Sep 19, 2017
Ayr Ontario
VetteCoins
Car
2010 Coupe M6 Blade
Hi guys....I currently have Contenential Extreme Contact summer tires. The rear trend depth is 10mm and the front 4mm. The fronts will need to be changed before the rear. I was planning on changing to Dunlop Direzza DZ102 on all four at some point but now I know the rears have a lot of life left and I don’t want to prematurely change them. So.....the question is do I have to replace the front tires with the same make and model as the rears or could I get away with mixing them up....I expect I know the answer but I would like your thoughts. I do not race on or off track but like performance.

Cheers
Kevin

Yes Kevin I think you know the answer. For me I would want matching tires just to keep the car predictable and not drive the active handling insane trying to figure out why the car is not consistent. (back or front slipping out) :eek:

Were these tires put on at the same time? Is your alignment oK? Seems odd to scrub off your fronts so much faster than the burning off of the backs. Especially on a Corvette as we like to smoke those back ones now and then.
I know some of the guys have had issues like this with the fronts as well. Likely they will be chiming in here soon.

D

Yes Kevin I think you know the answer. For me I would want matching tires just to keep the car predictable and not drive the active handling insane trying to figure out why the car is not consistent. (back or front slipping out) :eek:

Were these tires put on at the same time? Is your alignment oK? Seems odd to scrub off your fronts so much faster than the burning off of the backs. Especially on a Corvette as we like to smoke those back ones now and then.
I know some of the guys have had issues like this with the fronts as well. Likely they will be chiming in here soon.

D

I don’t know awhen the tires where changed I have just bought the car before winter..I think I will just buy new matching fronts and have the alignment checked. And yes I suspected the answer.

Thanks

Ahhh ok now it makes sense. Someone else worked the rears off and replaced them before you got the car.
Sounds like a good plan if you like the performance of those tires. I’ve never had them but lots of guys run them.

Oh the fun days of owning a Corvette. :Biggrin:

It is odd that the fronts are wore so much differently. It does almost makes one wonder if there is an alignment issue. Usually the fronts will scuff the inside edge to the cords long before the full tread is wore down. Especially if the camber is setup for the track. As far as mixing tire makes, I know some people that do but I myself don't know enough about tires and wouldn't take that chance. My recommendation would be to call it a wash, replace them all, and try to sell the rears. A 10mm tread is basically a new tire depth and someone who drags their car a lot might pick them up.

Reactions: Brent08
Kevin, just my opinion but I think I would want to keep the tires the same make, tread patten and compound. If you never push the car you might never feel the difference but if you do you may find the handling a little quirky. Kevin what Corvette do you have?

Tough to part with hard earned cash but in this case a full set of tires is probably the right answer. Or could you find two fronts the same as the rear in design? Just replace them and save for what you eventually want. Have a good look at US prices and perhaps have them shipped to Buffalo or Niagara Falls (so many US companies ship in the lower 48 for free). There are at least two warehousing companies down in that area whose business is handling your goods shipped to them. Small fee but worth it. CBI is one of them although I read they are temporarily closed as they are moving but a new company has just started up. Send me a PM if you can't find the details.

Good luck Kevin. Take the long way home indeed!

Reactions: ddgermann
My C6 I ended up with mismatched street tires the entire time I owned it. Even autocrossed it like that. I never had an issue. I would agree that the ideal circumstance is to replace all 4 at the same time, or at least replace two with the same model of tire, but for me it wasn't worth the money.

Kevin, just my opinion but I think I would want to keep the tires the same make, tread patten and compound. If you never push the car you might never feel the difference but if you do you may find the handling a little quirky. Kevin what Corvette do you have?

Tough to part with hard earned cash but in this case a full set of tires is probably the right answer. Or could you find two fronts the same as the rear in design? Just replace them and save for what you eventually want. Have a good look at US prices and perhaps have them shipped to Buffalo or Niagara Falls (so many US companies ship in the lower 48 for free). There are at least two warehousing companies down in that area whose business is handling your goods shipped to them. Small fee but worth it. CBI is one of them although I read they are temporarily closed as they are moving but a new company has just started up. Send me a PM if you can't find the details.

Good luck Kevin. Take the long way home indeed!

Hi it is a 2010 C6 1LT M6 with NPP and Nav...other than that stock.

Attachments

• 33CF7191-70B4-4367-BCAE-6D0A7D43CFDA.jpeg
    33CF7191-70B4-4367-BCAE-6D0A7D43CFDA.jpeg
    646.7 KB · Views: 18
Thanks guys...I plan to find a pair of matching tires for the front. They may be discontinued but will be replaced likely by something close enough. Likely the rears were worn too much to certify so were replaced before the fronts. Had the same issue when I sold my Mustang GT.

IMO..... Traditionally, tires should match and I would replace all 4 - Having said that, with10mm tread remaining on the rear and with new tires placed on the front, stability and safety will still be present (taking for granted that suspension components are fine). Ask your tire dealer what 'trade in' value they will give you for the rears if you buy 4 new tires from them as opposed to just two.

I would get the tires you want for the front. A/S +3. for me but get something you want

then burn off the back ones leaving about the car and impressing your new friends. That is us

then buy the back set to match the new front and start putting on the miles

that is my input. Jeff

The AS 3+ is gaining popularity as an all season tire if you are looking for that performance. They have been available in many sizes for a year or so now so we are beginning to see some experienced reviews on the tire. Some good, some not so good. I have a friend with the AS3+ on his Camaro and other than a bit of extra road noise, he is happy with them so far. But I don't drive my Corvette is sub-zero temps, nor do I spiritedly drive in the rain. I am happy so far with the PSS ZP and come such time, I will likely replace with the same tire. I carry a plug kit and a mini air pump and have fixed tires on the road with other vehicles but I also love the run-flat capability if I absolutely need it. JMHO

The AS 3+ is gaining popularity as an all season tire if you are looking for that performance. They have been available in many sizes for a year or so now so we are beginning to see some experienced reviews on the tire. Some good, some not so good. I have a friend with the AS3+ on his Camaro and other than a bit of extra road noise, he is happy with them so far. But I don't drive my Corvette is sub-zero temps, nor do I spiritedly drive in the rain. I am happy so far with the PSS ZP and come such time, I will likely replace with the same tire. I carry a plug kit and a mini air pump and have fixed tires on the road with other vehicles but I also love the run-flat capability if I absolutely need it. JMHO

Agreed but I drive me Corvette in plus 7 in the spring and fall, no loss of traction with the +3 but the factory tires spin a lot

Since I do not track or auto cross the car and do,not drive it to 9.5 out of 10 there is no need for the summer only tires,
especially if you want to spin them to be a man

Jeff

Agreed but I drive me Corvette in plus 7 in the spring and fall, no loss of traction with the +3 but the factory tires spin a lot

Since I do not track or auto cross the car and do,not drive it to 9.5 out of 10 there is no need for the summer only tires,
especially if you want to spin them to be a man

Jeff

I also drive mine at +7 ... I also don't spin my tires to be a man. I spin them to be a boy. :Smug:

I found that the Extreme Contact DW have been replaced by the Extreme Contact Sport....I will get 2 fronts to go with the rears.

Cheers

Sounds like a good plan. I was going to say that I wouldn’t be that worried about a mismatch pair between the front and back as long as you aren’t putting on an all season on the front with a high performance tire in the rear, or mixing radials with bias-ply tires (just had to say that. :D). The reason is that you aren’t tracking the car or doing highly spirited driving, so any small characterist difference between the front and rear tires won’t be notiable.
Now, if you were mismatching side to side, that would be a different story. :D
Anyway, nice to know you have a plan. The continentals should work well.

Sounds like a good plan. I was going to say that I wouldn’t be that worried about a mismatch pair between the front and back as long as you aren’t putting on an all season on the front with a high performance tire in the rear, or mixing radials with bias-ply tires (just had to say that. :D). The reason is that you aren’t tracking the car or doing highly spirited driving, so any small characterist difference between the front and rear tires won’t be notiable.
Now, if you were mismatching side to side, that would be a different story. :D
Anyway, nice to know you have a plan. The continentals should work well.

Thanks I am never short of a plan but it good to have here to provide input.....by the way I never spin my tires cause all I hear is cash register ding and see dollar signs floating away! ;-)

Kevin. I have to disagree with Riley on his comment about " not being worried about a manufacturer mismatch"
Tire companies might achieve the same level of performance, but may use different rubber compounds to get there.
Sure you may not notice the difference in street use. But do you want to take the chance and scuff a curb and perhaps bend a rim or worse.
Stay safe.....get the Continentals

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.