Casual User
Oct 12, 2017
Montreal
VetteCoins
Car
1979 Corvette
Province
QC
I have been chasing a heating problem at high power. On the highway, the engine temp goes in the red and come back down when I reduce power. A new pump was installed last year. I changed the thermostat, the radiator cap and the thermostatic fan clutch. No success so far. I noticed that there is no neoprene seal between the fan shroud and the readiator. there is none either between the radiation support and the radiator. There is an open gap of 2 inches between the top of the radiator and the support, and another gap between the radiator support and the hood. I know the engine need to breath but that’s a lot of air that can bypass the Radiator. I operated the car like this for 4 years. I don’t think the missing seals are related to my recent heating problem, but I wonder if puting the seals would keep the engine cooler. Any opinion ?

Without those missing seals all the outside air is not forced through the radiator. At high speeds the fan is not actually doing much to pull air through. I once saw a video posted years ago that showed the effects of those seals while driving in a town vs the highway. He had a small GoPro and ribbons placed under the hood. At lower speeds the fan pulled most of the air through the rad. At high speeds the ribbons showed just how much air went above the rad and how little moved through the rad. I would buy the seals and put them on - not a lot of $ and will show quickly if this is your issue.

Also make sure the air dam is in good condition (or even there at all). I had heating problems when I first bought my car. Didn't even have a shroud to the fan let alone seals! I put an a 16" electric fan which worked but I also found out the air dam was missing. Once I put the air dam on the fan didn't run at all above 70km/h

T

My 73 C3 was missing the air dam between the hood and the rad support. The one I got seem 4 inches too long. Any help would be much appreciated

My 73 C3 was missing the air dam between the hood and the rad support. The one I got seem 4 inches too long. Any help would be much appreciated
Maybe if you add pictures of your installation, you will get more comments. My overheating issue was due to a dirty radiator. For more cooling efficiency, I installed the foam seal between the radiator support and the hood. Engine temperature is now normaland stable.