AirdrieBoy

I'm New Here
Apr 21, 2016
Stittsville
VetteCoins
Car
2016 Z51 Coupe
Hi, I recently tried to get replacement tires for my 2016 Z51 and was told by the tire shop that these tires have been discontinued. Can anyone suggest a suitable alternate? I am a bit concerned because when I had my C6 I replaced the tires with non-OEM tires and it just didn't drive the same so I don't want to make the same mistake with my C7.

Thanks

John

Your tire shop person needs to stop smoking the good stuff. Pilot Sport ZP tires are still available. Go to Tire Rack and search tires under your car there are tons of models of tires to put on your car if you don't care for RF tires. If you insist on wanting RF the Pilot Sport ZP is available along with 3 other RF brands.

I personally feel Pilot Sport tires are a bit old now AFA tire tech, tons of newer technology tires are available now as good if not better than PSZP.

I have the new Bridgestone Potenza S007A tire on my C7 ZR1 and is a great street tire and runflat. Pilot Sport 4S is also great if you want a regular non RF tire.

Some all season performance tires are available also from Michelin, 1 model is RF and all season performance but I personally don't put AS tires on a "mostly" summer driven performance vehicle.

Your tire shop person needs to stop smoking the good stuff. Pilot Sport ZP tires are still available. Go to Tire Rack and search tires under your car there are tons of models of tires to put on your car if you don't care for RF tires. If you insist on wanting RF the Pilot Sport ZP is available along with 3 other RF brands.

I personally feel Pilot Sport tires are a bit old now AFA tire tech, tons of newer technology tires are available now as good if not better than PSZP.

I have the new Bridgestone Potenza S007A tire on my C7 ZR1 and is a great street tire and runflat. Pilot Sport 4S is also great if you want a regular non RF tire.

Some all season performance tires are available also from Michelin, 1 model is RF and all season performance but I personally don't put AS tires on a "mostly" summer driven performance vehicle.
Thanks, saw the Pilot Super Sport ZP's on the Tire Rack site but I also saw them on the Ottawa tire shop site, it was when I went to order them that I was told they were no longer available, but like you said it could be legal weed that is the problem rather than the story about them being discontinued. I am interested though to hear your thoughts on the non-RF's. I am certainly no expert on tires or cars for that matter but I thought that RF's would be better in a blowout situation at 200kph, and you mentioned you had them on your ZR1 so I am curious about what you think about non-RF's. I also saw the Bridgestone's on Tire Rack, but they don't come up with a number, just the label Protenza Sport, no S007A, but that might be specific for your kind of performance. Thanks again for your help!

Personally I prefer non run flats. Typically quieter and smoother as they don’t have as hard a sidewall. The risk of the flat tire is there but when was the last time you had a blow out on the highway with any of your vehicles. The usual issue is a slow leak which can be topped up and driven to a tire shop.

I have run the Michelin PS 4S non run flats on my C6. Great tire in the rain, quiet and smooth. That is what I am putting on the C7 next week. Lots of guys here swear by the Continentals as well.

Reactions: AirdrieBoy
Thanks, saw the Pilot Super Sport ZP's on the Tire Rack site but I also saw them on the Ottawa tire shop site, it was when I went to order them that I was told they were no longer available, but like you said it could be legal weed that is the problem rather than the story about them being discontinued. I am interested though to hear your thoughts on the non-RF's. I am certainly no expert on tires or cars for that matter but I thought that RF's would be better in a blowout situation at 200kph, and you mentioned you had them on your ZR1 so I am curious about what you think about non-RF's. I also saw the Bridgestone's on Tire Rack, but they don't come up with a number, just the label Protenza Sport, no S007A, but that might be specific for your kind of performance. Thanks again for your help!
1010tires.com shows the PS ZP is available in the tire size you need for your Z51, there's even a tire rebate right now from Michelin. Yes legal or not the other person/place you first contacted about that tire again needs to stop smoking the stuff.

The RF and not RF debate is valid. Before my C7 ZR I had purchased new PS4S in C6 Z06 sizes for my 09 Z06. It was a fabulous tire that rode well and had very good traction. They replaced a set of B/stone RE050A RF tires also in stock sizes and I got 9 years out of those tires. They were great to drive on till about year 5 or so then the wet traction started going away. My tire wear on those tires were great (still lots of tread) but around that time is when tires are going to start going away and should be replaced, I just kept them on for 4 more years till I did the PS4S. The car did ride rougher on the B/stone tires compared to when I got the PS4S on. When I sold the C6Z I kept the Forgeline wheels that had those tires on it and for a year and a bit I ran them on my newly purchased ZR1. I stored the factory C7 ZR wheels, sold the Cup 2's as I knew I wasn't going to make use of them for a few years so no point keeping a set of those tires stored as they will just dry rot no matter what.

When I got my new RSR wheels for the ZR, I decided on the S007A tire and reason was stated in my original post. When the PS4S was on my car I could drive it in Sport mode and it drove nice but on the James Bond tire for the street I use touring as Sport on regular roads in the proper C7 ZR sizing in a RF is just too rough. The sidewalls in a RF tire is much stiffer to be able to support the weight of the vehicle while driven with no air.

In my 10+ years of driving the C6Z never had I ran into a blowout issue on the B/stone tires. I did get a nail in the middle of the tread that was patched up. At the time I also had a 13 GT500 that had non runflat G/year tires factory that I replaced with PSP non runflat tires, drove that car for 5+ years again never had anything happen. There is always that risk if you run over something bad and have a sudden air loss in the tire it could be bad if you are not expecting it. These cars I mentioned don't have a spare tire (Shelby came with a can of that inflate tire crap they want you to use to get the tire up and running a short distance to a service place). The RF thing is that you can still drive your car at a slower speed for a limited distance to not strand you somewhere and get you to a safer place to have the flat dealt with.

I personally on a Corvette would go with a RF tire (just what I did), if you accept the risk of driving on regular tires then I would go PS4S or a nice tire with lots of value would be Firestone Firehawk Indy500 if you can get past the stigma of using a Firestone tire on a Corvette.

Tony

Attachments

• 245_35R19 Tires _ 245-35-19 Tire Size Online at 1010Tires.com and 2 more pages - Profile 1 - M...png
    245_35R19 Tires _ 245-35-19 Tire Size Online at 1010Tires.com and 2 more pages - Profile 1 - M...png
    52.3 KB · Views: 37
  • 245_35R19 Tires _ 245-35-19 Tire Size Online at 1010Tires.com and 2 more pages - Profile 1 - M...png
    245_35R19 Tires _ 245-35-19 Tire Size Online at 1010Tires.com and 2 more pages - Profile 1 - M...png
    57 KB · Views: 35
Reactions: AirdrieBoy
I have run the Michelin PS 4S non run flats on my C6. Great tire in the rain, quiet and smooth. That is what I am putting on the C7 next week. Lots of guys here swear by the Continentals as well.
PS4S isn't available in the proper OE rear sizing otherwise I would've gone with a set of them for my ZR1 instead of the B/stone RF tire.

Last edited:
1010tires.com shows the PS ZP is available in the tire size you need for your Z51, there's even a tire rebate right now from Michelin. Yes legal or not the other person/place you first contacted about that tire again needs to stop smoking the stuff.

The RF and not RF debate is valid. Before my C7 ZR I had purchased new PS4S in C6 Z06 sizes for my 09 Z06. It was a fabulous tire that rode well and had very good traction. They replaced a set of B/stone RE050A RF tires also in stock sizes and I got 9 years out of those tires. They were great to drive on till about year 5 or so then the wet traction started going away. My tire wear on those tires were great (still lots of tread) but around that time is when tires are going to start going away and should be replaced, I just kept them on for 4 more years till I did the PS4S. The car did ride rougher on the B/stone tires compared to when I got the PS4S on. When I sold the C6Z I kept the Forgeline wheels that had those tires on it and for a year and a bit I ran them on my newly purchased ZR1. I stored the factory C7 ZR wheels, sold the Cup 2's as I knew I wasn't going to make use of them for a few years so no point keeping a set of those tires stored as they will just dry rot no matter what.

When I got my new RSR wheels for the ZR, I decided on the S007A tire and reason was stated in my original post. When the PS4S was on my car I could drive it in Sport mode and it drove nice but on the James Bond tire for the street I use touring as Sport on regular roads in the proper C7 ZR sizing in a RF is just too rough. The sidewalls in a RF tire is much stiffer to be able to support the weight of the vehicle while driven with no air.

In my 10+ years of driving the C6Z never had I ran into a blowout issue on the B/stone tires. I did get a nail in the middle of the tread that was patched up. At the time I also had a 13 GT500 that had non runflat G/year tires factory that I replaced with PSP non runflat tires, drove that car for 5+ years again never had anything happen. There is always that risk if you run over something bad and have a sudden air loss in the tire it could be bad if you are not expecting it. These cars I mentioned don't have a spare tire (Shelby came with a can of that inflate tire crap they want you to use to get the tire up and running a short distance to a service place). The RF thing is that you can still drive your car at a slower speed for a limited distance to not strand you somewhere and get you to a safer place to have the flat dealt with.

I personally on a Corvette would go with a RF tire (just what I did), if you accept the risk of driving on regular tires then I would go PS4S or a nice tire with lots of value would be Firestone Firehawk Indy500 if you can get past the stigma of using a Firestone tire on a Corvette.

Tony
Hi Tony, are those prices on the attachments in CDN$?

1010 is Canadian $$, the B/stone S007A pricing is Tire Rack so US $$.

Try Tires Online Canada | Quattro Tires Up to 60% Off they are Canadian and currently have non RF Michelin PSP in stock in your Z51 sizes. Rebate from Michelin still applies and they have an extra 8% off orders over $400 and free shipping.

Punch in your car specs and they show you the list of tires they have for your car. You can also call them to see if they can get you the PSP RF if you decide to settle on that tire or the B/stone Bond tires or any other make you are interested in.

I've bought tires from them before and are great to deal with.

I've been non run flats for every car I've had ( last 3 sets were Firestone Firehawks Indy 500 on two C6 vettes and Focus RS), I've also never had an issue with a flat however. Purchased a C7 last fall that came with brand new Pilot Sport A/S 3+. I was pleasantly surprised to find the road noise was no worse that what I was used to and grip was the same if not better, as well it handles better in colder weather so I could get every day out of them before putting it in storage which also means I can have it out sooner this season. The fact that its a run flat is peace of mind on top of everything. I'll keep buying these as long as they are made or get its replacement.
I've had brutal service from 1010 which involved them sending me the wrong bolt pattern on 1 out of 4 and refusing to take them back because I mounted a tire on it. Size on the box was correct but the wheel did not reflect that forcing me to buy a another, I'd like to watch that place burn honestly. Quattro is hit and miss customer service is less than ideal and I've been sent the wrong order before. I've ordered from PMC probably a dozen times and was always impressed.

Last edited:
Hi John

I have the new Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 4, just got them in February, they are more aggressive all seasons run flat, they are quiet and great grip. Got them on 1010 tires
They are great in rain or dry

I still have the original take offs Pilot super sport ZP at 94% in storage, if you were not so far away i would suggest them to you, they are
Front tires 245/35ZR/19 89Y 94% Tread (8/32)
Rear tires 285/30ZR/20 95Y 84% Tread (8/32)

Unless you have a real tow hook, not supplied, and the decorative ones don't count, you're stuck somewhere with a flat. You cannot pull a C7 up onto a flat bed without it. The manual is clear about not strapping the wheels or undercarriage.
Just say'n from my experience with a flat... I drove it up the flat bed.