Nov 16, 2017
VetteCoins
I'm looking for recommendations on how to clean dirty edges of PPF. I have a white C7 and find that after several years, the edges of the PPF have collected dirt and look black. I've tried cleaning with a soap solution using a toothbrush on the edges with no success. I've also tried using a clay bar with detailer which didn't work either.

If you've had the same issue and managed to resolve it, I'd appreciate knowing how you did it.

Thanks,

I'm looking for recommendations on how to clean dirty edges of PPF. I have a white C7 and find that after several years, the edges of the PPF have collected dirt and look black. I've tried cleaning with a soap solution using a toothbrush on the edges with no success. I've also tried using a clay bar with detailer which didn't work either.

If you've had the same issue and managed to resolve it, I'd appreciate knowing how you did it.

Thanks,
I think that I would try some 99% isopropyl alcohol. The grunge may be stuck on the adhesive along the edge and this might dissolve it. Worth a try.

Reactions: Vettenut
Thanks for the suggestion. I tried using some isopropyl alcohol on one of the edges and it does work. I'll use isopropyl alcohol to clean the rest of the edges.
No way I would trust a 99% solvent on my ride and yes that % isopropyl is a solvent. At the very best, you will also be removing any wax. If used often on clear coat, at that strength it will do damage. It is supposedly safe to use on ceramic finish but I'd still be cautious. Just my opinion.

No way I would trust a 99% solvent on my ride and yes that % isopropyl is a solvent. At the very best, you will also be removing any wax. If used often on clear coat, at that strength it will do damage. It is supposedly safe to use on ceramic finish but I'd still be cautious. Just my opinion.
It’s not like it’s something that you should have to do that often fortunately. Could always water down the alcohol to where it still works but wouldn’t do any damage. The dirty edges after all are just that, at the panel edge so the alcohol shouldn’t really come in contact with the finish except perhaps if the rockers are done…

Reactions: Vettenut

Users who are viewing this thread