Sep 3, 2019
VetteCoins
Car
Corvette C8 2020
Province
QC
Hi to all,

Probably I will receive my C8 next week according to my seller and the financial manager contacted me and proposed the replacement insurance, the extended protection plan and the prepaid maintenance.

I plan to keep the C8 probably for 3-4 years at most and will exchange/upgrade for the Z06 or ZR1 or Zora and I will drive between 12000-14000 km per year. I don't know what to decide...

What are your thoughts and recommandations from the C8 owners?

Here are the costs. Are the prices reasonable and is it worthed?

Replacement guarantee cost:

24 months : 4778$ plus taxe

36 months : 5603$ plus taxe

60 months : 8022$ plus taxe

Extended Protection Plan:

60 months/60 000km : 2488$ plus taxe 0$ deductible

60 months/80 000km : 2694$ plus taxe 0$ deductible

Prepaid maintenance:

60 months/60 000km : 1828$ plus taxe 0$ deductible

60 months/80 000km : 2972$ plus taxe 0$ deductible

Thank you!

Ian

My agent proposed the same thing (replacement guarantee) and I took it. It will pay off for the first year but it gets progressively more expensive afterwards and becomes not worth it. If my C8 gets totalled in the first year I get a 2021. If it's totalled in the second year I get a 2022 and so on. Insurance companies want to get a foot in the door and figure you won't cancel. I will.
Extended warranty is well worth the money for a first year model. This is not a Corvette c1 to c7. It's a brand new car with a Corvette logo albeit designed and built by the Corvette team. I have a folder of bills as thick as a phonebook for my '88 Baretta. Doors falling off, steering wheel falling off etc. etc .etc. It's cheap insurance IMHO.

Reactions: RockMan and carbuff
My insurance company would not allow the replacement rider as they said it was ‘red flagged’. I always take that as it eliminates the chance of losing your shirt if the car is totalled. Was t available to me this time. Interesting 🧐

• Wow
Reactions: Murray20c8
I used to sell extended maintenance/warranty plans. The commission was as high as 50% on some plans. That still left room for profit for the dealer who was selling a plan from another company who still had room for profit as well. The dealers or GM are not usually providing the warranty it's a third party.
My insurance company gives me coverage on the initial purchase price for 2 years at no charge!
With a 3 year bumper to bumper, 5 year powertrain and 2 oil changes with the car, don't let them instill fear, uncertainty and doubt in you.
They all get huge commissions, and that includes the service writers who get bonuses to write up all sorts of stuff.
There is a good reason they don't have the salesman sell the extra fear plans.

IMO extended warranties are a waste of money as well as maintenance packages especially if you are only keeping the vehicle for 3 to 4 yrs.
Totally agree...I've never bothered with these on any of our vehicles, including the 2019 C7 I bought last year. And I intend to keep that one for 20+ years...had my C3 and C5 for 15 years each.

Perhaps I'll be the lone voice here...

My current drive is a 2016 Mercedes E550 and I got way more than what I paid in extended warranties. I went through 3 tires and one rim (compliments of Edmonton's notorious potholes) so that more than covered the cost of the tire/rim warranty. Then for the car itself, I had the 360 degree outer cameras/safety monitoring equipment replaced twice, due to a water problem which shorted them out when going through heavy rains and bad puddles. Likely a poor design which is surprising since this was the end year for that model design. But those would have cost me $3,500 each time, w/o the extended warranty. I had a few other items under the extended warranty but I'm giving you the hi-lights. I purchased the extended warranties since this is my first Mercedes and I was worried about the electronics and higher Mercedes repair costs (OEM parts) and those worries proved well-founded. I still love the car but now with all warranties gone, all repair costs are on me.

I know it's not a Corvette and most here say their pre-C8 Corvettes have done well. My concern is the almost-all-new C8 and what might happen down the road. Perhaps it'll be less of a concern for others once we move off this intro year, but I plan to purchase the extended warranty for my 2020 C8 and with the 2LT package there's added electronics. I think it's great advice not to buy the extended warranty when the car is picked up, but rather near the end of the regular bumper-to-bumper warranty expiry. I plan to shop around then and see who will give me the best price. By then the hype should have died down and there will be a lot more C8's around. Just my 2 cents and to give another perspective. Again, it's how risk adverse you are and what you're prepared to spend for the extra protection, so each to his/her own.

Last edited:
Reactions: kerry4
Perhaps I'll be the lone voice here...

My current drive is a 2016 Mercedes E550 and I got way more than what I paid in extended warranties. I went through 3 tires and one rim (compliments of Edmonton's notorious potholes) so that more than covered the cost of the tire/rim warranty. Then for the car itself, I had the 360 degree outer cameras/safety monitoring equipment replaced twice, due to a water problem which shorted them out when going through heavy rains and bad puddles. Likely a poor design which is surprising since this was the end year for that model design. But those would have cost me $3,500 each time, w/o the extended warranty. I had a few other items under the extended warranty but I'm giving you the hi-lights. I purchased the extended warranties since this is my first Mercedes and I was worried about the electronics and higher Mercedes repair costs (OEM parts) and those worries proved well-founded. I still love the car but now with all warranties gone, all repair costs are on me.

I know it's not a Corvette and most here say their pre-C8 Corvettes have done well. My concern is the almost-all-new C8 and what might happen down the road. Perhaps it'll be less of a concern for others once we move off this intro year, but I plan to purchase the extended warranty for my 2020 C8 and with the 2LT package there's added electronics. I think it's great advice not to buy the extended warranty when the car is picked up, but rather near the end of the regular bumper-to-bumper warranty expiry. I plan to shop around then and see who will give me the best price. By then the hype should have died down and there will be a lot more C8's around. Just my 2 cents and to give another perspective. Again, it's how risk adverse you are and what you're prepared to spend for the extra protection, so each to his/her own.
Stands to reason on a MB. Can be a money pit after the 4 year 80km expires. Nice cars though.

Hi to all,

Probably I will receive my C8 next week according to my seller and the financial manager contacted me and proposed the replacement insurance, the extended protection plan and the prepaid maintenance.

I plan to keep the C8 probably for 3-4 years at most and will exchange/upgrade for the Z06 or ZR1 or Zora and I will drive between 12000-14000 km per year. I don't know what to decide...

What are your thoughts and recommandations from the C8 owners?

Here are the costs. Are the prices reasonable and is it worthed?

Replacement guarantee cost:

24 months : 4778$ plus taxe

36 months : 5603$ plus taxe

60 months : 8022$ plus taxe

Extended Protection Plan:

60 months/60 000km : 2488$ plus taxe 0$ deductible

60 months/80 000km : 2694$ plus taxe 0$ deductible

Prepaid maintenance:

60 months/60 000km : 1828$ plus taxe 0$ deductible

60 months/80 000km : 2972$ plus taxe 0$ deductible

Thank you!

Ian
Replacement Insurance for 5 years through BelAir Direct for my 2019 GMC is only $67/year. So i would shop around. It should not be more than $1000 for 5 years.

There is replacement insurance that gets you the same year car as yours that was written off and there is replacement insurance that gives you a brand new car. I made out like a thief when I rolled my 2000 Camaro with 250,000 kms on it. There were 3 2000 Camaro's on Autotrader, they gave me the price of the middle one and I bought the cheapest one with only 50K on the clock. BUT if I had the other insurance I would have been given a 2010 Camaro.
One version is much cheaper than the other.

The Chevrolet warranty will provide you with peace of mind for the time and distance you plan to use the C8. The bumper to bumper warranty does not cover wheels and a bad pothole strike will cost you some money but that is a basic risk management decision - what is the probability of that occurrence and if it happens what is the financial impact? Only you know the road conditions you will face for the 12-14K miles of annual driving. Does the cost of a wheel repair greatly exceed the cost of the insurance? I have purchased many new cars over the years and have never opted for extended warranties of other forms of dealer provided protections - and I have never once regretted that decision. It's your call but you can keep a lot of money in your bank account for contingencies by not taking the extra protection coverage.

Reactions: COP8 and kerry4
The Chevrolet warranty will provide you with peace of mind for the time and distance you plan to use the C8. The bumper to bumper warranty does not cover wheels and a bad pothole strike will cost you some money but that is a basic risk management decision - what is the probability of that occurrence and if it happens what is the financial impact? Only you know the road conditions you will face for the 12-14K miles of annual driving. Does the cost of a wheel repair greatly exceed the cost of the insurance? I have purchased many new cars over the years and have never opted for extended warranties of other forms of dealer provided protections - and I have never once regretted that decision. It's your call but you can keep a lot of money in your bank account for contingencies by not taking the extra protection coverage.

The insurance companies have this down to a fine art to get more money out of you. When my wife bought her new Chevy Trax she opted for the extended warranty which wasn't cheap.Think it was around $2500.00. Never had one problem with the car until the warranty ran out and then had some problems with the turbo. That was a $1500.00 repair bill. Then they said the AC needed some repairs for another $1,000.00 to fix. We got rid of it instead and bought a new Honda CRV. Problem solved. My C8 should be here in a few weeks and not buying any extended warranties.

Check with your insurance company on replacement insurance. I have a reduced deductible glass insurance and replacement insurance for the first 5 year and I pay it yearly and it is less than what you were quoted for replacement insurance..

lf your car is a lemon just make sure you have theft and colishion on it and put it on a flat bed truck and roll it off on some country road with deep ditches and big trees at 80mph get someone to report it stolen and collect the insurance.

No... Just don't do that. Also do be mindful of the fact that this very publicly accessible forum has rules against posts promoting criminal activity including fraud.

Check with your insurance company on replacement insurance. I have a reduced deductible glass insurance and replacement insurance for the first 5 year and I pay it yearly and it is less than what you were quoted for replacement insurance..
I believe our insurance company does have a one year replacement value. Good thing for people to check in on or inquire about it if there is a small cost to get it.

I believe our insurance company does have a one year replacement value. Good thing for people to check in on or inquire about it if there is a small cost to get it.
Like Kerry4 we get a 5 year full replacement on our policy also. Used to be 2 years but they increased it to 5 a couple of years ago.

lf your car is a lemon just make sure you have theft and colishion on it and put it on a flat bed truck and roll it off on some country road with deep ditches and big trees at 80mph get someone to report it stolen and collect the insurance.
And pick up your go to jail card along with a lawyer who will show you how to spend your insurance money real quick. Oh, the insurance company will want their money back.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread