HLaari

I'm New Here
Sep 10, 2018
VetteCoins
Car
Corvette 1972 t roof
I bought a Coleman caboose trailer to pull behind my Vette for my golf clubs! I want to get it painted cobalt blue to match the Vette but car painters don’t want to touch it. Does anyone have suggestions for getting it painted. It’s black hard plastic right now. Thanks

Before investing in some running boards ($800) I stopped in to a local paint shop to see about getting them painted to match my car (another $800 believe it or not, and just for two running boards) - they come black or possibly no paint.
At any rate the guy said he would not touch them until they had weathered for a year and been washed (rained upon) several times. The reason being that when they mold the plastic they use silicon so it will not adhere to the mold. The silicone is what would cause the "new" paint to peel away - which would necessitate repainting it maybe several times
Guy up in Ottawa had his intake and valve covers painted with "fireman" logo. It peeled and had to be repainted. Much sanding and washing to get it ready for the repaint.
As to the price to paint, that is for several coats of colour and then a few clears. Depends on the "look" you want.

Would there might be a company that will do something cobalt blue in a wrap or decal ???

A dealer did this on a van so who knows if maybe a wrap might work ...
BB4A6582-62BA-415B-9363-05FFB164B343.jpeg

Last edited:
Before investing in some running boards ($800) I stopped in to a local paint shop to see about getting them painted to match my car (another $800 believe it or not, and just for two running boards) - they come black or possibly no paint.
At any rate the guy said he would not touch them until they had weathered for a year and been washed (rained upon) several times. The reason being that when they mold the plastic they use silicon so it will not adhere to the mold. The silicone is what would cause the "new" paint to peel away - which would necessitate repainting it maybe several times
Guy up in Ottawa had his intake and valve covers painted with "fireman" logo. It peeled and had to be repainted. Much sanding and washing to get it ready for the repaint.
As to the price to paint, that is for several coats of colour and then a few clears. Depends on the "look" you want.
I assume you are talking about side skirts Richard. Not sure where you got them but mine are from ACS Composites. I lightly wet sanded them with 2000 grit, washed and rinsed them and let them dry. Then painted them with 4 coats of carbon flash paint, lightly wet sanding with 3000 grit after each coat dried, then 3 coats of clear coat, wet sanding the first 2 coats after they dried. Then a finish clear coat. They turned out pretty good and I saved a few bucks along the way. Did the same with my splash guards. Two years now and the paint hasn't peeled away yet.

• Winner
Reactions: ddgermann
I assume you are talking about side skirts Richard. Not sure where you got them but mine are from ACS Composites. I lightly wet sanded them with 2000 grit, washed and rinsed them and let them dry. Then painted them with 4 coats of carbon flash paint, lightly wet sanding with 3000 grit after each coat dried, then 3 coats of clear coat, wet sanding the first 2 coats after they dried. Then a finish clear coat. They turned out pretty good and I saved a few bucks along the way. Did the same with my splash guards. Two years now and the paint hasn't peeled away yet.
Thanks Rruff;
ACS is actually in Montreal. I stopped by their shop/warehouse last week to look at what they had. Was not particularly impressed with the shop but it is what it is.
I believe I can get the side skirts from right out of the mold (gray) and then just work on them like you did. Don't think I would save much on the paint job as I would have to buy the equipment - spray gun, etc to get the job done. I would have the equipment after though.
Thanks for the advice on procedure.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.