For engine bay, black interior painted surfaces using John Deere Blitz Black (flat) and semi gloss looks juust like factory and gives excellent smooth coverage. Are you looking at 2 stage, 3 stage exterior coverage?

Lots
Sherwin Williams has a great line
I did same thing as you are talking.
Cost for House of Koloa paints crazy in Canada
Kevin at Rupple Collision, Rust and Repair was awesome to consult with on paint products
He and I made a paint colour like one I found from House of Kolors. Just a thought

When choosing paint several things need to be looked at. Do you want a finish like the factory job, pearls and metallics in it , base / clear coat finish , stuff that changes with the light, enamel type finish , stuff that is easy to spot repair if needed later , will the paint finish suit the vehicle , and most of all how much money can you afford cause paint is expensive these days.
Back in the spring of '76 the paint material for my 58 Impala was 75 bucks total, straight RM enamel. It still shines today like it did then ( see pic 2018 fall ). My 82 Corvette was painted in 1995 with base / clear. It is still holding out pretty good. Between 2012 and 2014 I had my 49 painted in pieces and stages, material cost 3500.00 , Dupont Imron metallic pearl which is extremely tough durable paint but hard to work with ( paint alone was $300/liter ). This last year I just did my 58 Delray in PPG acrylic Urethane single stage , also over 3000 for material. I don't like clear coat, I like the natural look of enamel like when the 58 was new. This new single stage stuff is awesome. It flows nice, can be spot repaired easily , can be polished if wanted to get out any dust ,runs etc . it is very durable too. And it doesn't have that fake shiney clear look that clearcoat has, it just looks natural. The orange shown is straight out of the gun, no polishing , smooth, no orange peel ( ha ha ) .
My #1 choice 2day is the single stage paint for overall ease of working with , results and cost. The company's are all good, PPG , RM ,Dupont, Sherwin Williams . A big part of a job turning out right is the prep and the guy holding the gun. Material is very expensive today so can't afford to screw things up with the prep.
Not showing off , just showing examples .

IM002882.JPG

IM002913.JPG

IM009535.JPG

IM009091.JPG

IM008491.JPG

IM008147.JPG

IMG_1094.jpg

IM002599.JPG

Last edited:
Those are some nice cars!!!
I don’t know who your painter and body shop are but well done
From photos nice work
.....thanks guys, ........... grumpyfellow. actually each of them was painted by a different guy. The truck I painted all the interior stuff, wetsanded and polished all the body in pieces then put it together. The wagon I'm working on right now and was painted by my cousin in Warman ,Sk.

Last edited:
oh I forgot about my 93 Rosie, here is the factory color just redone ( base/clear ) , Black Rose Metallic. See with no sunlight it is dark in color, but in the sun it just comes alive and the metallics sparkle. Again, the type of paint you choose will do different things to a cars appearance.

IM003039.JPG

IM003072.JPG

IM003060.JPG

Evandermaarel.....check out a paint line called Glasurit. Not sure if it comes in a solvent base for the DIY’er. It is supposed to be very high quality...but...it’s expensive....but apparently it’s better coverage so you use less.

XFire82......Your Cars Look Fantastic...

What type of primer did you use?Number of coats etc... It was suggested two to three coats of Urethane Primer blocked with a 320 grit, prior to the final coat, Thoughts?

I too am looking at doing my 71 Vert myself. Right now I have it stripped down to glass and in the process of repairing some cracks and doing the door gaps. An acquaintance, well versed in paint/bodywork has suggested a single stage RM. I have used Transtar Products on the frame and underbody, he isn’t a big fan saying the RM is a better choice. I am doing the 978 Ontario orange colour (original) I did a spray out using Transtar and the colour wasn’t anywhere close. Whatever paint you decide on get ready to spend your money...I am shocked at how much I have spent just on the paint for the frame, engine compartment underbody etc....

Reactions: grumpyfellow
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.