Oct 16, 2016
VetteCoins
Car
C6 GS Convertible
Province
ON
Hello, has anyone used the Rhino 12000 lb capacity ramps for changing oil & filter on a C4? I am concerned that they will interfere with front of the car before front wheels are on the ramps?

Hello, has anyone used the Rhino 12000 lb capacity ramps for changing oil & filter on a C4? I am concerned that they will interfere with front of the car before front wheels are on the ramps?
Not sure about the C4 but I have a set and have to ramp my C7 up to the Rhinos with supported 2 x 10 planks. Alone, they are way too steep to just drive up on.

Not sure about the C4 but I have a set and have to ramp my C7 up to the Rhinos with supported 2 x 10 planks. Alone, they are way too steep to just drive up on.

Thanks I’m sure I could make them work using 2x0’s as well

DL, not sure if this helps but having a C5 trying to jack up the front is, well, difficult. I built a pair of ramps out of 2 x 8's (I am not wealthy like Eric so no 2 x 10's :Biggrin: ). I cut three pieces of board each one with as steep a miter as my saw would allow. They are about three feet long so the car can just sort of bounce up over each section. There is a stopper on the top piece. This allows me to get the jack under the car then I lift it and take the ramps out and put blocking under the tires. On a C5 the car is supposed to be level to change the oil so the back has to be jacked up and blocked as well.

I found not taking the homemade ramps out made it awkward for my wife to crawl under the car to change the oil. The blocking works well, does not get in the way and it solid. Just don't forget to put the ramps back under the wheels before lowering the car. That of course will lead to the stuck jack syndrome which is not good.

Good thinking, my wife isn’t very big so having her change the oil would mean I wouldn’t have to raise car as much to get my big belly underneath 😝.
I like your idea of jacking and placing blocks under the wheels, I could raise the front by jacking on each side at same time so body isn’t over stressed. Then place blocking under the wheels.
Oil plug is at back of the pan and I can’t find anything that says C4’s have to be level for changing oil.
My son has jack stands and there is lots of youtube stuff about using them but I’m not sure they would be needed for changing oil & filter.

• Haha
Reactions: Black 03 Z06
DL, I made mine out of scrap wood so the cost was virtually nothing. Glued some sticky rubber matt under the bottom so they don't slide, that was a problem by the way I had with a set of loaner composite ramps. I can sit one on the floor and turn the other upside down so they stack when not in use.

What ever you do take the issue of safety very seriously. If you can get jack stands or whatever you need to ensure that car does not come down when it is not supposed to.

DL, not sure if this helps but having a C5 trying to jack up the front is, well, difficult. I built a pair of ramps out of 2 x 8's (I am not wealthy like Eric so no 2 x 10's :Biggrin: ). I cut three pieces of board each one with as steep a miter as my saw would allow. They are about three feet long so the car can just sort of bounce up over each section. There is a stopper on the top piece. This allows me to get the jack under the car then I lift it and take the ramps out and put blocking under the tires. On a C5 the car is supposed to be level to change the oil so the back has to be jacked up and blocked as well.

I found not taking the homemade ramps out made it awkward for my wife to crawl under the car to change the oil. The blocking works well, does not get in the way and it solid. Just don't forget to put the ramps back under the wheels before lowering the car. That of course will lead to the stuck jack syndrome which is not good.

If you can afford 2 x 8's Murray, you can afford to retire that old bumper jack... :Biggrin:

1569680788929.png

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.