Casual User
Oct 12, 2017
Montreal
VetteCoins
Car
1979 Corvette
Province
QC
I just changed the battered and probably original 9 leafs steel spring for the same, and slightly regret it. I was scared that a composite monoleaf would be too stiff. I find the new 9 leafs a bit soft, and the installation was painfull. Handling the 20 lbs mono leaf would have been much easier than the 80 lbs steel one.

What shocks & front springs are you using? I switched to a 360 (365?) glass spring about 15 yrs ago. Have 550 lb front springs, Bilsteins and a spreader bar. For @ $100 Cdn adding a spreader bar was one of the biggest positive changes for handling that I did. It keeps the shock towers from flexing due to metal fatigue. I added each component test drove, added the next etc. so that I could better judge the effect of adding each. I also added a Sharkbar which significantly stiffened the car.

This is the article that made me chose the steel spring. The rest of the suspension is per original. I will replace the rear shock next, before moving the front. I though that the step from The original 200 lbs to 350 lbs monoleaf would be too high, but maybe the difference isn’t as big as the numbers suggest. Well, we learn by experience ....

Reactions: 72ray
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread