Jul 26, 2018
VetteCoins
Car
Corvette 2005 C6
Hi All Around,

I was just wondering what the correct oil temperature range is for operating my C6 in the higher rpm ranges of around 5-6000. For my engine the red zone starts at 6500 rpm so that is not the problem. The question is rather: is there or isn't there a recommended minimum oil temperature when you are really pushing the car beyond the 5k mark? (and I don't mean racing the car on the track - that's a different story all together). It's also understood that one shouldn't push the engine towards the "red" with a cold engine.

Any opinions on that? :)

65-80C (150-180F) seems to be the consensus range, though some insist you should wait for full operating temperature which is probably more like 90-100C (200-212F). Redline is only one factor as engine load should also be considered, so it's advisable to limit both RPM and throttle position until the engine is warm. The issue is that engine wear is caused by friction and the oil is not offering maximum protection until up to temperature. Friction is happening through the total speed of the engine and the rate at which the engine speed is increased. With the Corvette I stay well under 4000 RPM when cold, probably more like under 3000, I probably don't get on it until at least 65C, and probably stay below 5000 RPM until it's upstards of 90C. This is approximated as it's not as though I'm watching the tach the whole time, as it's more of a sympathetic relationship to the machine by sound and feel. I tend to drive all vehicles fairly sympathetically while warming up, and as most don't have oil temp it's more of an approximation through the coolant temp and how long it's been running.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.