Foggy1

Casual User
You're 5
Jul 31, 2015
Oshawa
VetteCoins
Car
2009 ZR1
Anyone have any idea as to what psi I should run at CTMP ? Running sport cup that will probably need to be replaced no tread left lol they are pretty much slicks now .

Anyone have any idea as to what psi I should run at CTMP ? Running sport cup that will probably need to be replaced no tread left lol they are pretty much slicks now .

There's no magic one line answer to this question as there are many variables involved i.e. suspension, track conditions, ambient/track temps, driver skill etc. Having said all that one line answer "as a general rule of thumb I start with 5psi below OEM specs taken when tires are cold." Then run a few hot laps and see what needs adjustment.

Ok thanks Nik , I'll try that and go from there , had a tire monitor sensor go on me last time and that pretty much ended my day

Buy a really good quality race pressure monitor. They are invaluable for consistency. Keep detailed notes if you can, some of it is going to be how comfortable you feels behind the wheel. Pressure can make a big difference. Nik offered some good advice.

Really hope you enjoy your lapping day. It will be interesting to hear how you did, have fun stay safe.:thumbs:

Will do stay safe and stay on the track. Where can I get a monitor ?

Amazon sells morosso, longacre or Joe's stuff. You want a decent one with a bleeder valve. No digital stuff.

If you really get into it you'll want a tire pyrometer also for surface temps but not essential.

Remember to take hot pressure immediately after a hot lap preferably without traffic slowing you down.

Cheap:
Amazon product

Moderate:
Amazon product -- with hold valve

Money is no object and I will donate my racing proceeds to CCF:

Longacre Temp Compensated Tire Gauge 53050
-- with temp probe and everything

Get a tire temp reader and check them ASAP after stopping ( no cool down laps ) and try to get temps to be even on outside middle and inside. A prong one is better then digital - have used both.

Corvette tire pressure can be weird to know what to use as the car is so weight balanced, pressures vary.

I think i used to run my Hoosier A's 38-42 cold front and 30-34 rear cold - this was for autocrossing, not road racing.

Sport Cups are stiff........ maybe a few lbs over stock pressures, not as high in front for road racing as i mention above... I think..... I have done less open track days and more autocross.

B

Last edited:
I wasn't able to get a monitor before I went to CTMP ,but I set all 4 tires to 25 psi cold and she handled great no issues at all , after lunch I checked them and they were all but one RR still at 25 I just had to let a pound out of the one.No squeal no sliding even wear across the tires drove her home in one piece awesome day with Apex . Thx for the advice

I wasn't able to get a monitor before I went to CTMP ,but I set all 4 tires to 25 psi cold and she handled great no issues at all , after lunch I checked them and they were all but one RR still at 25 I just had to let a pound out of the one.No squeal no sliding even wear across the tires drove her home in one piece awesome day with Apex . Thx for the advice

Nice, I remember apex days were decent.

Did you time yourself?

I have a grainy video my son took of me passing a Ferrari gotta like that I will post it tomorrow . Lap times were in the 1.40's top speed up the back straight fastest was 260 but I wasn't too comfortable cresting the hill at that speed especially with my son in the car so kept it around 230 . Want to make sure I can drive home . Apex does a awesome Job there safety is #1 I highly recommend going to their lapping days .

That was a good read lots of info there ! Been trying to put video on can't seem to do it . I haven't driven her since lappin and now notice a leak just had rear main seal done leaking again now f$$k .

That was a good read lots of info there ! Been trying to put video on can't seem to do it . I haven't driven her since lappin and now notice a leak just had rear main seal done leaking again now f$$k .

Easiest is to upload it to youtube and paste the direct link here. You can also upload directly to a media album on here but we have file size restrictions so may not be ideal for a long video.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.