Nov 28, 2016
VetteCoins
Happy New Year Everyone . Greetings from balmy Sylvan Lake. A toasty -45 with the wind chill today.
My 81 , 350 auto is leaking from the rear main seal. Can anyone tell me how difficult is it to replace? Any special tools needed. How long should it take a an average tinkerer. Cars parked for at least another couple months so I'm not in any real rush..
Any info would be appreciated.
Thanks Rick

Hi Rick..
Welcome to the Corvette Forum.
Some rear seals can be changed without removing the motor or the transmission.
Drop the starter and oil pan and remove the rear mains bearing cap.
If you are skilled you can push out the top half of the old rear seal with a tool and push in the new seal.
A trained shop could probably handle this.
Usually either the motor or trans needs to be pulled to do this repair.

Good luck.
Send us some more pictures too!

Graham

yeah it is not a easy job. Dropping the crank aliitle by loosening all the main caps will aid in getting the top 1/2 done. But if you don't mind trying a additive first then it may stop the leak and save the job. C-Tire sells rear main bearing sealer and I've used it succesfully on a rear rope type seal but never tried it on the lip type that the 81 has.

Reactions: Rruuff Day
I run the same 17" American Racing Hopster wheels on my '75 coupe.
You should start an intro thread. I want to see more pictures of your ride.

IMG_00001530.jpg

Last edited:
Damn that 75 looks familiar Graham... ;)

DSCN7491r2.jpg

I second that thought Rick.... Post up some pictures for us... I'm gonna watch for you around Sylvan and at the Thursday nights show and shine in Red Deer this summer too... If you're around Red Deer and want to do a coffee sometime, PM me and lemme know.

Eric

Reactions: nascar03
Very nice guys. I'll dig out some pictures and try and post a few a little later tonight. I do intend to get out to a few of local show and shines this summer. Sounds like a plan Eric. I'll drop you a line sometime so we can hook up for coffee.
Rick

Reactions: Dub
Eric...
That DSOM/bronze Car looks good in my driveway!
I hope that happens again someday.

Graham
Graham. Having the opportunity to meet you, see (and hear) both those pristine Corvettes of yours, and just getting to park beside them for those pictures was my pleasure. The tour and your collections in the house put the visit over the top my friend. That, and hopefully seeing you here in Alberta will definitely happen again. :Cheers2:

yeah it is not a easy job. Dropping the crank aliitle by loosening all the main caps will aid in getting the top 1/2 done. But if you don't mind trying a additive first then it may stop the leak and save the job. C-Tire sells rear main bearing sealer and I've used it succesfully on a rear rope type seal but never tried it on the lip type that the 81 has.

I used the CTC sealer in the engine oil of my '76 at least twenty years ago as the seal was leaking onto the clutch.
Still going and the shutter when releasing the clutch is almost gone.

Hi Ron, I actually picked up a pint of the stuff today. Cars parked until the snow melts so I'm not sure if it'll do any good if I throw it in now. Can hurt to try I guess.
Thanks
Rick

No don't throw it in untill you are going to drive the car. It needs to be running for a long time to works its way to the leak and be activated. Follow the instructions on the bottle.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.