Cadder61

Casual User
Jun 20, 2018
VetteCoins
Car
1975 CORVETTE L82
So finally got my 75 to a point where I could get it on the road to see what other repairs might show up. Promptly found my rear pinion thinks its Leduc#1, puking oil badly. I've read the GM service manual, they advised bracing diff then removing front diff bracket to frame before removing driveshaft etc etc. In reading other forums, most seem to do the repair with bracket in place (and swearing a lot) - any particular reason which method may be better? Anything else I should be aware of? I am fortunate to have a friend with a Quickjack, so have better access underneath than jackstands. Any and all input greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
I've never had to touch mine so can't give any advice on the procedure. But would suggest this. A seal can leak if the pinion is lose. Grab the driveshaft and see if you can move the hub with the U-joint up and down. If no then it is just a bad seal. But if there is play then the pinion bearing is lose thus the shaft is flopping around thus the seal can leak. Sometimes the nut can be just tightened up abit and it is cured. Otherwise it may need new pinion brgs and crush sleeve.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread