Nov 17, 2020
VetteCoins
Car
'85 Accord
Province
ON
I just took delivery on a new Z06 yesterday. The car actually came into the dealer a few weeks ago, but because of my travel schedule, I wasn't able to pick it up till yesterday.

This is my second C8. The first one I paid about $2K to have the paint corrected and ceramic coated, so the car was pretty much perfect when I took delivery.

I skipped that this time around. When I rec'd my car, I was blown away at the poor paint condition. I gave the car a quick bath in the garage, and it was covered in blemishes. I tried to claybar after the wash to see if it was a simple contaminant that would come off - that didn't work. It almost looked like defects either under the clear coat or maybe even in the clearcoat.

I brought out the polisher and spent a few hours getting bunch of scratches as well as these other blemishes out. I'm sadly disappointed at the paint quality on this brand new car, and it's making me consider the need for ppf if the car blemishes this easily.

Anyone else have a similar experience? Or am I the lucky winner?

Attachments

• 1000036040.jpg
    1000036040.jpg
    428 KB · Views: 0
  • 20240924_133252.jpg
    20240924_133252.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • Sad
Reactions: 1st Vette
Guy that did my ceramic had 3-4 spots of concerns he showed from his inspection. Overall he said paint was pretty good on C8s compared to other cars.

He also said he has never seen a factory paint perfect either. He sees stuff that mere mortals don’t though.

I changed my DD and thought I’d skip ceramic but so much harder to clean (white) and the brakes are crazy dusty. I hate waxing so she’s going in at some point as well.

Not a Corvette, but I had similar spots on my 2024 911. 8 or 9 tiny bubbles in the clearcoat. I’m not impressed that the car left the factory like it did.

Attachments

• IMG_3484.jpeg
    IMG_3484.jpeg
    964.1 KB · Views: 0
My buddy does paint corrections and ceramic coatings as a side gig from his real job as a paint QC guy at CAMI in Ingersoll. He told me that the paint on my C8 was almost perfect by GM QC standards. He said there were only 3 items on my paint that needed correcting compared to the 15-20 that are on most other new cars that he works on.

I ended up having the entire car polished because of the poor quality. Being black…everything shows. I ended up ppfing the whole car to help prevent future marks. I won’t take another car off of any dealer’s lot in the future without going over it with a bright light. My spots didn’t show until it was out in the sun.