Featured Thread
Jan 20, 2018
Toronto
VetteCoins
Car
2017 Z06 (Z07)
Nice day in TO today with the sun shining into the garage making it a good 10C in there, so I had to take a peek and happy to report all is good :Biggrin:.
I have the Z on battery tender and stored for the winter, but a few years ago Iearned a valuable lesson as a mouse got into my garage and hung out in the engine bay of my Boss. Thankfully I was alerted to his presence via one mouse dropping on the cover. The little bugger managed to get under the cover and deposit said gifts in and around the engine bay.

No damage was done and frankly I consider myself lucky as they are sometimes known to set up camp and chew threw electrical wiring and whatever else they choose. They can do a lot of damage. I read recently that some of the compounds used in the wire coverings are vegetable based which is great for the environment and for mice too! I'm very careful and aware of mice living alongside a forest but they are persistent as everyone knows. We just had new garage doors with near airtight sealing installed this year and I keep traps baited through the year and no problems since.

So my point in all of this is please don't store your car and forget about it. It can take a mouse a few seconds to get into the garage and the same for them to do a lot of damage---just imagine them in your car for months! I know that some people use dryer sheets, steel wool in the exhaust etc to ward them off and I'm not here to debate those methods as I'm certain they have their merit, but nothing beats periodic visual inspections throughout the winter. I'm sure most of you know and do this, but just a reminder to anyone that does not.

And the bonus was seeing the car from under the cover--damn is she beautiful.

Cheers!

Good reminder to do visual checks Lupo, nothing worse than seeing chewed up wiring...... part of my routine are dryer sheets in the engine bay and the placing of a couple of moth balls inside a little container and placing them beneath the car..... fingers crossed but never a had problem.

Reactions: lupo
Very good point. One got into our 2015 Mustang a few years ago. Chewed up some foam piece on top of the engine, which was decorative more than anything. Fortunately, that was all the damage that was done. I drive my Z06/07 all year round, so I don't worry about mice ;) However, my STi, S2000, and Viper all sit over the winter in garages, so I have mouse traps set up all around with mouse killer.......... We haven't had any problems since......... :)

Reactions: lupo and ddgermann
Awesome :thumbs: ... Plans are being made for me to head to YEG for Fri afternoon
returning back to YYC on Sat ... so if I hear anything about an H1 stirring :WillyNilly: traffic up
... I don't have no clue :Smuggrin: ...

I just can’t be helped with an open exhaust all the way back from the turbo... it’s so obnoxious it’s funny. The mice hate it... and every Prius driver on the planet.

Reactions: Bixter44
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.