Hey folks! I recently became aware of a horribly misaligned body panel on my C8 (right fender) and was wondering if this is common on C7/C8's.. Any input is greatly appreciated! Also, is this something my dealership can fix?

Here's the video if you'd like to see a close up of the bad right panel/headlight -

Yeah. That too bad nKuch. The front fender misalignment is quite noticeable. Barely anyone would notice the headlight unless they were looking for it, and the trunk is a pretty minor misalignment but no doubt they should fix them and the interior scratch as well. These will bug you now forever if they don't. Anytime we buy brand new, we expect it to be perfect... at least until after we put the first scratch.

Very sorry to see that nKuch !! I actually think that is completely disgusting to see a panel fit like that ! This is their new super elite sports car . With all the hype about how great it is and to let it come off the line and with their quality control , and then pass through the dealer !! Did I miss something ? Are they discounting these cars? It should be perfect ! You probably paid top dollar . It should be in perfect condition or made in perfect condition !

Reactions: Black 03 Z06
Hey folks! I recently became aware of a horribly misaligned body panel on my C8 (right fender) and was wondering if this is common on C7/C8's.. Any input is greatly appreciated! Also, is this something my dealership can fix?

Here's the video if you'd like to see a close up of the bad right panel/headlight -

I looked at your video - the day you took delivery. Most of the car shows up, but not the rt side fender.
Do you have any more pics / video from that day, to compare?
Be interesting to see if it was good, and vibrated bad.......or not.

Had a similar issue on a 2015 C7 when it was delivered (car only had 4km on the odometer). I corrected the alignment issue by loosening the bolts used to attach the front bumper cover to the car, pulling the bumper cover into proper position and retightening the bolts. Problem solved and avoided having to go back to the dealership.

Attachments

• DSC07106r1.jpg
    DSC07106r1.jpg
    230.3 KB · Views: 86
  • DSC07108r1.jpg
    DSC07108r1.jpg
    161 KB · Views: 85
  • DSC07109.JPG
    DSC07109.JPG
    204.1 KB · Views: 84
Reactions: turbozig
This is an assembly line mass-produced vehicle. I'll not be quick to bash GM since their production standard, like all other vehicle manufacturers who use an assembly line, isn't perfection and we shouldn't expect perfection. Hand-made vehicles are more likely to have few if any flaws, but they usually start around US$650,000 (2014 Pagani Zonda C12 F) and can cost as much as US$3.9 million (2014 Lamborghini Veneno which does 0 to 60 in just 2.8 seconds...wow...amazing speed!! ... sound familiar???).

I've purchased many new vehicles from Infiniti, BMW and Mercedes over the years and NONE of them were perfect. All of them were fixed under warranty. Just as I expect the C8's to be fixed under warranty.

Many people avoid first year model vehicles, hoping later years will work out any kinks. Time will tell if the 2020 C8 has lots of issues but if it does, perhaps we shouldn't be surprised since it's such a radical change compared to all the other 7 generations of Corvettes. We should keep this in perspective: it's a great car and extraordinarily priced for its performance and features. Even Nestor says he loves his car, in spite of its few flaws. I'm expecting a follow-up video from him, telling us his concerns have been looked after. I'll just be happy if I'm able to get a 2020 before any 2021 price increases. In the meantime, I'm envious that Nestor is driving his C8 while I can only dream about driving mine...

I have to think that most everyone is or has been in the position of this question.
I had someone point out an imperfection in the assembly of one of my C7s.
I then discussed this at a local dealership with a sarcastic reply of "would you like me to point out more"? :mad:

I just swallowed my pride and am thankful now that
someone has since pointed out a rock chip
that now detracts from what used to bother me.
It is what it is ... and hopefully worthy of an "agree" versus a "like".

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: 12cents

I would say its pretty common issue. I have same issues on my c7. I also see it on a bunch of other C7s as well. Its one of those things that the more time you spend looking at the details unfortunately you will finds little flaws. As someone pointed out some misalignments you can fix yourself. Recent I had removed my rear bumper and a bad gap now is gone since I've reinstalled myself. At the end of day this is a mass produced car under 100k. If you bring it to the dealer they often make an attempt to make you happy but there some issues that seem harder to fix then others. These cars are meant to daily drive and not as a showcase car.

Reactions: EJChevy
Had a similar issue on a 2015 C7 when it was delivered (car only had 4km on the odometer). I corrected the alignment issue by loosening the bolts used to attach the front bumper cover to the car, pulling the bumper cover into proper position and retightening the bolts. Problem solved and avoided having to go back to the dealership.
Glad you were able to fix it, this looks just as bad as mine so I'm hoping for an easy fix.

Did you take someone else with you to pick up the car? Note to those that haven't picked up their car yet. There have been reports of misaligned parts and scrapes etc. on the early cars. It is advised that you take someone who has no interest in the car other than being your friend to stop you from ignoring things like that during inspection. Take a strong flashlight also. It's not an easy task to leave the car you've been waiting so long for, but you want it perfect.

Reactions: kerry4

So.... pulled my cover off to see if there was something I haven't noticed for 5 years on my C7... Nope. All my fits look great. The hood has a very minor gap difference on the front. Calipers told me it was 1.2 mm from one side to the other. Really not noticeable.

1586809857781.png

So.... pulled my cover off to see if there was something I haven't noticed for 5 years on my C7... Nope. All my fits look great. The hood has a very minor gap difference on the front. Calipers told me it was 1.2 mm from one side to the other. Really not noticeable.

View attachment 38776

Just showing off that beautiful DSOM paint again! Ha ha

Reactions: Rruuff Day
Normal but not acceptable. To have a car perfectly fitted it needs to go to a body shop to have them finish the quality control. GM is no different than any other factory. When I worked for a company for 35 years the quality used to be first. Then as the years passed and they wanted increased profits their motto was get it out the door and hope the consumer doesn't complain.

Did you take someone else with you to pick up the car? Note to those that haven't picked up their car yet. There have been reports of misaligned parts and scrapes etc. on the early cars. It is advised that you take someone who has no interest in the car other than being your friend to stop you from ignoring things like that during inspection. Take a strong flashlight also. It's not an easy task to leave the car you've been waiting so long for, but you want it perfect.
The only problem is if you don't accept the car someone else with lower standards will. Happened to me last year. I returned a new Vette because of some quality problems. Told them to keep it as I wasn't happy with the showroom scratches it had from sitting on the floor and people climbing in and out of it. They gave me a full refund and 2 months later sold that car to someone else. Get this. They sold it for $2,000.00 more than I paid for it and was a used car. As Barnum used to say. Theres a sucker born every minute.

Congratulations on your new car, it looks absolutely beautiful!

I'd be devastated having the misaligned fender that you're experiencing. I also would hope that this shifted (vibrated) like another poster suggested as I'm confident that there is no way GM would knowingly release any car, let alone their premiere C-8 Corvette out the door with that defect. To do so with the expected subsequent negative response would be too damaging to the brand.

I'm also confident that the fix will be quite simple and that GM will appropriately step up to the plate.

The stitching however will need to be addressed at the factory floor level because that level of quality is unacceptable.

Good luck!

The only problem is if you don't accept the car someone else with lower standards will. Happened to me last year. I returned a new Vette because of some quality problems. Told them to keep it as I wasn't happy with the showroom scratches it had from sitting on the floor and people climbing in and out of it. They gave me a full refund and 2 months later sold that car to someone else. Get this. They sold it for $2,000.00 more than I paid for it and was a used car. As Barnum used to say. Theres a sucker born every minute.
I meant that you get it fixed before you leave the dealership. It would have to be in pretty bad shape to walk away from a car that one has been waiting for for years.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread