Power User
Oct 8, 2016
West Vancouver, BC
VetteCoins
Car
2022 C8 Z51 3LT HTC
Province
BC
I have a 2016 C7 vert - now 5 YO with 19,800 km on it. Change oil once a year - booked appt. to-day. They suggested - told me because 5 YO now that the brakes are due for service and cooling system due - cost in total for both with taxes around $350+, I guess and oil change $150. My question, I will be ordering a C8 soon and am thinking to leave service other than oil change. Anyone that has technical knowledge about the brakes and cooling system servicing please comment. I am leaning to getting it all done?? He told me mileage not the issue - 5 yr old need the recommended service - no warranty now.

Reactions: nascar03
I'd do it , $350 for brake fluid and coolant flush seems quite reasonable.

Then there will be no excuses when you trade in a well maintained car.

If you are not on the list for a C8 now, you may be waiting for a year and getting a 2023 in our area.

I have a 2016 C7 vert - now 5 YO with 19,800 km on it. Change oil once a year - booked appt. to-day. They suggested - told me because 5 YO now that the brakes are due for service and cooling system due - cost in total for both with taxes around $350+, I guess and oil change $150. My question, I will be ordering a C8 soon and am thinking to leave service other than oil change. Anyone that has technical knowledge about the brakes and cooling system servicing please comment. I am leaning to getting it all done?? He told me mileage not the issue - 5 yr old need the recommended service - no warranty now.
James, I'm currently in Nakusp staying with another Vette friend. Please pm me and we can discuss further.

The best advice that I can give you is to follow the service and maintenance schedule in your Owner's Manual. Based on mileage, your vehicle would be due for servicing at 24,000 kl but the only thing that is recommended, other than an oil change, which you're doing once a year, and routine inspection, is to replace your wiper blades and that would be at your discretion.

The time requirement that the dealer is be referring to, with regard to the braking system, is the recommended brake fluid change at the three year mark and every three years thereafter. Although he's a little late, this is a good idea due to the fact that a) the brake fluid is hydroscopic and, over time, it will absorb water and b) the fluid that is contained in the ABS pump is not regularly circulated and will deteriorate. If left long enough, I mean 10 years or more, it can begin to gel or gum up. If that's what they're talking about, I would recommend that you have it done if you have not already done so. The same goes for the clutch fluid for those models with the manual transmission. Other than the fluid change / flush and a routine visual inspection of the reservoir, pads, calipers and rotors, there are no other maintenance requirements for your braking system based on the time and mileage that you've stated.

As for the cooling system, the Dex-Cool product supplied as factory fill is a long-life coolant and, again, based on the maintenance schedule, is recommended to be replaced at 240,000 kl or 5 years, whichever comes first. If it were my car, I'd have the coolant change done. You could easily get away without it but a comprehensive service record can only add value to the sale or trade-in of your vehicle.

Again, follow the service and maintenance schedule and you can't go wrong. It sounds like your dealer is being straight with you, a rare bird these days.

Best of luck
Ross

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.