Rruuff Day

Staff member
Power User
Beta
Aug 30, 2014
VetteCoins
Received my catch can in the mail from @RaceReadyGarageInc a few days ago and got off my butt and installed it yesterday. Easy install for any thinking of this mod. Toughest part was getting my fat fingers to squeeze the OEM PCV hose clip releases...lol... Black anodized finish, great solid quality and one of the things that attracted me to raceready (other than them being a forum sponsor), is the knurled screw-in dipstick on the top of the unit which saves having to take the bowl off to see how much oil has collected. Recommended product IMHO.

catchcan.jpg

Received my catch can in the mail from @RaceReadyGarageInc a few days ago and got off my butt and installed it yesterday. Easy install for any thinking of this mod. Toughest part was getting my fat fingers to squeeze the OEM PCV hose clip releases...lol... Black anodized finish, great solid quality and one of the things that attracted me to raceready (other than them being a forum sponsor), is the knurled screw-in dipstick on the top of the unit which saves having to take the bowl off to see how much oil has collected. Recommended product IMHO.

View attachment 38997

I didn't see anywhere on their website where you can order one of those. Can you pass along the details as to where to find it or do we have to contact them directly?

Reactions: Black 03 Z06
I knew they had them from a post a while ago, but yeah. Their website doesn't show much. I emailed Dave directly to discuss. Then phoned him at (226) 887-7103, gave him my Credit card info and he shipped it out to me. He will need to know model, year, engine, any mods to the engine and that's pretty much it. His email is [email protected]. Be sure to ask him for a couple Race Ready Garage stickers...lol...

Looks like a good install !!! I just installed a catch can on my Z06, not an easy task with the Z06 as the blower had to be lifted. I used an older, but high quality can I had used on other cars that I have since sold. I think the company has since gone out of business. I had to fabricate a bracket to make it work. I shot a video of the whole process. I have about 3.5 hours of footage and I'm going to try to cut it down to under 30min. I hope to have it out in a few weeks. Not selling anything, but a good vid on how to install any catch can you chose on a Z06. Best part is I did not have to cut any factory line!!!! So far I believe I am the 1st one to accomplish this on a Z06. I took my car out a few days ago. I was only +7 and I drove it for about 50kms. There was a very small amount of oil, but I was shocked at how much condensation the can caught. That water would have been in my oil....... My oil temps never got above boiling so no way to get rid of that water on a cold day.

The reason they didn't is they want to produce a low maintenance car. A catch can is another maintenance item. It is very interesting that shortly after the introduction of the direct injection V8 in the corvette GM reduced the warranty coverage.

The reason they didn't is they want to produce a low maintenance car. A catch can is another maintenance item. It is very interesting that shortly after the introduction of the direct injection V8 in the corvette GM reduced the warranty coverage.

It's (or at least mine is) a pretty low maintenance item unless you never open the hood to check washer fluid, oil, etc. Easy to reach down, unscrew the dipstick on the top of the can and check the level. The can will hold close to 12 ounces or so (estimate as I din't measure) before it gets very close to the outlet filter... Guess I'll see how much oil my LT1 produces but I'm thinking under street driving conditions I'd be surprised if it didn't go the summer before it needed to be emptied and emptying it is no big deal on the LT1 anyway.

Eric, I think you should check it this morning. Who knows where oil goes these days.:(
I was thinking of recycling the catch can oil Murray. I thought maybe of rerouting in back into the crankcase but now with oil worth nothing, 6 inches of hose is not worth buying. I'll use it to light garbage in my incinerator instead and do my part of replenishing the PCP and CO2 levels in the environment...... :angelic:

• Haha
Reactions: Black 03 Z06
It's (or at least mine is) a pretty low maintenance item unless you never open the hood to check washer fluid, oil, etc. Easy to reach down, unscrew the dipstick on the top of the can and check the level. The can will hold close to 12 ounces or so (estimate as I din't measure) before it gets very close to the outlet filter... Guess I'll see how much oil my LT1 produces but I'm thinking under street driving conditions I'd be surprised if it didn't go the summer before it needed to be emptied and emptying it is no big deal on the LT1 anyway.

I know they are low maintenance for us folks, what I was referring to was that if GM can eliminate ANY item that requires maintenance they will do so. Your job looks good buddy and glad you put one one. If you drive it in the cold, for example, whenever you get condensation coming out of the exhaust, I would check it weekly as it will trap condensation that builds quickly. In the warm summer months you don't have to worry as it only traps oil.

I was thinking of recycling the catch can oil Murray. I thought maybe of rerouting in back into the crankcase but now with oil worth nothing, 6 inches of hose is not worth buying. I'll use it to light garbage in my incinerator instead and do my part of replenishing the PCP and CO2 levels in the environment...... :angelic:

If you are thinkign of having it drain back into your crankcase, I believe you will need a one way valve so it will drain when your engine turns off (and there is no vacuum present) If you hook it up without some type of a check valve, the can is under vacuum so it will take the path of least resistance and either suck oil from the crankcase, or from your PCV. In essence it will be less effective and could cause damage to your engine. Wasn't sure if you were truly considering it so was just giving you a heads up :)

If you are thinkign of having it drain back into your crankcase, I believe you will need a one way valve so it will drain when your engine turns off (and there is no vacuum present) If you hook it up without some type of a check valve, the can is under vacuum so it will take the path of least resistance and either suck oil from the crankcase, or from your PCV. In essence it will be less effective and could cause damage to your engine. Wasn't sure if you were truly considering it so was just giving you a heads up :)

lol...Thanks for the heads up V8..... I was tempted to elaborate on the design, check valve and all... but since it was definitely a joke, I left my P.Eng stamp in the drawer.. :angelic: ...

I'm since considering two other designs....Running a set of drain hoses from the catchcan outlet back to lubricate my door hinges... or alternatively just a simple spaced triple hose outlet under the engine. When driving, the under car air tunnel turbulence effect would cause the oil to spray back resulting in a continuous undercoating benefit. And when parked, it would also induce discussion with bystanders that I'm leaking oil.... Headed in today to register patents on these last two ideas... If this takes off like I think it may, there could be an opportunity for a highly paid Technical Advisor position in the company. I expect that an IPO of Class A shares will be forthcoming as well..I will let everyone know..;)

lol...Thanks for the heads up V8..... I was tempted to elaborate on the design, check valve and all... but since it was definitely a joke, I left my P.Eng stamp in the drawer.. :angelic: ...

I'm since considering two other designs....Running a set of drain hoses from the catchcan outlet back to lubricate my door hinges... or alternatively just a simple spaced triple hose outlet under the engine. When driving, the under car air tunnel turbulence effect would cause the oil to spray back resulting in a continuous undercoating benefit. And when parked, it would also induce discussion with bystanders that I'm leaking oil.... Headed in today to register patents on these last two ideas... If this takes off like I think it may, there could be an opportunity for a highly paid Technical Advisor position in the company. I expect that an IPO of Class A shares will forthcoming as well..I will let everyone know..;)

Let me know when you go public as I'm all in LOL :motorcycle:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread