cost of the course etc.. not liking a waitress job where tips are fundamental to survival. Tipping has gone overboard if you ask me. I dealt with customers for decades in a professional role, never would I have expected a tip, pay your bill , covers the cost of my services, thanks for your business.

Reactions: smackYYZ
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread