May 3, 2018
Aurora
VetteCoins
Car
2019 Stingray
I have a question for the group. The "standard" oil filter in GM listings for a non-boosted Stingray base engine is PF64. I have seen several postings on various forums (from the U.S.A.) for an alternative AC Delco filter, called the "gold/performance" version. Actually, there are two additional listed versions, one for street use, which is listed as UPF64R, and another for racing uses (which I'm not interested in) shown as UPF64RF.

The spec on the UPF64 is pretty good in terms of first pass efficiency, burst strength, and they even specify the bypass pressure limit.

My question: has anybody actually used the upgraded UPF64....the pricing is pretty good, and shown in Canadian $ on the U.S. site I looked at, but try as I might I can't find a source in Canada for these. The local dealer parts guy in the town I live in got a really puzzled look when I asked about these alternative AC-Delco filters, so no luck there.

Thanks!

Late Life Crisis

I have a question for the group. The "standard" oil filter in GM listings for a non-boosted Stingray base engine is PF64. I have seen several postings on various forums (from the U.S.A.) for an alternative AC Delco filter, called the "gold/performance" version. Actually, there are two additional listed versions, one for street use, which is listed as UPF64R, and another for racing uses (which I'm not interested in) shown as UPF64RF.

The spec on the UPF64 is pretty good in terms of first pass efficiency, burst strength, and they even specify the bypass pressure limit.

My question: has anybody actually used the upgraded UPF64....the pricing is pretty good, and shown in Canadian $ on the U.S. site I looked at, but try as I might I can't find a source in Canada for these. The local dealer parts guy in the town I live in got a really puzzled look when I asked about these alternative AC-Delco filters, so no luck there.

Thanks!

Late Life

The general consensus is to use a PF64 or a name brand, quality filter with a 22 psi bypass pressure rating, which is factory spec. The AC Delco PF64 obviously meets that requirement. Products from Fram, Napa and Wix also comply. The UPF64R does not, it has a bypass pressure rating of 35.53 psi which is not recommended for use with the LT1 engine. It is too high to work properly with the dual stage, variable displacement oil pump used in these engines. It is critical that the filter complies with GM's requirements, not only for warranty purposes but to ensure that sufficient oil volume is provided during cold starts and up until the engine reaches operating temperature. The 22 psi bypass rating is extremely important for these reasons. I would definitely not use the UPF64R filter on an LT1.

The attached GM Tech-Link gives a little more information. Just my .02 cents, I'm sure that others will offer additional input.

Best regards
Ross

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.