Shadz

Casual User
You're 5
Jul 20, 2015
Kenora, On
VetteCoins
Car
1975 Coupe,
Question. Recommendations or input into power window motors. Mine move very slow iniytially, suspect alignment but seem to be very weak at the top. Are they a case of either work or don't? Or if tired ( only 42 years old), would new motors pull up tight and help eliminate wind noise.

Can you recommend any garage ( Winnipeg area preferrably) who has experience with our old cars.
Thanks

Question. Recommendations or input into power window motors. Mine move very slow iniytially, suspect alignment but seem to be very weak at the top. Are they a case of either work or don't? Or if tired ( only 42 years old), would new motors pull up tight and help eliminate wind noise.

Can you recommend any garage ( Winnipeg area preferrably) who has experience with our old cars.
Thanks

Did you try some silicone or graphite lube in the tracks? Preference is yours. I used silicone to prevent any possible black constantly on my window. Comes in a spray can at NAPA or likely any auto parts store.
Worked great on my H1 that was doing the same. Slow laboured movement going up.
Work like new now.
Just be careful... if you spray down into the door track and operate the window it will likely blow the inside door panel off. (Ask me how I know this :Banghead: )
Blow air in for a bit before hitting the window switch. :Biggrin:

Let us know.

Shadz, I had that exact problem with my 70 Stingray before my restoration. The problem is the grease they used on the tracks and rollers has solidified after all these years. It is a lithium style grease that was used, and becomes very sticky and chalky over time. This is the exact opposite you want from grease. The only permanent fix is to remove the door glass, tracks and mechanism, and to degrease everything with a varsol, lube with new lithium grease and reassemble. Mine both work like new now. I have had the same issue in other older cars. You can try just spraying new lubriplate in the tracks as-is, but I have never had very good results doing so. I have found complete disassembly and cleaning of the window mechanism is the only real fix for the older cars. This is a great winter project you can do slowly with some patience.

Did you try some silicone or graphite lube in the tracks? Preference is yours. I used silicone to prevent any possible black constantly on my window. Comes in a spray can at NAPA or likely any auto parts store.
Worked great on my H1 that was doing the same. Slow laboured movement going up.
Work like new now.
Just be careful... if you spray down into the door track and operate the window it will likely blow the inside door panel off. (Ask me how I know this :Banghead: )
Blow air in for a bit before hitting the window switch. :Biggrin:

Let us know.
Great advice. I should have called long ago. All makes sense.. Will try this before dismantling. Great fall or winter project, among others... Thanks again

Great advice. I should have called long ago. All makes sense.. Will try this before dismantling. Great fall or winter project, among others... Thanks again

Ziggy described the very best way for sure but I did mine with the silicone spray 2 years ago and it's still working good. So like my H1, on your Corvette parked out of the weather it might work good for you for a long time too. :thumbs: Just don't blow up your door...

:rofl1:

Reactions: turbozig
I srayed mine with wd/40....kept soaking it down to wash the tracks clean....it gets pretty sticky in there....then washed out the inside of the bottom of door with zep degreaser...still have to finish cleaning drivers side out. The dirt and old grease in there, from others i suspect, is rediculous.
The washing with wd/40 seemed to do the trick but i would suspect a good greese job will keep it running freely for many years to come.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.