I am currently in the middle of doing some longevity mods on my daily Suzuki SX4. It started with replacing some exhaust donut gaskets as they were on the way out almost causing a major exhaust leak. I also needed rear calipers so I went ahead and bought 4 new ones.

My question involves those calipers. I have just replaced the front calipers but not before spending a week and a bit painting them with some VHT paint. I know the paint will not last (hoping to get a year or two out of the finish).

I'm thinking of taking the 4 calipers I yank off and get them rebuilt and powdercoated then putting them back on. So the question(s) is(are) how would the powdercoat finish hold up with winter use? Will they still look decent after a few years or will the ravages of winter destroy the finish fairly quickly?? How long in general will the finish last?

Attachments

• IMG_20240331_142857.jpg
    IMG_20240331_142857.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20240415_165839.jpg
    IMG_20240415_165839.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20240415_165851.jpg
    IMG_20240415_165851.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 0
I am currently in the middle of doing some longevity mods on my daily Suzuki SX4. It started with replacing some exhaust donut gaskets as they were on the way out almost causing a major exhaust leak. I also needed rear calipers so I went ahead and bought 4 new ones.

My question involves those calipers. I have just replaced the front calipers but not before spending a week and a bit painting them with some VHT paint. I know the paint will not last (hoping to get a year or two out of the finish).

I'm thinking of taking the 4 calipers I yank off and get them rebuilt and powdercoated then putting them back on. So the question(s) is(are) how would the powdercoat finish hold up with winter use? Will they still look decent after a few years or will the ravages of winter destroy the finish fairly quickly?? How long in general will the finish last?
Can't say with calipers but I had a headache rack for my truck done in gloss black. After about 5 years it was more of a flat black. I didn't really care. My concern would be if the powder coat stared to wear or chip, stripping the powder coat off to refinish them again would be a tedious job. Much easier to refinish a painted surface. If you stick with paint, spraying a couple layers of non yellowing clear coat might help the paint look good longer. JMO.

Users who are viewing this thread