Haliburton, Ontario
VetteCoins
Car
2003 Z06
Province
ON
Courtesy National Speed Sport News.

Another bucket list motorsport event.

Fascinating results and story on the constant evolution of the race car.

Now that is a wing!!

621754_2018-06-24_vwms_ppihc2018_rennen_03-696x491.jpg
Romain Dumas charges up Pikes Peak en route to winning the Pikes Peak Int'l Hill Climb for the fourth time. (Volkswagen photo)

COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. — Romain Dumas shattered both the electric vehicle and overall record in winning the 96th Pikes Peak Int’l Hill Climb on Sunday.
Dumas powered his Volkswagen I.D. R Pikes Peak entry up the mountain, covering the 12.42-mile asphalt road to the 14,110-foot summit in an unbelievable 7 minutes and 57.418 seconds.

Dumas broke the electric record set by Rhys Millen in 2016 and the overall mark held by world renowned rally racer Sebastien Loeb in 2013.
Dumas, who was the overall Pikes Peak winner for the fourth time, crushed the electric and overall Pikes Peak Hill Climb record crossing the finish line in under eight minutes with an official time of 7:57.418.
Dumas beat the electric record by nearly a minute and broke the overall record by more than 16 seconds. Dumas’ run up the mountain was more than 40 seconds better than that of runner-up Simon Faggioli, who drove a Norman M20 SF PKP.
“It was a good run finally under eight after so many times trying,” Dumas said. “Congratulations to Volkswagen for making a car like that in eight months. The mechanics and everything, to make a car like that fully electric make it in under eight minutes, the technology is not so easy. In the end, I just drive the car. Without a good car I cannot win.”
“The I.D. R Pikes Peak is the sporty forerunner of Volkswagen’s I.D. family. Today, we saw what this technology is capable of,” said Volkswagen’s Dr. Frank Welsch. “Every Volkswagen employee can be extremely proud of today’s result. I congratulate the team from the bottom of my heart. With a combination of outstanding engineering skills, passion and commitment, the team has managed to create a fantastic racing car in just eight months. The Volkswagen I.D. R Pikes Peak has now set the fastest time in the history of this hill climb, which spans more than 100 years – that speaks volumes for electric mobility.”
Peter Cunningham was third overall and won the Pikes Peak Open class driving an Acura TLX GT. He finished 90 seconds behind Dumas.
Fabien Bouduban was fourth overall and third in the unlimited class, while Paul Dallenbach finished fifth and won the Open Wheel class.
Veteran road racer David Donohue topped the Time Attack 1 class, Carlin Dunne won in Heavyweight Motorcycle and Ray Evernham topped the Exhibition class in his low-slung “Ghost” modified, a 1936 sedan.
Action sports star Travis Patrana also claimed a class victory, topping the new Porsche Cayman GT4 Clubsport division.
Other class winners were Tyler O’Hara (Lightweight Motorcycle), Michael Woolaway (Exhibition Powersport), Theo Bernhard (Quad) and Jeremiah Johnson (Electric Motorcycle).

A few cars run wings like this....even some sedans have front spoilers.as well as rears.
My buddy with his 2016 Z06 checked his PDR and it said he was doing 116kph on the long straight... and this is a slalom course!,!

Graham

#99 needs only seatbelts to maybe might make for a great "park bench" rumble seat ride (new hairdo mind you when the ride is over) :Biggrin:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.