YFCvii

Power User
Beta
Oct 10, 2016
VetteCoins
Test to Evict Radon in Your Alberta Home Link

For a few years now, I have been specifying rough-in radon venting on the drawings
of all my New Residential Projects - it's Code. For those in Alberta who would like to
give themselves a "gift" this year and test for the presence of this very harmful known
carcinogen in your own home, I have provided a link to a resource (click on it above)
for where you can obtain a testing kit for your Alberta home.
Feel free to pass this information along to anyone you want within the Province of Alberta.
It will take about 4 months from ordering thru the testing process and then have results in your hands.
However right NOW (October thru January) is the Months to START your 3 month testing period.
If for a senior Parent, maybe set up and do this test for them. Total cost is $63 with gst.

I don't normally raise issue to stuff like this in my Industry but I am concerned that should radon be found
consistent in certain areas of the Province, everything from Resale to Insurance and Mortgage
Renewals may become open to discretion. I know many examples of where this happens.
In this case, however, most important is the wellness of everyone in your home. If you are finding
this message outside of the recommended testing months, contact the resource above and/or
mark your calendar for the next/upcoming October-January start months.

Last edited:
Reactions: ddgermann
Yes, rough-in radon remediation piping is common now in Alberta. This is rough-in only.
The Alberta Building Code has been mirroring the National Building Code and the latest being 2014.

I believe the link that I posted is part of a University Study Program with results that will be collected and reported. So I do not have an opinion outside of the gathering of results that will hopefully become pubic information. This will then drive further changes to Building Codes if/as needed.

To invest in a tester that continually monitors radon may be like the current smoke & c/o detectors
where you install one and most often rarely look but may need to replace them. So I chose myself
to run this $63 test, be a part of a study, and then go from there.
Hopeful for insignificant if any presence.

As I am front line for the provision of radon remediation in new residential construction,
I will be able to add anything that I come across to this thread.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread