Jul 28, 2019
VetteCoins
Car
1988 Corvette
Province
NS
Wondering what everyone did today as their form of remembrance.

I’ve stated before I retired this year from the RCAF. 29 years of service, 20 of those flying helicopter SAR.

For myself, it took it’s toll. You can only see so many things that are heartbreaking, horrifying, disgusting or face the certainty that you are going to die so many times before you...”snap”.

A few years ago, I was diagnosed PTSD (along with numberous serious physical injuries). Seems I had just seen and done too much and it finally broke my brain to the point where I just couldn’t bring myself to get back into the airplane. This ended my career.

Not a sob story about me though, I did my duty, saved lives and made a difference. I was one of the best they had, and had been told that many times. I reached the rank of Master Warrant Officer. Only one rank down from as high as you can go for an NCO. Many of my senior commanders were dissapointed when I “broke” as they wanted me to reach Chief Warrant Officer and move into command in a senior postion. Oh well: “candy and nuts”...etc. Sure; I’m F-d up, but at least it was done in a job where I made a difference.

Although I had “cheated the reaper” my whole career, my freinds were not all so lucky. I’ve personally folded 9 Canadian flags during my career and attended 21 funerals for fallen SAR heros. That’s almost one per year for my time in SAR. It’s not a game for fools or the foolish. It’s deadly serious, for dedicated and commited professionals only. Even then, sometimes even being “the best” isn’t good enough to get you out of a scrape...

As a result of my “condtion”, one of the things I have trouble with is crowds. Too much noise, too much movement, too much chaos. I just can’t attend a “standard” ceremony without it making me go batchit crazy.

So I do a more personal thing. 14 wing has a “memorial park”. Basically, it’s part of the base museum where stones are erected to remember and honor those from 14 wing that have fallen. It’s always deserted on remembrance day as the base sends contingents to the legions across the region. Consequently, the base is a “ghost town”. So I go there and stand in front of the marker for my fallen brothers. I then removed my poppies and place them at the stones for Tusker 27 and Tusker 914.

Tusker 27 was a Labrador helicopter that exploded in mid air above Gaspe and took 6 of my comrades with it.

Tusker 914 was a Cormorant helicopter that was CFIT off Canso, NS. There were 7 on board 914, 3 were drowned in the crash. This one has special meaning for me and is part of my mental issues. You see, I was supposed to be one that flight that night. I had bought a house and our closing/moving day was the day of the crash. Rather than work all day and fly all night, my brother took my flight for me. Becuase he took my flight, my student had to come off and he took a different student with him. The student he took with him was a young man he and I had trained to fly, I had given him his wings that put him in the airplane that night and bought the house which changed the scheduke and put him in the airplane. My brother’s name was Duane Brazil, and he was my freind from long ago having gone through basic all the way up to our SAR course together. The student was Trevor McDavid, father of 2 and wife pregs with a third. They were both Flight Engineers and the third was Kirk Noel. A SAR Tech. That they died and I lived is something I will carry with me forever. Something as random as buying a house meant that I would live and they would die. “Survivor guilt” is one hell of a heavy monkey to carry around on your back the rest of your life...

So I make sure that I stand in front of their stone every Nov 11 at 11am. It’s the least I can do for the men who took my bullet for me.

It wasn’t all somber though: took the vette. Salty roads be damned....

A8C192B7-E872-4846-9176-0E11CB1C2882.jpeg

3F8826EF-A2D5-47DA-A40F-BEA8EDEBE5B5.jpeg

E7180455-F5A3-42C9-9A17-3B7A4454501B.jpeg

4DFE336C-566B-4317-99B8-D1F11C8BCC71.jpeg

Last edited:
Thanks for that Tourmax and thanks also for your service. My wife and I were at the ceremony in Red Deer. Her dad fought in WW11, 13th Field Regiment, 78th Battery. Can't remember when we've missed a ceremony. Didn't take the Vette though. Was -21 here this morning.

For what you have done, thanks Tourmax, may you be at peace in your heart. I have a friend who served in Afghanistan (him and his wife) and I have seen the debilitating side of PTSD. I was part of the fire dept contingent at our Remembrance Day ceremony to lay a wreath honouring those who have served, past and present.

As a PMQ brat , born on an RCAF base in Europe, and surrounded for years with serious cold war protocols, November 11 is a day we spend with family. We always knew that every time the phone rang it could be a scramble alert. So aside from the act of remembrance we celebrate the family and families of those who served. My father retired from the air force in the late 70’s and I am thankful he made it home every day. Many did not.

God bless the families that stay behind.

I gave our dinkhead mayor s*it for not having a town wreath at the cenotaph. And I did that in front of those who were there to honour the citizens of our town who gave their lives that we may live in peace.
My grandfather was gassed in WWl and is buried at the Mont Royal cemetery in Montreal; my father served in WWll. Our family name is on the monument. I will not forget.
S*ithead mayor didn't miss an opportunity to get his picture taken in front of the monument with the school kids that were present. A$$hole

I’ve stated before I retired this year from the RCAF. 29 years of service, 20 of those flying helicopter SAR.

For myself, it took it’s toll. You can only see so many things that are heartbreaking, horrifying, disgusting or face the certainty that you are going to die so many times before you...”snap”.

A few years ago, I was diagnosed PTSD (along with numberous serious physical injuries). Seems I had just seen and done too much and it finally broke my brain to the point where I just couldn’t bring myself to get back into the airplane. This ended my career.

Not a sob story about me though, I did my duty, saved lives and made a difference. I was one of the best they had, and had been told that many times. I reached the rank of Master Warrant Officer. Only one rank down from as high as you can go for an NCO. Many of my senior commanders were dissapointed when I “broke” as they wanted me to reach Chief Warrant Officer and move into command in a senior postion. Oh well: “candy and nuts”...etc. Sure; I’m F-d up, but at least it was done in a job where I made a difference.

Although I had “cheated the reaper” my whole career, my freinds were not all so lucky. I’ve personally folded 9 Canadian flags during my career and attended 21 funerals for fallen SAR heros. That’s almost one per year for my time in SAR. It’s not a game for fools or the foolish. It’s deadly serious, for dedicated and commited professionals only. Even then, sometimes even being “the best” isn’t good enough to get you out of a scrape...

As a result of my “condtion”, one of the things I have trouble with is crowds. Too much noise, too much movement, too much chaos. I just can’t attend a “standard” ceremony without it making me go batchit crazy.

So I do a more personal thing. 14 wing has a “memorial park”. Basically, it’s part of the base museum where stones are erected to remember and honor those from 14 wing that have fallen. It’s always deserted on remembrance day as the base sends contingents to the legions across the region. Consequently, the base is a “ghost town”. So I go there and stand in front of the marker for my fallen brothers. I then removed my poppies and place them at the stones for Tusker 27 and Tusker 914.

Tusker 27 was a Labrador helicopter that exploded in mid air above Gaspe and took 6 of my comrades with it.

Tusker 914 was a Cormorant helicopter that was CFIT off Canso, NS. There were 7 on board 914, 3 were drowned in the crash. This one has special meaning for me and is part of my mental issues. You see, I was supposed to be one that flight that night. I had bought a house and our closing/moving day was the day of the crash. Rather than work all day and fly all night, my brother took my flight for me. Becuase he took my flight, my student had to come off and he took a different student with him. The student he took with him was a young man he and I had trained to fly, I had given him his wings that put him in the airplane that night and bought the house which changed the scheduke and put him in the airplane. My brother’s name was Duane Brazil, and he was my freind from long ago having gone through basic all the way up to our SAR course together. The student was Trevor McDavid, father of 2 and wife pregs with a third. They were both Flight Engineers and the third was Kirk Noel. A SAR Tech. That they died and I lived is something I will carry with me forever. Something as random as buying a house meant that I would live and they would die. “Survivor guilt” is one hell of a heavy monkey to carry around on your back the rest of your life...

So I make sure that I stand in front of their stone every Nov 11 at 11am. It’s the least I can do for the men who took my bullet for me.

View attachment 33411

View attachment 33412

View attachment 33413

View attachment 33414
My wife and I usually attend the ceremony here in Ambleside; however, this year, due to circumstances beyond our control, were unable to attend. I took a moment to reflect as my dad served in WWII and was sniped twice and survived only to be haunted by P.T.S.D. - I don't think they called it that way back when; but, suffice it to say that it slowly killed him. Thanks for your service Tourmax - be well.

My wife and I usually attend the ceremony here in Ambleside; however, this year, due to circumstances beyond our control, were unable to attend. I took a moment to reflect as my dad served in WWII and was sniped twice and survived only to be haunted by P.T.S.D. - I don't think they called it that way back when; but, suffice it to say that it slowly killed him. Thanks for your service Tourmax - be well.
"battle fatigue" or "shell shocked" were the terms they used to use. Sadly, they also used to label those men..."cowards". Nothing further from the truth.....

"battle fatigue" or "shell shocked" were the terms they used to use. Sadly, they also used to label those men..."cowards". Nothing further from the truth.....
Yes, well my dad was shot through the neck and his arm from long range while crossing a field in Europe by a sniper. The whole thing really had a profound effect on him after he came home - got married - wife died young of Ca and left him with 3 small children - myself and two younger sons - unable to cope -so, put us in an orphanage where we were reared - probably a good thing. Obviously, being so young, I did not understand things the way I did when I got older. So much pain and anguish for many veterans returning home after WWII.

• Sad
Reactions: Black 03 Z06
Yes, well my dad was shot through the neck and his arm from long range while crossing a field in Europe by a sniper. The whole thing really had a profound effect on him after he came home - got married - wife died young of Ca and left him with 3 small children - myself and two younger sons - unable to cope -so, put us in an orphanage where we were reared - probably a good thing. Obviously, being so young, I did not understand things the way I did when I got older. So much pain and anguish for many veterans returning home after WWII.
Yes, and your tale tells of another casualty: the families.

Everyone suffers when someone gets PTSD. The ones who suffer in silence is always the families...

View attachment 33411

View attachment 33412

View attachment 33413

View attachment 33414
I attended the ceremonies at the Brighton cenotaph, wearing my solitary medal for serving with NATO in Germany from 1961 to 1964, Then, as now, Russia was worrying the rest of the world. My prayers are now with the Ukraine population.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.