Jun 17, 2019
VetteCoins
Car
2008 coupe
Province
AB
my removable roof rattles/clicks on the road. I love my c6 but the noise drives me crazy. Does anyone have a real fix. I've tried lubricating the contact points and cleaning the weather stripping.

There are good links on the roof panel topic of the C6 in the 2007-2008-2009 range for info (via Google) that might help 👍🏻

Last edited:
E-clips in beside the rollers on the lock down arms of the top will stop roller end movement. I bought the 5/32 "E" clips at CTC and installed them. Zero noise since and it has been about a year.

Last edited:
The procedures in this video are good and I do them annually. The first time time the pins needed tightening but since then they've stayed tight. I don't use GM weatherstrip lubricant, just some silicone spray on a cloth.

Cleaning the weatherstripping and applying a thin coat of silicone lube every year works for me. It reduces the friction noise but not completely. I never thought of tightening the contact-pins. Will do that next and see what happens. Thanks...great video!

Cleaning the weatherstripping and applying a thin coat of silicone lube every year works for me. It reduces the friction noise but not completely. I never thought of tightening the contact-pins. Will do that next and see what happens. Thanks...great video!
Also try adding an o ring to the front contact pins as @Area Z51 noted. Lubricating and tightening reduced some of my noise then the extra o rings almost eliminated it.

I tried O-rings, lubing, tightening the pins, and none of those solutions worked for me. Then, one day when I was riding shotgun, I put my hand on the right latch handle and I could feel the handle clicking in time with the noise. You might try that because you can easily check the driver's side, and get a passenger to check their side. What I did then was to remove the latch handles, clean and lube all friction surfaces with SuperLube, and then reassemble. This included a thin layer on the outer surface of the washers with the 'fingers' on them. You don't need to remove the roof to do this, and the whole job is maybe 15 minutes. You do need a #40 Torx bit for the machine screws that hold the latches in place, and a 3/8 or 1/2 ratchet. Just unscrew the screws, and the handle, thin washer, and screw will drop right out. Don't lose the thin washer! My thin washers were completely flat - the pic shows spring washers, so I'm not sure if there was a design change. The screws had a small amount of Blue Loctite applied from the factory, but I just used a couple of winds of Teflon tape to make sure the screws didn't back out. Not sure what the torque settings are supposed to be, so I snugged them up, but not excessively. I did leave the extra O-rings in place, so they may be part of the solution. However, if the O-ring solution works for you, keep a few extra around, because they tend to fall off when you remove the roof. The e-clip solution only works for the early version of the latch handle that had rollers, if it works at all.

Here is a pretty good discussion on the 'other' forum:

targa.JPG

As a final note, I've probably driven 16,000 Km in the 1 1/2 years since I did this and over some pretty rough roads in temps from 4C to 38C, had the roof on and off numerous times, and it's been absolutely quiet.

Last edited by a moderator:
The advice I've received has been incredible. I think I'll attack the problem today and take the car for a drive this week sometime if the weather improves. Thanks for the help

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.