I have a 5 gallon portable air tank purchased probably around 2010-2011. Served me well all these years at the track and just for general tire inflating checks in the garage and what not.

The other day I was adding air to it from my main 15 gallon air compressor tank and noticed there is an expiry date on the 5 gallon (there is one also on the big tank). The 5 gallon says "destroy January 2019".

So I'm still using it 4 years later..................seems fine. It takes a max. of 120 psi of air that I can pump in. Tank is not exposed to the elements and I'm careful to not bang it around or put it down rough to the ground.

Would it still be good or am I at risk of it blowing up in my face 1 day adding air to it??? I now only add air to around 100 psi since it takes a bit of time to add in the other 20 psi and again don't really want to be too close to it adding the last bit of air.

Tony

I would get a replacement. They can make a Big Bang, the problem is you cannot see the corrosion inside.

You are worth considerably more than the tank!! :thumbs:
Ya, My big tank rusted through on the bottom. You are supposed to flush them every once in a while. Like I ever did! lol

• Wow
Reactions: Black 03 Z06
I drain my 25 gallon tank regularly. There shoud be a drain at the bottom of the tank. If there is not, throw it away as the moisture in the air does corrode the bottom of the tank if it is not drained. Even draining every 3 months, the water that comes out is a rusty brown colour. If, like Murray, you never drain, the bottom of the tank will deteriorate. It likely won't blow up in your face as pinholes develop first but better safe than sorry.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread