Sep 12, 2018
VetteCoins
Car
Corvette 1978 C3
Pioneer stereo blows the 3A in line fuse for the power to the stereo once a season. Any ideas? Can the inline fuse be increased? Radio fuse in the box in the car is 20A, pioneer stereo consumes 10A max consumption

• Wow
Reactions: Black 03 Z06
Pioneer stereo blows the 3A in line fuse for the power to the stereo once a season. Any ideas? Can the inline fuse be increased? Radio fuse in the box in the car is 20A, pioneer stereo consumes 10A max consumption
Is that the backup power or the main power wire? A 10A radio draw current but only a 3A fuse? I would confirm fuse ratings with the manufacturer before increasing, as it would become a fire hazard otherwise if there is an intermittent short somewhere.

Is that the backup power or the main power wire? A 10A radio draw current but only a 3A fuse? I would confirm fuse ratings with the manufacturer before increasing, as it would become a fire hazard otherwise if there is an intermittent short somewhere.
When I bought the car this was already the setup, so not sure why they put the 3A in line fuse, maybe the old stereo needed this 3A fuse. The pioneer stereo also has a 10A fuse, so is this 3A really needed

Attached specs per manual

Attachments

• 74916BD2-FB9B-4CBB-A5B6-C98A8FD98EBF.png
    74916BD2-FB9B-4CBB-A5B6-C98A8FD98EBF.png
    147.4 KB · Views: 17
Attached specs per manual
Checked fuses again, there are 2 in line fuses to the stereo, one is marked power and is 3A, the other in line fuse is marked battery and is 2A, and it is the battery fuse which blew.
Maybe these fuses just don’t last very long, these new fuses have a wire filament and the old ones have a metal piece filament. I have changed blown fuse and working again, will see how long it lasts

Checked fuses again, there are 2 in line fuses to the stereo, one is marked power and is 3A, the other in line fuse is marked battery and is 2A, and it is the battery fuse which blew.
In the manual, does the wiring diagram show the fuse ratings? I am thinking the battery fuse line fuse should be a higher value, possibly 10A.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.