Quite honestly this does not mean much to me other than the comment that the C8 is great car!!! Not sure it will mean much to anyone unless they are a seasoned race car driver.

Good video and you're right. Likely doesn't mean much to the average Joe but it definitely means that anybody intending to track the car and set it up with track camber/caster should be prepared to go through tires in a hurry. I learned that lesson with my C6 and for that reason had my C7 reset as soon as I bought it. That was 1 degree of camber that would eat tires in 20k. 3 degrees on the C8 track setting is enormous..... Good for Michelin tire sales though.... lol...

Good video and you're right. Likely doesn't mean much to the average Joe but it definitely means that anybody intending to track the car and set it up with track camber/caster should be prepared to go through tires in a hurry. I learned that lesson with my C6 and for that reason had my C7 reset as soon as I bought it. That was 1 degree of camber that would eat tires in 20k. 3 degrees on the C8 track setting is enormous..... Good for Michelin tire sales though.... lol...
Good clarification for us Joes - LOL.:Cheers2:

interesting settings.

My street/track Mustang runs about 1-1.5 camber and about 5 caster on the street.

Autocross/Shubie I'll bump that up to around 3 camber and 6-7 caster. I can go to 8 caster, but that starts doing some strange handling things with the Mcpherson strut style suspension. I could switch to coil overs, but the same problem would still be there. It's about the geometry of NOT having an SLA front suspension.

But those autocross settings will roach a set of tires fairly quickly. For example: I can run 6-7 camber on the street with around 1-1.5 camber, but the inner edges of the tires will wear quickly.

The 2020 Vette isn't too far off those settings at .5 camber and 8 caster. But I can't imagine GM would let loose a known "tire eater" on the general public. There must be a little more magic going on in the chassis to save those hides out to a reasonable amount of treadwear.

I'm not too enthused about thier understeer comments. I hate understeer. I'd rather have oversteer. Oversteer I (personally) have no problems dealing with. Oversteer? I've had that before and man o man, understeer sucks and scares the bejesus out of me as I head for the outside of the corner and whatever solid objects that may be waiting at the road edge.....

The track settings?

Bye bye rubber. Best have a spare set of tires and alignment jigs back at the pits if you intend to drive it home.....

Last edited:
I don't know squat about Mustangs but this is what 19,000 km on a C7 with 1.2 degrees camber and 7.6 degrees caster (factory settings) will do to the front tires inside edge. Rubber for these babies costs way to much and anyone who hasn't checked alignment better have a good look at the tires unless they want a front tire blow out on the road. Even if you're lucky and don't ditch the car or hit another vehicle, a tire blow out on the highway will shred a fender really quick.

1575494107692.png

I was just going to post regarding Randy Pobst's remarks regarding the C-7 to C-8 comparison, but you beat me to the punch!

However, when I click on your link I receive an error message, so I'm posting an alternate link to the same article in case others are having the same difficulty.

I ordered/purchased a C-7 Z06 fully loaded (with the exception of the Z07 package) and I'm more than thrilled. I truly have no intentions of tracking this car, but I just had to have the Z06 model! I even read about criticism's of the Z06 being over powered prior to purchase, but that obviously didn't negatively influence me! (Ha ha)

I have to admit I fully respect Randy Pobst and I thoroughly enjoy the YouTube videos posted with him driving and comparing the various sports cars currently available. I was somewhat dismayed with his comments regarding the C-7's, (Z06 and ZR1) quirkiness relative to being over powered, and following hard acceleration at speed resulting in the backend without forewarning going squirrelly. He even stated the C-7 as one of only a select few cars that he won't track without the stabilitrac being on!

I recognize that the C-8 having a mid engine configuration that there is more weight placed on the rear tires during rapid acceleration and/or heavy throttle input, resulting in less tire spin, however I will be very interested to see if some of the criticism's of the aforementioned (C-7) Z06 and ZR1 don't become evident or materialize once the horsepower is cranked up on the C-8?

After all, the reduced horsepower in the C-7 Grandsport was given as the main reason as to why it was recommended over the Z06 and won car of the year. They noted the Grandsport rear end was always stable throughout all aspects, unlike the Z06! Again then, with that in mind I would suspect that when you bump up the horsepower of the new C-8 equivalent to the jump up from the C-7 Grandsport to the Z06, or even more as being predicted that we might end up seeing a C-8 with a squirrelly rear end as well!

Peter

Last edited:
That article was a good read for me - but I'm not you Average Joe Corvette Owner. I drive my car "spirited" on public roads most of the time, I track it, auto-cross it, and it's my daily driver.

I expect to roast tires on the track/auto-X before they wear down from driving on the street. I'm surprised I haven't burned off the rear tires in the 11k I've driven. I will be getting a portable alignment kit to be able to make adjustments trackside (yeah, I'm new, but I'm hardcore).

That article was a good read for me - but I'm not you Average Joe Corvette Owner. I drive my car "spirited" on public roads most of the time, I track it, auto-cross it, and it's my daily driver.

I expect to roast tires on the track/auto-X before they wear down from driving on the street. I'm surprised I haven't burned off the rear tires in the 11k I've driven. I will be getting a portable alignment kit to be able to make adjustments trackside (yeah, I'm new, but I'm hardcore).
Kit?

Hell, make your own. It can be as simple as a string and levels or as complex as lasers on a mount and targets. All depends on you ability to fabricate. Hell, I made my own laser alignment jig for building motorcycle frames/custom wheel swaps or just doing alignments. It’s easy peasy:

52C51993-B2A0-40CA-9EA5-AA52FDF69CE7.jpeg

9763FCEA-FB50-4E4B-8D28-C7E257E0A0CB.jpeg

243E1231-FB8C-4038-88D6-7DDCB7A01751.jpeg

35BB896E-44DF-438C-BEA6-8084156CEC14.jpeg

All you need is a way to measure what the wheels are doing. Thats the basics of it. My motorcycle jig would be easily adapted to a 4 wheel vehicle. Then it’s all down to your skill level and attention to detail.

The exception is caster. Thats hard to measure “handraulically” at the wheel. For my Fox, I use an inclinometer with a magnetic base on the strut body. It’s not as precise as a full rack, but I can’t drag a full rack alignment machine to the track. It works well enough, but that has a lot to do with the fact the fox uses a “modified” mcpherson strut style suspension (modified because the fox doesn’t wear the spring around the strut, but mounts it directly on the lower a arm/K-member) and the fact that it wears massive Bilsteins, where the body of the strut is at the same angle as the caster. Well, close enough....

Caster on a Vette that has the SLA front suspension is harder to do, as the camber line is actually an imaginary dimension. Imaginary not because it doesn’t exist, imaginary becuase there is no component in the suspension that sits at whatever you caster setting is at. Same as trying to measure trail on a motorcycle: imaginary line....

My C4 isn’t a track car. Street only, so street alignement is just fine. It also keeps the rubber on the tire and not the road behind me. Thats why I have the Mustang. Besides, with the vette being a convertible, you can’t track it (with most organizations) unless you have rollover protection. No thanks, not ruining my ‘vert with some big, fabricated roll bar...

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread