Oct 29, 2014
montreal
VetteCoins
Car
2015 z51 on order
Pocked up my 2015 z51 last Friday. Drove around for about 50km's that day,haven't driven her since. When I parked her in the garage I noticed a nail head in the middle of rear drivers side tire. TPMS says pressure is ok / no air loss (yet I guess). Any one know if a run flat tire can be patched? Anyone have any experience with this....I heard plugging is out of their question. Thanks for your help. A.

I have a screwdriver bit last year in my rear rigth pss tire. Zero pressure, run to home 30 km then call road assistance to towing to dealers. He remove tire and put a patch inside the tire. No problem since, run like new on road and on track.

Reactions: Keith Tedford
Check to see if you got tire road hazards warranty from your dealer. Often it's included and customer doesn't know/remember.

Otherwise you may want to look up DynaPlug's do it yourself kit. They are also a supporting vendor here.

Dynaplug Tire Repair Tool - Canadian Corvette Forums

I hear good things about them.

Good luck!

DynaPlug is a good system as many of us have realized. Highly recommended.

Bare in mine tho that a repaired tire loses its speed rating (which doesn't mean much if you're not at Daytona or Texas mile doing a top speed run).

C.

Yes, a run flat tire can be patched. I had to do one in my 2006 Z06 years ago on a road trip down the west coast ( picked up a nail in the tire ). The Chev dealer when I got into a smaller town was closed so what I did was bought a small tire pump and filled my tire every hour driving.

Now, if you use up your 100 - 200 km of run flat use then your tire is no longer a run flat anymore. then you would have to replace the tire and that means replacing two tires. Having a mini pump like I sell will save your run flat usage keeping the air inflated.

I wish I had a dynaplug repair tool when this happened years ago, I didn't but now I do.

I do sell these, people are happy to carry them as it gives them piece of mind, now they can run non run flat tires.

Our forum boss here had to use his, read here http://www.canadiancorvetteforums.c...scussion/6132-first-roadside-repair-ever.html

PS, I am still at 90c dollar pricing. I haven't adjusted to the new lower 79c dollar that has happened over the winter.

BDL Motorsports - Dynaplug main page

Thanks, Brian

I have Dynaplug kits in my cars and frankly I hope I never have to write a "customer review" report. Just having the kit that I know works is like having a little insurance for when things go wrong. I don't have run flats so for me it is even more important to have the kit.

They are a bargain my opinion.

Reactions: Keith Tedford
I used the KIT to get into edmonton after driving 50 miles home on a flat

it got me to the tire shop for 4 new tires as it was time, never got to spin off the old ones,

I wish they made a larger kit for truck tires,

Brain I am in for another kit (one for the wifey) at your pricing will be in edmonton shortly next couple of weeks take you for lunch as well,

it should be mandatory that everyone who joins this forum buys a kit

Jeffer2013

In my shop I only use patch plug. If it is not to close from the corner of the tire , it can be fix the same as a regular tire. That is what I use to fix tires on police car. My shop is on Papineau ave in Montreal, Stop by and I will tell you if it can be fix. The Dynaplug kit is good to keep in case, these cars are not that easy to put on a flat bed whitout the risk of damaging the front splitter or the any lower front parts. Stephane

Brain I am in for another kit (one for the wifey) at your pricing will be in edmonton shortly next couple of weeks take you for lunch as well,

it should be mandatory that everyone who joins this forum buys BRIAN LUNCH

Jeffer2013

changed part of the wording.... kidding.... haha

lunch.. wahooo..

Yes, some say this tool should be in every car, runflats or not.

They now make a smaller kit for tubeless mountain bikes ( have them but not had time to update my web site yet )

the extreme is best for trucks, larger top for more pressure.

Brian

Attachments

• maxresdefault.jpg
    maxresdefault.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 12
I have the Dynaplug kit in the Corvette just in case. I had a front tire plugged but not patched in 2012 and the tire is still holding air fine. These are the original to the car wheels and tires and are just used on the car for winter storage now along with some early spring and late fall driving.

Last edited:
changed part of the wording.... kidding.... haha

lunch.. wahooo..

Yes, some say this tool should be in every car, runflats or not.

They now make a smaller kit for tubeless mountain bikes ( have them but not had time to update my web site yet )

the extreme is best for trucks, larger top for more pressure.

Brian

Lunch is on brother -- just not sure when Steamer and I will be near Edmonton again......so you're gonna have to come my way to get it. For sure if you're ever down this way let us know and we'll all buy you lunch.

The "tubeless bike kit" sounds interesting for sure. Put me down for one and some refills for my auto dynaplug.

Cheers
Colin.

I can't stand it anymroe and have to chime in.

Guys! I would not use something like a Dynaplug. There is a reason why the speed rating drops to only 90mph. These type of plugs have very little preventing them from working their way out. I use the cord plug, which makes a loop inside the tire, thus preventing it from working its way out. Ditto for actual patches. Both have something inside the tire that causes HUGE resistance to pulling out.

I am perplexed by guys who know apparently little about tire patching, passing kudos on this type of plug. It is no different from the inferior rubber plugs, that work their way out. Yes, it comes in a nice compact stainless or aluminum holder, and looks high tech. That is where it ends!

You use a Dyna too small, and you got serious problem. Nothing holding it in except the goo on the cord. Not risking my life with these.

It costs stupid money for what you do not get.

One other thing. Website says it does not need rasping, blah, blah. So why does the kit include a rasp probe?

Look, I have been using plug lits for 40 years, and have lots of experience with them. I highly recommend the Black Jack plugging system, especially for speed rated tires like ours.

Last edited:
thanks carbuff I understand where you are coming from,

for me I needed a way to travel about 145 miles and the combination ofthe wrecked runflat and the tire repair kit WORKED FOR ME,

I agree that 90 mph is risky on tire repairs that is why I WOULD BUY 2 NEW TIRES FOR THE BACK (it was on the back) and all I NEED is to get to the nearest place where I can get some rubber shipped and put on (mmmm figure that one out)

it was as simple as the instructions and I am happy,

the rasping probe is so that we can .......... oh never mind my humour would be lost on most anyway.

you are right about the speed rated tires, but 90 mph is too fast on a tire that was repaired wrong at the local fountain tire store and blew 40 miles later at 60 mph on the hiway, thank god for run flats, and stupid tire shop took 3 hours and 3 guyus to fix the flat as their equipment would not take the GS rims,

so new tires it was, said good by to the good year run craps and went with potenza run flats the choice of hollywoods best or so they say

thanks for your input all is welcome

Jeffer2013

Carbuff I can't seem to find the spare in my trunk, oh wait there isn't one. I support the idea of the Dynaplug Kit as simple insurance. In the middle of absolutely nowhere I hope the kit will get me if not home at least to the nearest tire repair facility.

I don't think anyone believes that a damaged tire does not need a second look as soon as possible. The premise of the kit was never anything more than that.

@black03 - nice generalization....but wrong. Many believe. I for one.
I Permanently fix my flats with Black Jack, not temporarily.

Canadian Tire sells the equivalent kit for about $15. Not same quality of tools, but does the same job for light use in an emergency.
A tire pump compressor for another $15.

Total $30 for a permanent repair kit that will do dozens of tires.
And a large plastic garbage bag to sit on the ground, about 50 cents.

Permanent repair, with no tire shop yahoos monkeying with your runflats and wheels.( granted, I have a great tire shop that will not mess up runflats about 50km away). Use them for new tires only.

I have a special car that you can not get runflats for, but that has no spare.
It does however come with a phone number for a tow truck, and the only place that should touch it is dealers that are during some drives, 2000km away.
I learned what works and what does not.

Last edited:
Bottom line is, who do you trust more to fix a flat, youself, or a tire shop? Me, I trust me!
( see Jeffer's comment above about a bad tire shop experience).

Less likelyhood of rim damage ( you better believe it happens, and a lot).
And it is 100x more convenient. :)

Last edited:
@black03 - I think you misunderstood.
I Permanently fix my flats with Black Jack, not temporarily.

Canadian Tire sells the equivalent kit for about $15. Not same quality, but does the job.
A tire pump compressor for another $15.

Total $30 for a permanent repair kit that will do dozens of tires.
And a large plastic garbage bag to sit on the ground, about 50 cents.

Permanent repair, with no tire shop yahoos monkeying with your runflats and wheels.( granted, I have a great tire shop that will not mess up runflats about 50km away). Use them for new tires only.

I have a special car that you can not get runflats for, but that has no spare.
It does however come with a phone number for a tow truck, and the only place that should touch it is dealers that are during some drives, 2000km away.
I learned what works and what does not.

I think you're misunderstanding the DynaPlug kit.
Easy on one of our sponsors here Carbuff. Brian ( 2009CGMZR1) did a lot of testing and investigating on this product and explained his product very well to us initially and we don't expect any more from it than promised.

Specifically the DynaPlug system a temp fix that gets you home or to a shop where inspection of the tire is recommended and patched properly as needed.
A patch is the proper fix that a temp fix cannot match.

Have you actually tried the DynaPlug? A lot of us have and we're very happy with it and happy to support our sponsor here.
If it's not your choice then so be it but please don't come on here and downgrade a system that were quite happy with and many of us have actually proven to be useful and good.

If you are happy with your BlackJack from Canadian Tire then good for you.

We're quite happy with DynaPlug....ok.

Colin.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.