Feb 14, 2020
VetteCoins
Car
C8 z51
Province
NS
I was on a nice coastal drive and a pack of deer popped out in front of me and I hit one of them. The damage is surprisingly limited given the fact that I killed a giant deer. My radiator on the passenger side was damaged and it started to bleed out. I wasn't far from home so I drove home and the engine oil temp started to get pretty high just as I got home. The z51 has impressive cooling, the fans were working their magic, it was cold outside too. My question is that we have had a storm now and I doubt I am going to get another nice day for a while. Is there any problem with leaving the thing sit until the spring with no coolant? I know very little about car mechanics and just want to double check. I won't be running it and will flat bed it in for repairs. If I top up it will just bleed out again. I would guess once it's fixed they will flush the system?

• Sorry
Reactions: nascar03
Sorry to hear of your misfortune. Thankfully minimal damage and you are here to talk about it. No worries about having it sit with no antifreeze till spring. No further damage will occur. Best of luck on the repairs.

I would have been driving back to the point of impact with my truck. Nothing like a venison tenderloin steak, cooked over charcoal.

If you have a coolant leak, it likely won't take long for your car to overheat. Air circulation and the cooler ambient temps will help, but if you already saw your temps rise, overheating is inevitable.

I would just have it towed in, unless the dealer is around the block from your place.

It's no problem to let it sit, but god only knows what parts are on back order. And depending on all the damage, you might want to put in an insurance claim...so just don't wait too long before actioning.

Reactions: Murray20c8
First, sorry for your loss.

Second, the strategy outlined in this post makes no sense to me. But maybe that is just me.
Why would you want to leave a busted-up C8 in your garage?
And not have it fixed now so that it is ready to drive again when the weather gets better?
Do you not have insurance? Is there more to the story?

And since the consensus on forums is that some parts are taking weeks to months to get, the bodyshop should be ordering them now if you want to drive the car again in a month or two. Whether you fix the car now or later, parts should be secured.

Am I missing something?

Collision with an animal is covered under your comprehensive insurance so you should not see an increase in your rates. Insurance company should be notified immediately and I agree that you should start the repair process now rather than waiting. Good luck with getting it fixed.

Insurance companies most likely need a police report to pay out. I hit a dear once, called the cops to report it (for insurance purposes) and had to show up at site for them to verify it was an actual dear I hit. It had long gone but fur in parts of the car confirmed it and no problems with insurance.

• Informative
Reactions: Murray20c8
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.