Norm07

Casual User
Feb 11, 2018
Beamsville
VetteCoins
Car
2000 C5 Coupe
I hope Rob F you have a look at my thread and see where I am on my project and realize how far you have come. Keep plugging away!

I mentioned in the New Members forum about my rad support I did a quick glass blast on.....well after the thick undercoat, paint and dirt was removed this is what I find....I knew it was not great but.....ugh...

IMG_4263.JPG

It just got worse

IMG_3984.JPG

So.... try and find a used one? I had to find the correct one, 350, Auto no air, without rust...tough. Buy a reproduction? $$$. So I thought I would try a repair, or more correctly a rebuild, the lower third to be exact.
I started out buying some 16 gauge steel and a bit of 1/2 flat bar. With the measurements I felt I could build it up, maintain the numerous curves and profiles without having to get any fancy bending done.

Just had to keep cutting to get rid of the rot, especially the inside. Looked good from the outside but was really thin. About 1/3 up the rust on the inside stopped.

IMG_4276.JPG

I use drilled holes as a way of fastening the pieces together...similar to a spot Weld.

IMG_4269.JPG
IMG_4270.JPG
IMG_4271.JPG
IMG_4274.JPG
IMG_4276.JPG

Angle iron (old bed frame) was used to maintain the original dimension and keep things straight. I found that too much heat and things twisted and warped like crazy.

IMG_4287.JPG

This is the one side finished....

IMG_4283.JPG

Finished....a tad heavier with the solid bar in there, as well as a 1/2 a spool so .25 mig wire but....nice and strong.....and measures within a 1/16th of the old one. I am sure the three coats of paint and road grime I have scraped off the car will make up for the extra couple pounds.
IMG_4293.JPG
IMG_4294.JPG

I have since done a skim coat of filler, to smooth out the finish (I'm maybe 70% Welder and 30% grinder). Material cost...maybe $25, including welding supplies. All in all in was a great learning experience, welding, fabricating, and what I saved can be spent on the shiny parts!

Attachments

• IMG_3982.JPG
    IMG_3982.JPG
    646.7 KB · Views: 13
There are a number of members here that ooze ambition, dedication, mechanical, and re-construction/fabrication skills. As I am not one of them, it's posts like this that never fail to impress me. Good job Norm... Your bed frame/rad support job looks great.... :thumbs:

Wow awesome work. Looks great. I did similar things because I wanted to use my parts. I bought my car from a guy in Pittsburgh and found the build sheet in the frame when I sand blasted it. The car was from South of Atlanta. Kind of lucky because most of my stuff was like brand new after sand blasting. Main issue was my doors because it was stripped and sat outside and water was allowed to sit in the bottom of the doors.
I enjoyed seeing your work. I would love to see more.

Reactions: ddgermann
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.