Nov 14, 2011
Jarvis Ontario
VetteCoins
Car
1988 Convertable
Robert Graham -1923-2005

I can’t imagine what it must have been like to give up your childhood and go overseas to fight a war. My Dad was one of the lucky one that did in fact make it home. At this time every year, we take two minute out of our busy life to remember both our past and present men of arms. I don’t think this is too much to ask. Wear your Poppies proud.:canada:
Remembering my Dad today, and every dad; not a hero to most, but to me he always will be.

In the picture:
• My Dad at 18 years of age, ready to go fight.
• In the Shadow Box top metal is Canadian Armour Corp Badge
• Under it Ontario Regiment Badge
• Medals left to right 1935-1945 Star, France Germany Star, British Defence medal, Canadian Volunteer medal, Victory medal 1939-1945
And his teddy bear. This little bear was with him though the whole ordeal. Sat with him as he drove transports, tanks or whatever was necessary.

pjoh.jpg

Brilliant post Brian, I am very proud of that generation. You must be very proud.

My dad served and while fighting in France lost his leg, above the knee . It never slowed him down at all. In fact he always was a better swimmer than me.

He passed in 1993, even after all these years I still miss him.

Wear the poppy.

very thoughtful post brian. like you, i often think of my dad especially at this time of year as he passed away several days before remembrance day 21 years ago. dad was a field radio operator at the front with the royal canadian artillery. the legion boys made a nice showing at his funeral and we were proud. the depression had been a hard go in a place like buckhorn and when my dad and his brother went overseas they sent their pay to their elderly parents.

GERALD EDWARD FULTON

JAN. 6 1916 - NOV. 6 1992

thanks dad, i miss you.

doug.

I send this out to people on my mailing list every year in the weeks before November 11. Terry Kelly - A Pittance of Time (Official Version) - YouTube
Our son, and son-in-law have served in Bosnia, Kosovo, Kabul and finally Kandahar. If there is hell on earth, it is Kandahar. The old soldiers saw hell on earth too. They need our support and to be remembered on November 11. All year for that matter.

Thanks to your father Brian for serving the country and the people of Canada. Thank you to service people everywhere who give it their all for keeping us free. They made amazing scarifies. Hopefully another generation will never have to go through what our veterans did.

Indeed wear your poppy proudly, the veterans should never be forgotten.

Wayne, nor my Dad or myself would object to your post. In fact I am pretty sure my Dad always had a special spot in his heart for your Dad.

I know after my Dad was gone, I ended up with the Radial Arm Saw my Dad bought of yours. I no longer have it now, but still kind of funny how things go. And to think I never even knew you until we connected here at CCF.

"A tip of the Hat" to both of these guys, and to anyone that served.

one thing that struck me about the vets of that generation was their modest attitude about what they had been through. even though my dad had seen heavy action in sicily, cassino, and through italy and holland, i always remember him saying "that was a picnic compared to what the lads went through in the first war". we must also pause to think of the anguish that families go through in the loss of a loved one in the service of their country. we lost a local boy,CORPORAL NICK BULGER, in afghanistan and the entire community was heart broken.

It is the VETERAN , not the preacher,

who has given us freedom of religion.

It is the VETERAN , not the reporter,

who has given us freedom of the press.

It is the VETERAN , not the poet,

who has given us freedom of speech.

It is the VETERAN , not the campus organizer,

who has given us freedom to assemble.

It is the VETERAN , not the lawyer,

who has given us the right to a fair trial.

It is the VETERAN , not the politician,

Who has given us the right to vote.

It is the VETERAN ,

who salutes the Flag,

It is the VETERAN ,

who serves under the Flag,

ETERNAL REST GRANT UNTO THEM, O LORD, AND LET PERPETUAL LIGHT SHINE UPON THEM.

back in the day, when i worked alongside many vets, i always thought it was a travesty that bank employees and others had the day off. here were the very fellows being honoured, slaving away in the shop, unable to cash their paycheques while some bank employee was enjoying a day off. not the fault of the bank employee of course but a policy that i always considered a slap in the face to the very people who had given so much. :nono:

Behind the legion in Omemee is a monument honouring soldiers Mark McLaren and Michael Freeman who were killed in Kandahar in December 2008. Both went to school here when they were younger. Local contractors did the work free of charge and the local horticultural society keeps the area in fine shape with two benches and flower beds full of colourful flowers all summer long. It's the least we can do. We were at the cenotaph in Warsaw yesterday and even though it was pouring rain, the crowd was as big as any other year. There really are people out there who care.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread