Featured Thread
Jun 27, 2017
Portage la Prairie, MB
VetteCoins
Car
2003 Coupe
Province
MB
Back when I thought I was bullet proof I rode the early snowmobiles like Evel Knievel would. So I have been dealing with lumbar disc issues for 35 years. Getting all 6 and half feet of me in and out of my C5 is getting harder every year because of it. This year I was at a crossroads. Think of something quick or sell it. Pain is a great motivator. I felt that the steering wheel was an obstacle. So time to Google. I found that they make a quick release steering wheel system for street vehicles. You don't have to drive for NASCAR to be able to remove the steering wheel to get in and out. It wasn't as simple as it looked but it all worked out. Ingress and Egress is a little better and I can drive my Vette for another year for sure. I like that with the lock on the post, it makes the car even more theft proof. Something I worry about in every hotel parking lot. I should get some funny looks carrying my steering wheel up to my room. And yes I don't have any airbag protection anymore, but I don't worry about stuff like that.
t.

What a genius idea that Corvette should be a leader on.
Out of a need of yours for easier access, comes something that could
be awesome as a theft deterrent. Perhaps engineered with the compliment
of "convenience buttons" that we have on today's steering wheels and with
a quick connect method that can't be disengaged while the vehicle is in gear.
It will need electronic gizmo wizardry making the steering wheel unique to a
vehicle for allowing operation and yes, perhaps a little inconvenient as a
replacement for the key-fob … oh it'll need all the key fob buttons on the
steering wheel and it's own separate owner's manual :joyful:
… YYSSW …

Reactions: Bixter44
What a genius idea that Corvette should be a leader on.
Out of a need of yours for easier access, comes something that could
be awesome as a theft deterrent. Perhaps engineered with the compliment
of "convenience buttons" that we have on today's steering wheels and with
a quick connect method that can't be disengaged while the vehicle is in gear.
It will need electronic gizmo wizardry making the steering wheel unique to a
vehicle for allowing operation and yes, perhaps a little inconvenient as a
replacement for the key-fob … oh it'll need all the key fob buttons on the
steering wheel and it's own separate owner's manual :joyful:
… YYSSW …
It was fortunate that my car is a C5. Only a horn to connect and an airbag to disconnect. When my wife travels with me, I still have an......................... oh never mind. Lots of convenience buttons to connect would be a no go. Chevrolet will have to step up to make a product for that. And the owners manual. That was funny. To save anyone having to Google the airbag part, if they were inclined to do this, a 2 ohm resistor connected across the 2 airbag wires, and the car doesn't know the airbag is missing on a C5.

Reactions: YFCvii
I do realize the safety advocates would challenge and this would have to remedy the air bag requirement :Banghead:
… but hey ...
I think it's an awesome idea … like the arm for the space shuttle, maybe something/someone
"Canadian" can make this a reality for those American made Chevrolets … Shark Tank and
Dragons Den time.
I might have access to chat with one of them as an alumni of my kid's school as I do like
a couple of the beers they make :joyful:

Last edited:
well I think the wheel looks better than the original , great idea.......:thumbs:....... , possibly find a horn cap button with cross flags from some old Impala / Vette and it would dress up the wheel.
The steering wheel is the nicest one I could find that fit the quick release hardware. It is from an Italian company called Momo. I have never heard of them, but the kids driving tuner cars know who they are. I want to find a C5 emblem decal the right size and then paint over the Momo on the horn button and make it a C5 horn button. Just a little apprehensive that I will make a mess. After I do, I am sure Momo would want a ton of money for another one, judging by their price for the wheel.

The steering wheel is the nicest one I could find that fit the quick release hardware. It is from an Italian company called Momo. I have never heard of them, but the kids driving tuner cars know who they are. I want to find a C5 emblem decal the right size and then paint over the Momo on the horn button and make it a C5 horn button. Just a little apprehensive that I will make a mess. After I do, I am sure Momo would want a ton of money for another one, judging by their price for the wheel.

Yes Bik the Momo wheel is a well known aftermarket wheel. Yours looks great. There might be some different horn caps you can get... or ya mod the Momo one. There are lots of very good vinyls available with all the Corvette stuff. The sizes of the crossed flags I bought would almost be right. It sticks on good and with a hair dryer can be shaped easily. I did some of this with a set of wheel Center caps for my car. Worked out great. There are pictures in the winter add on thread.
It’s the wheel of choice in the Hummer community too. Although mine doesn’t come off. Actually need the thing in place to climb up and in there. 😂
D573BDE5-6191-4FAE-83AC-2323F9E8CE5B.jpeg

That is an amazing looking office you have there. Love to take a ride in that.

Good to know the C5 vinyl will be the easy part. The Momo horn button itself is what I want to mod. It has almost no clearance all the way around to the rest of the assembly to try to pry it off. Which looks great but hard to get off. I had to pry off the grill, covering the air temp sensor on the dash, to take the bottom of the dash off. The tabs broke. Looking at the new one from Corvette Depot, the tabs look like it would be impossible not to break them. Next to no clearance to get a screwdriver in on it either. Might be using a stiff feeler gauge to force off the horn button. I will get around to breaking it soon. :D

Reactions: ddgermann
That is an amazing looking office you have there. Love to take a ride in that.

Good to know the C5 vinyl will be the easy part. The Momo horn button itself is what I want to mod. It has almost no clearance all the way around to the rest of the assembly to try to pry it off. Which looks great but hard to get off. I had to pry off the grill, covering the air temp sensor on the dash, to take the bottom of the dash off. The tabs broke. Looking at the new one from Corvette Depot, the tabs look like it would be impossible not to break them. Next to no clearance to get a screwdriver in on it either. Might be using a stiff feeler gauge to force off the horn button. I will get around to breaking it soon. :D

Buy yourself some plastic trim tools. These things are amazing and designed to sneak in and behind properly to pop off the bits and pieces. They can usually be bought in a kit. Princess Auto had a really nice set on sale a while back.
Maybe you won’t need to pop off the horn button... you can set the wheel on the table and work on it.
I put a background vinyl on with the original overlay on top of if. It’s very flexible and you could very well press it out to the edge and carefully trim it off. Then the crossed flags or whatever over that.
This is my favourite kind of project. 👍

• Informative
Reactions: YFCvii and Bixter44
Thanks Derek. I will be on the Princess Auto site right away. Going to the city Tuesday. I need the horn button off and away from the surrounding black plastic ring. I need room to work. For you this is a breeze. For me, I'd sooner weld it. I might be pm-ing some stupid questions to you before I'm done. Thanks for the suggestions on how to do it.

Reactions: ddgermann
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.