Bishs

Apr 18, 2010
Ontario
VetteCoins
Car
2006 Coupe, 2003 AE
I posted this on another board......
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

After I have taken my `06 C6 to My Dealership"s" (My favourite one had to closed when the S**t hit the fan a couple of years ago and to the one that took over their franchise) I took it a Corvette Specialty Garage to have them to see if they could determine a ticking noise when the engine is cold.
They determined is most likely is "Piston Slap".

The first dealership said they could not find anything. The Second dealership said "Yes we hear it but nothing to worry about.

My extended warrant is now over and the Corvette Specialty Garage tell me "To live with it, Put in a New engine or sell the Vette.

No wonder the Dealerships and GM didn't want to address the problem.

Any one else have this problem with their engine? After looking into it further I find it is a fairly common problem.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This one of the answers I recieved.....

There's no particular bulletin on piston slap for 06 models that I could see.
FWIW here's what the serivce manual has to say.
Engine Noise on Start-Up, but Only Lasting a Few Seconds

Cause & Correction
Incorrect oil filter without anti-drainback feature.
1.Install the correct oil filter.

Incorrect oil viscosity
1. Drain the oil.
2. Install the correct viscosity oil.

High valve lifter leak down rate Worn crankshaft thrust bearing
1.Check the crankshaft end play.
2.Inspect the thrust bearing and crankshaft.
3.Repair or replace, as required.

Damaged or faulty oil filter bypass valve
1.Inspect the oil filter bypass valve for proper operation.
2.Repair or replace, as required.

Good opportunity to have that particular corvette specialty shop tear that engine down and build you a nice forged unit for some boost Gary!!
[mob][/mob]

In a quest for lower internal friction, there was a period when GM went to short skirt pistons in many of their engines. Piston slap was common until the engines warmed up. Piston slap was also common in the sixties in the hi-po engines, when cold, running forged pistons and lots of piston to cylinder wall clearance. It generally went away as the engine got up to temperature as the piston expanded. It never seemed to have hurt any of our engines. However, a cracked piston skirt can give you a similar sound.

My 01 2500HD 6.0L, and my 03 Shortie Silverado 4.8L, and my 07 Suburban 5.3L ,all have piston slap noise .. and my 2000 C5 ticks loudly all the way down the street! My best advice, given on GM truck forum, was to drive the snot out of them I do and they run great!!!

My 01 2500HD 6.0L, and my 03 Shortie Silverado 4.8L, and my 07 Suburban 5.3L ,all have piston slap noise .. and my 2000 C5 ticks loudly all the way down the street! My best advice, given on GM truck forum, was to drive the snot out of them I do and they run great!!!

I was told by a Mobile 1 rep to run a higher number of oil such as 10W40.

It does go away after a few blocks.

Ive run every oil recommended as a fix by every forum The Corvette stops by the end of the street! the 4.8L and 5.3L are very mild at start up The 6.0L slaps all the time, but it hauls xss 6 years and still will outrun a BMW SUV up to and over a 100mph I use Castrol 5/50 in it run 10W30 syn. in the others I will try the 10W40 every see the new Green Castrol for mercedes German stuff

Good God......If that's what I've got to look forward to with my rare chevy ownership, I'll not own it very long after that starts. I can't stand piston slap and hate to think long term what it's doing.
Thicker oil may or may not solve the problem but it will certainly add to fuel consumption, more pollution, and more cost.
To me that's just a cover up and a bad one at that.

Thanks for the warning. -- seriously.

C.

Install a cam and the slap is covered by the lope :D. Honestly, I never have seen this as an issue and can say with 100% certainty that I've never seen it impact the life of the engine. We've used every type of truck available in oil and gas construction and at the end of the day (without personal opinion and not to start a flame war) the Chevy gas trucks have longer life and lower post wuarranty maintenance costs. This is up to 300,000kms. After half that mileage we were towing the other brands off the site right to the auction houses. Just my $0.02

........and the noise? Bad enough it sounds like it's killing the engine but to have to listen to it would be more than I'd put up with even only for a short time after start-up.

I'm absolutely dead nuts serious -- I've had it b4 (granted some years ago) and don't want any part of it ever again. Good Engine longevity notwithstanding.

I'd be gone from chev quicker than snow in the prairies in January.

How is it that all? (or most?) of Carl's engines have this issue?

C.

I do not like piston slap either :( I bought the 2500HD (from Texas in 06) cheap and my son, said if it blows up, we'l replace it.. I have pulled a 8000lb RV trailer with it, and it works great.... I also bought a 2010 2SS/RS Camaro and it ticked at start up... Didn't like that either....sold it... But a Chevy with a tick or slap is still better than others (2 cents )

Not to me. I've had good luck with the "other" -- course I've been good to them too. If Chev can't return the faour, it's toast.

That's what I like about choices: We've all got 'em.

C.

My car ticks a bit when cold. I assume this is due to lighter pistons with shorter skirts and needing larger tolerances between the block and piston when the engine is cold due to the aluminum blocks expanding more than the old cast blocks. How I try to minimize the effects of piston slap is by running synthetic oil and driving like a granny until the engine is up to temperature. That way everything is fitting as it should before putting any real stress on the engine.

How I try to minimize the effects of piston slap is by running synthetic oil,

and driving like a granny until the engine is up to temperature.

Good advice :D I never run my engines wide open, until I reach the end of my street :rofl:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.