Coyote

I'm New Here
Jan 7, 2020
VetteCoins
Car
2017 Stingray
Province
AB
I recently had a rear collision on my 2017 C7. They have to replace both the upper and lower clip of the car.
I just also found out that the rear Tub is cracked in several locations. I have attached photos. I have been
told that because of the material it can not be fixed. My question is has anyone know of a rear tub being
replaced on a C7 and what feedback on the fix was received. I have looked at photos of a Tub and what
effort it takes to replace it. Looking at the photos and talking to someone who is familiar with corvettes
that fixing it may be an option and cause less problems. Looking for feedback. Thanks

Attachments

• 20200720_093309_resized.jpg
    20200720_093309_resized.jpg
    164.7 KB · Views: 303
  • 20200720_093323_resized.jpg
    20200720_093323_resized.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 228
  • 20200720_093327_resized.jpg
    20200720_093327_resized.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 214
  • 20200720_093329_resized.jpg
    20200720_093329_resized.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 213
  • 20200720_093332_resized.jpg
    20200720_093332_resized.jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 215
Is the body shop you have it at a GM dealership? They should be able to determine whether it can be fixed or needs to be written off. Pictures look like tub is fiberglass so a lot of effort might be required but not sure of the structural integrity after a repair. Good luck with whatever happens going forward.

I recently had a rear collision on my 2017 C7. They have to replace both the upper and lower clip of the car.
I just also found out that the rear Tub is cracked in several locations. I have attached photos. I have been
told that because of the material it can not be fixed. My question is has anyone know of a rear tub being
replaced on a C7 and what feedback on the fix was received. I have looked at photos of a Tub and what
effort it takes to replace it. Looking at the photos and talking to someone who is familiar with corvettes
that fixing it may be an option and cause less problems. Looking for feedback. Thanks

The rear sub-frame (tub) of the C7 is certainly replaceable. It's attached to the main chassis by a number of mechanical fasteners and high strength adhesive. Heat is used to separate the 2 components and then the new sub-frame is attached using the same adhesive. If the shop has experience with the bonding process, suitable frame aligning equipment and specific knowledge of C7 frame and body repair then it should be a fairly straight forward job. For many body shops those are big IFS as most do not have the experience with this car. Finding the right repair facility will be the key. If you can find a qualified shop that can do the repair properly then the last hurdle is to have a proper 4 wheel alignment done which will absolutely involve checking / setting the rear caster. It's imperative that whoever is doing the alignment has the rear caster adaptor and an angle gauge, required for checking the caster angle, in addition to good alignment equipment and the knowledge of how to use it on a C7.

Best of luck
Ross

Last edited:
Hey ddgermann, I responded to Coyotes PM..... I feel for him, but since my tub was replaced there have been no squeeks rattles or any concerns at all. The downtime though was very frustrating. Had it done At Prestons Chev. They have a big body shop and have many a corvette in there..... and a lifetime warranty on the repair!

Attachments

• Image 446.jpg
    Image 446.jpg
    731.5 KB · Views: 172
  • Image 522.jpg
    Image 522.jpg
    342.4 KB · Views: 182
  • Image 387.jpg
    Image 387.jpg
    391.1 KB · Views: 188
  • 20200425_155213[2305843009214465681].jpg
    20200425_155213[2305843009214465681].jpg
    532.6 KB · Views: 192
Last edited:
Hey ddgermann, I responded to Coyotes PM..... I feel for him, but since my tub was replaced there have been no squeeks rattles or any concerns at all. The downtime though was very frustrating. Had it done At Prestons Chev. They have a big body shop and have many a corvette in there..... and a lifetime warranty on the repair!

Thanks so much Paul. You went through a hell of a time and I figured being the good chap you are you would not mind sharing some details and first-hand information with Mr. Coyote.

This follow up is also good to know... no noises or other problems. Seems these cars are made to very tight tolerances and if repaired with that in mind, should come out very well.

• Agree
Reactions: Paul C7 to C8
Good morning, I'm replacing tub on my 2017 Z06 aswell and wanted to ask you if you have more pictures while it was taken apart? Thanks!!

Good morning, I'm replacing tub on my 2017 Z06 aswell and wanted to ask you if you have more pictures while it was taken apart? Thanks!!

Hey 17z06.... sorry to hear that your car is also in need of a tub..... I'm just heading out now and won't be back for aprx 5-6 hours. I do believe I have a few more pics I can send your way. While it was frustrating to go through, and also the consequence of having to declare the hit when its time to sell, I can say that the car does not handle or drive any different than before.

Hey 17z06.... sorry to hear that your car is also in need of a tub..... I'm just heading out now and won't be back for aprx 5-6 hours. I do believe I have a few more pics I can send your way. While it was frustrating to go through, and also the consequence of having to declare the hit when its time to sell, I can say that the car does not handle or drive any different than before.
Thank you!!

Here's what it looks like as its waiting for the new tub to arrive. Certainly not a pretty thing to see close up!! However, in the end one would never know. I had a professional appraisal report as to the value of my car prior to the hit as well as a depreciation report as to value after repairs. After settling with the insurance company, based on what I was able to settle with them, I will definitely be OK selling for a reduced price. I do believe that getting professional reports as to the quality of work etc will help with the sale. I cannot feel any difference with how the car drives. This is the only pic I could find at the moment have that shows the rear tub area. 2017 z06, RU in the lower mainland area of BC?

Attachments

• vet.jpg
    vet.jpg
    220.2 KB · Views: 90
Reactions: gone
Here's what it looks like as its waiting for the new tub to arrive. Certainly not a pretty thing to see close up!! However, in the end one would never know. I had a professional appraisal report as to the value of my car prior to the hit as well as a depreciation report as to value after repairs. After settling with the insurance company, based on what I was able to settle with them, I will definitely be OK selling for a reduced price. I do believe that getting professional reports as to the quality of work etc will help with the sale. I cannot feel any difference with how the car drives. This is the only pic I could find at the moment have that shows the rear tub area. 2017 z06, RU in the lower mainland area of

Here's what it looks like as its waiting for the new tub to arrive. Certainly not a pretty thing to see close up!! However, in the end one would never know. I had a professional appraisal report as to the value of my car prior to the hit as well as a depreciation report as to value after repairs. After settling with the insurance company, based on what I was able to settle with them, I will definitely be OK selling for a reduced price. I do believe that getting professional reports as to the quality of work etc will help with the sale. I cannot feel any difference with how the car drives. This is the only pic I could find at the moment have that shows the rear tub area. 2017 z06, RU in the lower mainland area of BC?
Yes, I'm from Newton and thanks for the picture!!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.