Featured Thread
Dec 17, 2019
VetteCoins
Car
2016 ZF1 Stingray
Province
QC
I'm getting the feeling people don't understand the Corvette ownership thing. It seems for them it's a ridiculous purchase and waste of money. Two persons recently told me in not in a direct manner but it meant the same thing why the heck did you buy a 60K Corvette and not buy a new work van instead or a new daily driver SUV? One of these two is a fellow business owner he couldn't understand why I recently purchased a used van instead of a new one. I tried to explain I purchased a 2010 work van this september, Sure it's 10 years old but it only had 29,000km on it and it was a government van. Those usually stay parked in parking lots and used once in a while to carry sandwiches. Plus those vehicles are regularly maintained by their in house mechanics with a strict protocol, I'll repair it myself when it breaks down, it still had the new car smell when I took possession. I tried to explain I wasn't buying a new van to have it depreciate 20K plus after a year. Anyway it makes sense to me but not to them.

Some people spend their money on world trips with lots of booze, some put a backyard pool and jaccuzzi, Some put 10K on hunting trips, some hoard all their money and deprive themselves all their life so their kids can inherit and blow it all in one week and possibly buy a corvette! :p

Based on those responses I think I'm going to stay quiet from now on and be that "different kind of guy".

Ok here’s another thing that I learned from an awesome crazy corvette fella ...
many here know who this "anonymous corvette man" is 👍🏻👍🏻
Shop stores and purchase/hoard a few of these ...

3C073866-091F-466A-94BE-B5E221E5137A.jpeg

Enjoy driving your Corvette.
At stops, when a kid runs up to
Check out your Corvette ... Give them One.
You will never ever ever ever know
What that feels like until you do it!
Whenever anyone asks you about why you bought that Corvette ... your facial expression when thinking about those kids will “speak” a million words.

Last edited:
They’re right. It IS ridiculous and it IS a waste of money.

And thats exactly why I bought one.

Something like a corvette, Porsche 911, Ferrari or Lambo anything, etc are never going to “make sense”. They’re toys, just like a speedboat, or a motorcycle or a 30/40k side by side, or a cottage or anything else that you don’t really need. You buy these things because you want them, not because you need them.

Because....well, you don’t.

I’ll wager those same people giving you crap for buying a Vette have something like a couple quads, jet skis or similar toys in their own garage. Ask them why they spent so much money on something so “ ridiculous and expensive”.

At least you can drive a Vette to the store or a movie, dinner, etc. Can’t do that with a quad, jet ski or snowmobile.

Its a toy to put a smile on your face and nothing else.

No further explanation required....

Last edited:
Ok here’s another thing that I learned from an awesome crazy corvette fella ... many here know who this anonymous corvette man is 👍🏻👍🏻

Whenever anyone asks you about why you bought that Corvette ... your facial expression when thinking about those kids will “speak” a million words.

Actually the wife of my GF's father gave one of them to me just last weekend! Funny thing, it has 76 on it which is my birth year and even funnier when my offer for the C7 was accepted by the seller it was on my birthday! A gift from me to me. :D
So then I had to look online if there were others Hot Wheels and yes. Then I saw awesome die casts, I'll be shopping for one of them!

IMG_20200114_163131590.jpg

Reactions: RockyPM
I'm getting the feeling people don't understand the Corvette ownership thing. It seems for them it's a ridiculous purchase and waste of money. Two persons recently told me in not in a direct manner but it meant the same thing why the heck did you buy a 60K Corvette and not buy a new work van instead or a new daily driver SUV? One of these two is a fellow business owner he couldn't understand why I recently purchased a used van instead of a new one. I tried to explain I purchased a 2010 work van this september, Sure it's 10 years old but it only had 29,000km on it and it was a government van. Those usually stay parked in parking lots and used once in a while to carry sandwiches. Plus those vehicles are regularly maintained by their in house mechanics with a strict protocol, I'll repair it myself when it breaks down, it still had the new car smell when I took possession. I tried to explain I wasn't buying a new van to have it depreciate 20K plus after a year. Anyway it makes sense to me but not to them.

Some people spend their money on world trips with lots of booze, some put a backyard pool and jaccuzzi, Some put 10K on hunting trips, some hoard all their money and deprive themselves all their life so their kids can inherit and blow it all in one week and possibly buy a corvette! :p

Based on those responses I think I'm going to stay quiet from now on and be that "different kind of guy".

He who dies with the most toys still dies but he had way more fun living than the guy who bought the new work van.... JMO

Ok here’s another thing that I learned from an awesome crazy corvette fella ... many here know who this anonymous corvette man is 👍🏻👍🏻

View attachment 35217

Awesomness!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

They’re right. It IS ridiculous and it IS a waste of money.

And thats exactly why I bought one.

Something like a corvette, Porsche 911, Ferrari or Lambo anything, etc are never going to “make sense”. They’re toys, just like a speedboat, or a motorcycle or a 30/40k side by side, or a cottage or anything else that you don’t really need. You buy these things because you want them, not because you need them.

Because....well, you don’t.

I’ll wager those same people giving you crap for buying a Vette have something like a couple quads, jet skis or similar toys in their own garage. Ask them why they spent so much money on something so “ ridiculous and expensive”.

At least you can drive a Vette to the store or a movie, dinner, etc. Can’t do that with a quad, jet ski or snowmobile.

Its a toy to put a smile on your face and nothing else.

No further explanation required....
And that guys wife is saying WHAT A WASTE OF MONEY and that guy is looking at the foolish engagement ring he had to buy hahahahahahahh

It's just how it looks to people. People enjoy being able to pick out the most blatant item and poke at it. As an owner of an older Corvette, I always find it funny when someone who owns a new "economy car" says they wish they had the money to buy a Corvette as they are looking at my car; as if I some high roller. I look at their car and notice that it is always WAY more than what I paid for my Corvette (and my truck put together). So, it's not about having money. We all have money, it's just about priorities. I like crappy old trucks and Corvettes so I prioritize that. The only issue I get is when someone else's priorities in life don't line up with mine so they think I just throw money away, or spend it frivolously, meanwhile, they have 120 pairs of shoes at home, or a huge wine cellar, or home theater system....whatever. That's their passion, if it makes them happy, great. People need to understand that this is my passion and if they don't, no big deal as that's their issue to deal with.

Well, my gf and her daughter dig my Corvette. They are both happy that I got rid of the Porsche and got another Corvette. The gals hated both my 996 and 991 lol!

As for anyone else out there that don't get it, I really don't care.

• Agree
Reactions: BDK
Everyone each to their own , who can and can't , those that can buy one those that can't wished they could buy a corvette .
There are those that will always bitch , cause they couldn't afford one and tell those that bought one how redicuilous to spend
That kinda money on a car like that , on and on . But you get the idea

I get that "What did you buy that for" or "You having a midlife crisis?" crap all the time. The true reality is that they are jealous. When you explain that I bought it because I love owning a vehicle like this just for the fun and enjoyment I have with it, not to impress anyone or show off, just 'cause I like messing around with older cars, they seem to understand. When you explain how they could also own a Vette for not a lot of money...you see the eyes gloss over as they imagine themselves behind the wheel of their own special ride. It's just human nature to deride others over something they mistakenly perceive they could never possess, in effect demeaning their own abilities to achieve their own goals.

I dont “get” lots of things. Baking like a lobster on a beach for a week drinking overpriced and watered down rum punch. Collecting Volkswagon vans. Cabbage patch dolls. Gaming. Living in an urban area so close to your neighbour that they can hear you fart in bed. Trucks that are built in Japan. People who vote Liberal....

The point is each to their own. We all only circle the sun so many times. Do what brings you peace and contentment while you use up your limited number of solar orbits. Do not justify, rationalize, or apologize for your choices. They are yours and yours alone.

It's not about making others happy. Yes, wasted money for a car driven perhaps for 6 months, but it makes me happy. When someone asks me what I drive, I say my wife's car, no mention of the vette. A present from me to me. I worked for over 30 years before I wasted my money on a C7, put the kids through school, they have their own homes, I looked after what is important, family first. Is it a selfish purchase? It depends on what has to be sacrificed. As long as I can work, stay healthy and continue to prioritize the important things, then I'm content with my vette.

I have always been a car guy and thought a Corvette was out of my reach. When a friend let me drive his C5 I was bitten by the bug. After I sold my collector cars. I started my quest for a Corvette and I found my first , a C6.. Two and a half years later purchased my current C7. I get a lot of comments, but the one I like the best is -"What I like most about your Corvette is that you drive it." I have never gotten the midlife crisis or the waist of money comment, but it may still be coming. As has been said before, We only pass this way but once, so lets enjoy what makes us happy, no matter what others may think... :--) It's not about the journey it's about the ride....

Last edited:

Good for you, I was a recent business owner and did the same thing as you. You know buying a good used van for business. When people would criticize my choices it would peeve me because I don’t criticize there choices. Why should they care? I don’t tell them how to live or what they should buy with there money. I think if I have the cash to pay for it and I’m not going into debt it’s non of there business. I think deep down they are controlled by others or they are just jealous. thanks for letting me rant.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.