Nov 3, 2012
buckhorn ontario
VetteCoins
Car
new technology-old noggin. i am trying to educate myself on the workings of the gen. 3 engines as i may one day use a carbureted ls motor. ok here's what i think i know. the m.s.d. ls ignition box picks up a signal from the reluctor wheel at the crank through a sensor. that info is then sent to the coil packs and any adjustments to the timing would be done via programming in the ignition box. am i close or way off ? if i'm understanding it correctlly it seems to be similar in principle to the mag plate, trigger sytems on outboards and sleds.

thanks manny, i'm gradually getting a grasp on the new stuff. i had to give up racing back around 76-77 so that's pretty well where my head stayed. i soon will be in a position though to put another car together and the used 6.0 motors are lookin' pretty good to build up !!! thanks again, doug. :seeya: p.s. it's my guess that the timing box is the better route instead of trying to fool around with a front distributor set up ?

Last edited:
thanks manny, i'm gradually getting a grasp on the new stuff. i had to give up racing back around 76-77 so that's pretty well where my head stayed. i soon will be in a position though to put another car together and the used 6.0 motors are lookin' pretty good to build up !!! thanks again, doug. :seeya: p.s. it's my guess that the timing box is the better route instead of trying to fool around with a front distributor set up ?

You got that right :D

Users who are viewing this thread