Featured Thread
R

RockyPM

Hi everyone, most probably do not know that I am diabetic since I was 10 years old. Those who have diabetes will understand the trials and tribulations that the disease brings and the emotions of having a disease that no one sees.
In 2010 received 2 Islet transplants at the University of Alberta Hospital. In 2012 I received one more and was insulin free. Free of the disease and the consequences! This is not a cure but a management technique. It was pioneered in Edmonton and that’s why it’s known as the Edmonton Protocol and is used and researched around the world. Doctors anywhere work in conjunction with Dr. Shapiro, the main face and pioneer.

2 years ago severe stress took its toll on the transplanted cells and I had to go back on insulin. Not as much as before the transplants but insulin and with it the meal timing, blood sugar lows and concerns. This last September once the doctors saw that things had stabilized, asked it I would like to receive another transplant. I said yes. I was listed on the list December 19 at 11:30 am and received the call on December 21 at 10:15 am! The transplant happened on December 22nd and I was released form the U of A on Christmas Eve. A blessing. Joanne and I give thanks every day for the families and people who signed their donor cards because someone must pass In Order for this gift to take place.

This past Thursday I was told to stop taking insulin and the transplanted Islet cells along the remaining ones from the previous transplant are moderating my blood sugar beautifully! As I said it’s not a cure but the next best thing.

Now it 2 months of recovery because they had to kill off my immune system and that kicks the heck out of me. Lots of naps so things don’t happen fast. Also can’t lift anything heavier than 10 lbs. Joanne has to do all the “heavy lifting”! She will be happy when I’m back to “normal”.

Been laying low and now you know why. To those who have had family members or friends pass who have donated organs please know that we, the recipients are truly grateful. A small part of these thoughtful people live on in each of us.

100% agree. Organ donors are the best of who we can be as a society. An complete and selfless gift.
You my friend are truly a worthy recipient.

Thank you for sharing this very personal story. You have a ton of real friends here who enjoy you on the forum and many who enjoy your company on cruises. Me being one of them.

I’m really happy the protocol worked for you.

All the best for a speedy recovery Paul.

I can think of paragraphs to write in response to how thrilled I am for you as I truly am. What a great thing for this to happen for everyone around you too Paul. Noticing as well you are taking on a few “operations” with your Corvettte as you go forward in recovery and for an active Spring & Summer.

I really love reading the “Good News Newspaper” and this article of yours is a Headliner in my books 😁👍🏻

Know a few people living with this condition of diabetes, both type 1 and type 2 plus encounter it on some of our medical calls. It is a more terrible disease than most realize. It is an awesome bit of good news that this procedure is doing its wonders. For anyone who is an organ donor, thank-you for such selfless thoughts.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread