i have a friend that is a marine mechanic. there were 2 guys that bought brand new bass boats with 200 hp optimax mercs and they both grenaded. first thing done was a fuel test.....came out at 18% ethanol !!! they bought discount fuel somewhere and guess what ? warranty void due to bad fuel - customers fault. all the literature warned about it and clearly states premium only. if you suspect you may have some bad fuel add startron to it and get some good fuel in the tank soon.

I had this happen in my old truck. I had it stored at Taylorsk8's place for almost 2 years. When I came to pick it up, it started fine, I let it run, then it stalled. However, after a bit of coaxing, it fired up again and I figured it's now or never to go home. Well my goodness did that ol' girl sputter on the road. I could only get 50 km/h as a top speed and it was hating life. About 10 km down the road it REALLY started to putter and cough and then died as I was rolling along! However, before it even came to a stop, I fired her back up and wouldn't you know it, it drove great! Back to normal! :rofl: I think I just had to work the ethanol through the system and get to the gas. Even if the gas did have a lower octane now without the ethanol, I don't think the 8.2:1 compression would really care too much. :D

in the usa, at least around north and south Dakota a lot of the premium fuel has ethanol in it.

Petro Canada Ultra 94 doesn't/didn't have ethanol, but it pays to keep an eye on things as these companies are always sneaking things in without telling you. Oh it might be on the back page somewhere about changes but is never obvious. Our owner's manual warns against using Methanol. When I go to the Bridgenorth Cruise Night on Mondays, I usually top up with Shell premium while there as the gas station is just a few hundred yards up the road. Works for me.

I'm now using Shell for a while to see how it responds in my car. I have used Petro Can 94 but it does cost a little more and I don't need the extra octane.
91 should be enough so Shell it is -- I'll also be interested to see if the gas mileage improves on already good numbers.

C.

Read this off another forum. They stated they contacted Shell, Esso, Petro Canada and another company (I can't remember the name). The official answer they got back was that there was NO ethanol in Esso or Shell premium fuels across Canada and Petro Canada contains up to 10% ethanol in ALL grades they sell. I just checked this out on PC's site and 94 definitely can contain up to 10% Ethanol.

Petro-Canada Canada’s Gas Station Home Page - Petro-Points - Petro-Canada and CIBC MasterCard

Reactions: Cruzin
Read this off another forum. They stated they contacted Shell, Esso, Petro Canada and another company (I can't remember the name). The official answer they got back was that there was NO ethanol in Esso or Shell premium fuels across Canada and Petro Canada contains up to 10% ethanol in ALL grades they sell. I just checked this out on PC's site and 94 definitely can contain up to 10% Ethanol.

Petro-Canada Canada

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread