So I started looking at going to Cayuga drag strip’s test and tune. The rules say :

Rollbar
Convertibles quicker than 13.49, all cars 11.00 or quicker, all cars faster than 135mph;

Protective Clothing
All cars 10.00 to 11.49 naturally aspirated or only OEM power adders, with full OEM or .024 steel firewall.

Helmet
Required in all cars 10.00 to 13.99 – Full face helmet required on all cars 9.99 or quicker.

so if I run 11.1-11.3 I need a helmet and protective clothing? Can those be rented at the track? And what about the rollbar requirement for HTC?

When you tech in at Cayuga, it's hit or miss.
I was good to go with a full face and no other protective gear was required in my Z06.
I passed tech inspection one night on my bike with duct tape on my ankles, and running shoes. (didn't intend to race).

Take a full face with you, and let the tech inspector know your roll bar is "factory" / built in. You'll be fine.

• Agree
Reactions: Murray20c8
When you tech in at Cayuga, it's hit or miss.
I was good to go with a full face and no other protective gear was required in my Z06.
I passed tech inspection one night on my bike with duct tape on my ankles, and running shoes. (didn't intend to race).

Take a full face with you, and let the tech inspector know your roll bar is "factory" / built in. You'll be fine.
I dont own a helmet or a racing suit and it sounds like a cranky tech inspector can ruin my day/weekend over a couple of 1/4 mile runs

I dont own a helmet or a racing suit and it sounds like a cranky tech inspector can ruin my day/weekend over a couple of 1/4 mile runs
I'm not 100%, but quite sure the suit won't be necessary. That's more for the sub 10 sec cars that come in on trailers.
I can guarantee you will need a full face.
You can find one for reasonable $ at a bike shop or royal distributing.
(It's worth it)

Reactions: DenisC8
Several years ago I read that motorcycle helmets and automotive helmets had different safety tests and approval codes. Is that still the case and would the track check for the difference? SCCA web site shows the following:
"
Helmet Requirements
Helmets must be worn for all track and autocross events. Helmets certified as meeting the most current or the two most recent applicable Snell, FIA, or SFI standards are acceptable. Acceptable standards for all events other than Atlanta Motorsports Park include:
  • Snell ratings: SA2015, SAH2015, SA2010, SAH2010, SA2005, M2015, M2010, M2005
  • SFI ratings 31.1, 31.1A, 3.12, 31.2A, 31.1 2005, 41.1, 41.1A, 41.2, 41.2A, 41.2 2005, 24.1
  • FIA Ratings: 8860-2010, 8860-2015
  • ECE R22.05
  • BS6658-85 Type A/FR, BS6658-85 Type A

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread