Aug 4, 2020
VetteCoins
Car
2022 Z51 Coupe
Province
ON
So in Toronto the weather is looking pretty good Wed/Thurs, and the next 2 week stretch is mixed. My car is off insurance at the moment & initially I was going to wait until April to bring it out for the season but considering restarting the coverage so I can do some driving this week... I'm getting antsy, I really want to put some km's on so I can get past the break-in period (only 225km so far). The main roads near me are also horrible right now, lots of pot holes so still a bit hesitant and may just wait until April...

Wondering what other people normally do?

Over the past couple years, I've:

1. provided a list of bad potholes along my normal route to/from work, to my Municipality right around now when potholes are making a more obvious appearance. The hope is to have most of them fixed by the time I'm driving my C8. My City has a program where you post notice of potholes online and they use that as a reference and I've found this to be fairly effective. I've destroyed tires and a rim before on bad potholes so I don't want that with the more expensive C8 tires and (aftermarket) rims;
2. "unparked" my C8 when the roads I use are clear of snow/ice and all daily temperatures are forecast to be almost 100% above zero, into the foreseeable future. That's been as early as mid-March in the past. I don't mind some snow the odd time with ***all-season tires*** and have driven with them on snow before w/o problem. The type of tires you have is critical, IMO, not only for grip but also stopping distance, if you're safety conscious;
3. ideally I'd like to wait for the street cleaners to clear all road debris off but I've found I'm simply too eager to get the C8 out and about, so I drive it knowing the increased risks of rock chips. Having PPF in all the usual areas plus my front windshield coated with a protective film, makes that decision easier. I used to wait for the streets to be cleaned of all "grit" before taking out my motorcycle, but cornering in a 4-wheeled vehicle, even over grit, isn't so bad as long as you drive reasonably knowing the City streets might not be completely clean.

Good luck!

Reactions: jimmyb
All season M+S tires so I drove from purchased in October. The car handled our little snow quite well. Heading up for skiing I got stopped by a police roadblock checking for winter tires and they were shocked this performance car had snow tires. Typically I will park in mid-October and reanimate mid-April. I have many years of storing motorcycles and was subject to "spring fever" but have learned to wait.

… not until after this “road-ent” sees its shadow 😂👍🏻

97196BA1-6382-40C2-95F8-18B2F53DE0EE.gif

I'm hoping for mid April. If I stay way from the city, which is pretty easy for me, I avoid the salted roads. Grit on the highways will be worn off by then unless we get a late snow or ice storm. Fingers crossed. Driving Insurance is easy. I just call my girl and she emails me a pink card the same day.

As soon as possible. The wifeys Camaro will come out first. I will drive it for a couple of weeks to determine that everything is working alright…🤥🤫. Likely April 1ish. Then my Grand Sport will show up. Likely mid April.

Reactions: OL Yeller
The car should not be driven until the temperature is a consistent 7 degrees or higher. Unless you have winter tires or like driving on hockey pucks.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.