Dec 6, 2019
VetteCoins
Car
2001 Corvette
Province
ON
Trying to remove the right hand muffler, off my C5, the exhaust pipe that is attached to the muffler which runs over the rear axe, doesn’t want to come back over the rear axe. It seems to be block by the automatic transmission, the exhaust pipe flange is catching on the side of the transmission. I tried turning the pipe in many different angles with no luck, any ideas, do not want to cut exhaust pipe.
The driver side muffler came off very easy.
Thanks Wattsie

Trying to remove the right hand muffler, off my C5, the exhaust pipe that is attached to the muffler which runs over the rear axe, doesn’t want to come back over the rear axe. It seems to be block by the automatic transmission, the exhaust pipe flange is catching on the side of the transmission. I tried turning the pipe in many different angles with no luck, any ideas, do not want to cut exhaust pipe.
The driver side muffler came off very easy.
Thanks Wattsie
You don't have to cut it. I assume this is a stock exhaust you are removing and you have dropped the sway bar and swung it around out of the way. If so, the right side axleback should come out with a clockwise corkscrew rotation. And you have to hold your tongue just right between your teeth while you are twisting it. ;) Good luck.

• Haha
Reactions: Black 03 Z06
You don't have to cut it. I assume this is a stock exhaust you are removing and you have dropped the sway bar and swung it around out of the way. If so, the right side axleback should come out with a clockwise corkscrew rotation. And you have to hold your tongue just right between your teeth while you are twisting it. ;) Good luck.
Thanks for your reply.
I dropped the sway bar and did the twisting corkscrew thing lol. Also the tongue trick, lol. But the exhaust flange was blocked by the transmission casing . I was working off my 4 post lift at the time.

Going to give it another try to remove it this spring. Thanks
I just went through the same drill and had the same problem.
I ended up removing the skid plate and heat shield from the right-side gas tank. Once the shields were off, there was more room, and the pipe easily wiggled out through there with a little twist and pull. It goes back in much easier - I guess the angle past the plastic gas tank is less obstructive going in.
When I removed the skid plate, the gas tank dropped down a couple of inches and stopped. It didn't appear to be hanging by any wires or pipes. I did jack the tank back up to its original position so it wouldn't interfere with the pipe while I pulled it out and pushed it back in. I also found it easier to remove and replace all the skid plate and heat shield bolts after I unbolted the muffler from the pipe and before I reattached the muffler to the pipe. You should also get new muffler-to-pipe gaskets.

• Informative
Reactions: Black 03 Z06
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.