Racer66

Casual User
Jan 21, 2015
Ottawa
VetteCoins
Car
2015 Stingray
Hello, while investigating why my oil pan may be leaking I have read stories of Porous oil pans and wondering if anyone has come across this issue of if it is just a tale. Even after putting die in my oil my brother who is a tech cannot say for sure why I have oil sweating on the pan. When I put it away for the winter it was just at the back near the bell housing but without starting it the front is now sweating too! My garage is heated but I can't see how that would be a factor.

Any and all advise is welcomed. It's a 2008 ZHZ model with a 6.2l automatic.

Thanks in advance!

Might be a Ford oil pan (joke) Every Ford pickup we own has had a rust issue from the inside out .In 2008 GM was not paying it's vendors and the dance from one supplier to another began .I have never heard of the issue on the 2008 .I happen to have an 08 that I'm in the process of changing the oil and I noticed nothing out of the ordinary .

Not sure why the pan is sweating while in storage. Where exactly is the pan sweating from? Does it look like it's coming through the pan walls itself? My only thought is that maybe the crankcase breather is plugged not allowing the pressure to get out and it's blowing oil past the crank seals? Just a thought as I am not too sure what else it could be and you should ask your brother first if this is possible as I've only heard of this happening on a forced induction engine.

The sweating while in storage is from the front of the pan but there is no signs of oil at the gasket level. We haven't given up but it's a strange one to solve. Unfortunately dropping / changing the pan on these beasts is far move involved than most cars. If / when I figure it out I will be sure to share my findings. Just looking to avoid a new pan and gasket at the cost of a grand or more at the local dealer!!!

My friend had one on a 2002 C 5. It was repaired by GM after the first owner had problems with leakage on the floor. They changed the gasket but it still leaked! Colin got the car in 2011 and I guess after sitting so long the oil congealed in the porosity and it wasn't till he drove it for a while did the leak come back. I put it up on my hoist and you could see the oil coming through the aluminum right beside the drain plug. As that one was a two piece pan i was able to get the bottom half from Manny's to change it out. The original die cast pan was what is called a cold shot were the die is not up to temperature before the aluminum is forced in and it hardens up too fast not allowing it to fully flow into the die. Sound like your's may have the same problem and if you can get it on a hoist you might find it. Just wipe off the oil and see if it comes back in the same place were the aluminum looks different.
Cheers Rob

Reactions: LSXtasy
This is known issue on the C6 oil pans leaking(not all). The dealer would replace the pan gasket under warranty. My 2007 has a bit of a sweat but has never dripped on the floor. I tightened the oil pan bolts a few years back and it helped a bit but still sweats. I just wipe the pan with a rag everytime I change the oil. . If its not dripping on the floor I would leave it as I have. Its been 9 years now and not a single drop on the garage floor. If it starts leaking on the floor I will probably then get the gasket replaced at that point. Take it to Manny at DaSilva Motorsports if you want the gasket replaced (the resident vette guru) :).

Last edited:
Crusher, I will follow your advice as it has been bone dry since I did a full oil change service last weekend! A very strange situation but one I will have to live with for now until it leaks on the floor!

Hello, while investigating why my oil pan may be leaking I have read stories of Porous oil pans and wondering if anyone has come across this issue of if it is just a tale. Even after putting die in my oil my brother who is a tech cannot say for sure why I have oil sweating on the pan. When I put it away for the winter it was just at the back near the bell housing but without starting it the front is now sweating too! My garage is heated but I can't see how that would be a factor.

Any and all advise is welcomed. It's a 2008 ZHZ model with a 6.2l automatic.

Thanks in advance!

This actually a more common problem than you would think . Replacing the pan gasket will fix the issue . The gasket its self is not very expensive , however the labour is . This is a full day to right . Our fee is $875 including the gasket .

Back in the day the turbo 400 had porosity problems. All we would do is add a little epoxy over the spot that was leaking. Later I worked at a Honda dealer and they had a porosity issue on a few engine blocks. Guess how they fixed that? A little JB weld over the area and its fixed for life. Preparation was key to making it last. Authorized by the manufactures and it worked. Just a thought.....Oh ya, I think headers helped to!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.