May 4, 2021
Ottawa
VetteCoins
Car
2021 Mustang Mach 1
Province
ON
So, I know this topic has been beat to death on most C8 forums,and a higher percentage of Corvette owners invest in PPF film or at least ceramic coating. But I just wanted to show you some quick pictures of a clients car that just was dropped off at my garage.
it's a 2013 Audi S5 Cabriolet with over 140k kms on it. This thing is daily driven and taken through automated car washes (eeww), but, it's had the entire front end PPF (Suntek) since day 1 (7 years old and just starting to break down), but the pics speak for themselves. The hood and front fenders look amazing, very very little swirls and still shining like new, the hood has NO chips or visible damage. Now, the rest of the car looks like it was sand blasted and crazy swirls and aging. I'm going to reapply new PPF to the bumper and grill, and of course paint correct the entire car and then ceramic coat and she will be good as new.
PPF is expensive, but, if you plan to keep your car a while and enjoy it, it is a worthwhile investment. The pictures of the back fender show how bad the unprotevted area is.

Attachments

• 20210611_193147_HDR.jpg
    20210611_193147_HDR.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 130
  • 20210611_193157_HDR.jpg
    20210611_193157_HDR.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 122
  • 20210611_193201_HDR.jpg
    20210611_193201_HDR.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 118
  • 20210611_193216_HDR.jpg
    20210611_193216_HDR.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 117
  • 20210611_193222_HDR.jpg
    20210611_193222_HDR.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 118
Well I am probably going to be the exception here but I like to wipe down the original aluminum shaped by the manufacturer and not a plastic film so a full-car PPF will never be in my future. As a matter of fact my car is need of refresh (>20,000 klicks) so I will be popping into my favourite shop for a consult this week.

My goal is to have the OEM PPF on the rockers removed due to its yellowing plus some scuffs left a mark I cannot scrub out. I want them (Detailed Solutions) to apply new PPF only on the front clip and rockers with a full ceramic coating to the entire car. I have a couple of more technical questions to discuss with them before I make a final decision.

I will build a separate C7 thread soon with a few pictures of the OEM PPF showing what garbage it is and always has been, even on my trucks.

:Cheers2:

Reactions: OL Yeller
Well I am probably going to be the exception here but I like to wipe down the original aluminum shaped by the manufacturer and not a plastic film so a full-car PPF will never be in my future. As a matter of fact my car is need of refresh (>20,000 klicks) so I will be popping into my favourite shop for a consult this week.

My goal is to have the OEM PPF on the rockers removed due to its yellowing plus some scuffs left a mark I cannot scrub out. I want them (Detailed Solutions) to apply new PPF only on the front clip and rockers with a full ceramic coating to the entire car. I have a couple of more technical questions to discuss with them before I make a final decision.

I will build a separate C7 thread soon with a few pictures of the OEM PPF showing what garbage it is and always has been, even on my trucks.

I didn’t know GM had OEM PPF? It wasn’t available when I bought my C8. Is it something they offered in previous years? I did get my PPF done through the dealership but by an outside contractor. Probably paid more than I would have if I have looked around, but I didn’t have much choice given my time constraints (not because of any dealership pressure)

My rockers are factory PPF as well but no yellowing that I can notice. Maybe the joy of a DSOM colour... I did PPF my entire front end, hood and fenders included, plus door sills and door latch coves and glad I did. Ceramic is nice to clean but does nothing for paint protection from road debris. I have several marks in the front bumper PPF that would have been chips in the paint if the ppf wasn't there.

Self healing PPF is a unicorn. Often discussed never actually seen. That being said I have a couple of marks on my Suntek (maybe its Expel, I can’t remember)on the hood that only make me smile as opposed to cry.

Reactions: Rruuff Day
Self healing PPF is a unicorn. Often discussed never actually seen. That being said I have a couple of marks on my Suntek (maybe its Expel, I can’t remember)on the hood that only make me smile as opposed to cry.
Watch this video. Fake? I dunno, looks cool to me.

Watch this video. Fake? I dunno, looks cool to me.

lol. Mine was advertised and sold to me as self healing. Hot sun, hair dryer, anything with direct heat. Well it was 40 drgrees here for half the summer and nada, zip, zilch, zero self healing in a real world application. FYI didn’t see much self healing on the video, only claims of self healing. Regardless, ppf is still a good idea especially on a Mclaren that I could never afford. I Likely can’t afford that ppf install either. lol

lol. Mine was advertised and sold to me as self healing. Hot sun, hair dryer, anything with direct heat. Well it was 40 drgrees here for half the summer and nada, zip, zilch, zero self healing in a real world application. FYI didn’t see much self healing on the video, only claims of self healing. Regardless, ppf is still a good idea especially on a Mclaren that I could never afford. I Likely can’t afford that ppf install either. lol
They changed the video. They used a streel wire brush and scraped the ppf. It healed itself. "Physician Heal thyself" lol. Not going to try it on mine though. ;)

• Wow
Reactions: Cariboocreek
Here is a better video.

If they had actually shown damaging the ppf and then it healing itself from something more significant than a light touch with a brush, I might believe it. Show me a rock pick in the ppf healing itself cause mine sure doesn't. But regardless, they aren't rock picks in my paint so I'm happy.

If they had actually shown damaging the ppf and then it healing itself from something more significant than a light touch with a brush, I might believe it. Show me a rock pick in the ppf healing itself cause mine sure doesn't. But regardless, they aren't rock picks in my paint so I'm happy.
I admit it's a light touch, but you can see the scratches and you can see them disappear.

I admit it's a light touch, but you can see the scratches and you can see them disappear.
Lol... I dunno... they used a brass bristle brush for a reason. That soft brass wouldn't scratch an itch on your ass...lol. Let me at it with something that will actually scratch it more than barely touching the surface and they might make me a believer.

Yes, if you remember earlier in another thread, I pointed out that I install this stuff (and have for many years) as a side thing... all modern PPF (Suntek, Xpel, 3M, etc.) has some "self healing" ability, but it's really just a marketing gimick (light scratches and micro marring will self heal). Nothing will "heal" from a sharp stone or an errant key coming at the paint, but, it will be the "sacrificial layer" and prevent damage to the paint. This is the intended purpose of PPF anyway, so, I don't know why they do these videos for marketing. Most people who pay for this already know the key benefits of PPF and are already sold on it. Now, if you put a ceramic coating layer over top of the PPF you will get mixed results, but it will make the surface super slick and easier to maintain overall.

Yes, if you remember earlier in another thread, I pointed out that I install this stuff (and have for many years) as a side thing... all modern PPF (Suntek, Xpel, 3M, etc.) has some "self healing" ability, but it's really just a marketing gimick (light scratches and micro marring will self heal). Nothing will "heal" from a sharp stone or an errant key coming at the paint, but, it will be the "sacrificial layer" and prevent damage to the paint. This is the intended purpose of PPF anyway, so, I don't know why they do these videos for marketing. Most people who pay for this already know the key benefits of PPF and are already sold on it. Now, if you put a ceramic coating layer over top of the PPF you will get mixed results, but it will make the surface super slick and easier to maintain overall.
I hear ya.
FWIW Kavaca has ceramic in it (on it?)

I did my own 3m ppf, then DIY ceramic from Avalon King, then a topper from Extreme Solutions. Super slick.
Only washed my C8 2 times this summer with 2x coats of topper.
Bug parts came off easy and no stone marks.
One more wash using a ceramic maintenance wash and into winter garage storage 31 Oct.
Sleep well my sleeping beauty ( and adding a batt maintainer to keep heartbeat going) . Till we play again next spring.

Reactions: pozi240
PPF is a clear film that is sprayed on the painted surface of your vehicle and protects it from stones chips, scratches, and other environmental factors. It features a self-healing property that makes it possible to remove small scratches, swirls, and defects with heat.
Is this a new process? I have never heard of PPF that is sprayed on. PPF is Saran wrap for your car.

Is this a new process? I have never heard of PPF that is sprayed on. PPF is Saran wrap for your car.
There are a few relatively new (patent pending) "sprayable" PPF products on the market. (DIY products, but there is pro installed versions as well.... I personally wouldn't try it on my C8.... LOL) They are almost as expensive as using the tried and true PPF films from Xpel, Suntek, LLumar, etc. Jury is still out just how effective these sprayable products are........ Liquidshield - Paint Protection Made Easy & Affordable

• Informative
Reactions: Murray20c8
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.