Wow..another one.

My 17 is supposed to be out of that mess but who knows. It’s not being tracked and 1600 km street use and no issues so far. Of course it was the same for my 15.
Got to recognize the misery of the guys buying them and not being able to track the car though.
The comments section underneath is more entertaining than the article.
Good post though. Thanks. :thumbs:

Reactions: JCWP
Gotta laugh at the comments sections in some of those sites for sure. Makes you wonder what happened in life to people who don't have a good word to say about anything or anybody and just want to spray verbal abuse.... Nice that we have both the cajones and a button here on the CCF to send trollers where they belong....lol....

Nn2Hc327rQ-12.png

My '17 Z07 hasn't had any problems, but don't track the car. If I did, I understand DEI makes a catalytic converter heat blanket to wrap it with, and prevent heat transfer from the catalytic converter to the oil cooler, which is in close proximity. Apparently this pretty much eliminates the overheating issue, and isn't that expensive or difficult to install. Sounds like a logical good solution to me.

Reactions: Tinman
Wow..another one.

My 17 is supposed to be out of that mess but who knows. It’s not being tracked and 1600 km street use and no issues so far. Of course it was the same for my 15.
Got to recognize the misery of the guys buying them and not being able to track the car though.
The comments section underneath is more entertaining than the article.
Good post though. Thanks. :thumbs:
U R welcome. Yeah, just normal driving should not be an issue. Glad to hear that so far everything is AOK!!!

Reactions: ddgermann
Normal driving in HOT climates is NOT OK !!!
There are instances of some people just driving in traffic, waiting at a traffic light, in hot temperatures
(typically in the US), and they have experienced the "limp mode".

Typically if we give the engine a chance to cool down (no "spirited" driving for more than a couple of minutes),
and then just take it easy so it can cool down, we should be OK.

For those who "track" their car... I suggest you really improved the cooling aspects....
and that will cost $$$$$$$

When I bought my Z07 last summer in North Vancouver the first thing I did was take it on a road trip with my son to visit family in California as well as attend a round of the World Superbike Championship in Monterey. It was July....HOT....110F+ HOT on several days. I drove the crap out of the car through the twistys up in Lake County and down in Monterey.....no problems. No overheating....nothing. The car was brilliant and I loved the ventilated seats.....

Flyboy,
congrats on the car.
Driving the twistys is one thing; tracking it is another.
On a track we are using 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th gears, and revving up to redline, repeatedly.
This is what is causing the overheating... especially in an A8.
The supercharger is pumping that gas/air mixture in at an increased volume,
which then creates hotter burn (and power), which heats the engine coolant up more,
and creates hotter exhaust. Combine that with the A8 transmission now working harder,
along with its cooling lines going through the radiator... all this is causing the engine temps
and transmission temps to climb. Once they hit that "magic" threshold... bingo... "Limp mode".

Flyboy,
congrats on the car.
Driving the twistys is one thing; tracking it is another.
On a track we are using 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th gears, and revving up to redline, repeatedly.
This is what is causing the overheating... especially in an A8.
The supercharger is pumping that gas/air mixture in at an increased volume,
which then creates hotter burn (and power), which heats the engine coolant up more,
and creates hotter exhaust. Combine that with the A8 transmission now working harder,
along with its cooling lines going through the radiator... all this is causing the engine temps
and transmission temps to climb. Once they hit that "magic" threshold... bingo... "Limp mode".
Have you tried the DEI heat blanket on the catalytic converter?

I haven't, but another person I know has tried the GM attempt at wrapping the exhaust.
Still not anywhere near enough.
Essentially we need to get MUCH more cooling at the radiator/coolant,
and install a separately plumbed transmission cooler.
For the M7 cars, the separate transmission cooler can be installed behind the
right front bumper fascia.
But for the A8 cars, that space is already taken up by the A8 transmission cooler.

Take a look at the new ZR1... GM has addressed this overheating issue with extra
cooling behind both sides of the front bumper fascia. And there are additional separate
(not plumbed into the radiator) coolers for the transmission.

Actually LG motorsports has a "package" solution... but it is over $10K US.
Others have provided partial solutions... a larger radiator, a larger transmission pan
to coerce more transmission cooling, etc.

It's really frustrating for us who track the car..... take 3 or 4 hot laps,
then cool it down for 3 or 4 laps. Conservatively use 3rd, 4th, and don't push to
redline too much.

Reactions: flyboy999
I haven't, but another person I know has tried the GM attempt at wrapping the exhaust.
But for the A8 cars, that space is already taken up by the A8 transmission cooler.

Take a look at the new ZR1... GM has addressed this overheating issue with extra
cooling behind both sides of the front bumper fascia. And there are additional separate

Others have provided partial solutions... a larger radiator, a larger transmission pan

then cool it down for 3 or 4 laps. Conservatively use 3rd, 4th, and don't push to
redline too much.
Yep that sucks for sure. Time to pick up a Viper for a track car and use the Vette as a daily driver 😁

redline too much.

Interesting comments. Seems some folks have had problems with the Z06 and others have not. Yes in Alberta both my C7 Z06s never gave me an issue. The 17 is supposedly sorted for this problem however I believe some track guys are still raising the issue.

We asked the Fellas at spring mountain about this issue as they have a big bunch of Z06s raging around the track everyday. They said yes they are aware of the issue but do not have this problem there. The cars are not modified other than DOT4 brake fluid and a little heavier engine oil...and they showed us. They found the solution to this issue and said it is in the driving method. I drove the crap out of a 17 Z06 M7 there for 2 days and never had a problem in 85 degree temperatures. Although I was not doing mega laps only a few at a time full on.

This is the 19 ZR1. Physically a huge leap forward from the Z06 cooling system. The car is loaded with exchangers in the front. I dont remember if this was a manual or auto. I deleted the other pic that actually showed all the exchangers...thinking who would want to ever see that? :Banghead:
Point is, although you cannot see them, there is also a heat exchanger standing up on both sides and one on the bottom laying down directly behind the grill. It's a box of exchangers behind the grill, plus the 2 in the huge nostrils on the front corners. Notice the debris in there. This was collected a drive from the detroit factory to Pahrump Nevada. All 24 cars I saw had this type of junk in there. Not going to be pleasant getting that out of there as there is no access to this space.
IMG_8841.JPG

IMG_8839.JPG

Reactions: flyboy999
ddgermann said:
They found the solution to this issue and said it is in the driving method. I drove the crap out of a 17 Z06 M7 there for 2 days and never had a problem in 85 degree temperatures. Although I was not doing mega laps only a few at a time full on.

Yes, this is how we were instructed to drive when my wife and I were down there March 7 and 8.
So we did a couple of laps, then slowed down for a couple. And we did NOT drive up to the redline.

But if we are doing "track days" or "HPDE"s, essentially this is competition (for many of us), and we
drive it for all its worth, for 20 or 30 minutes at a time.

Reactions: ddgermann
It's never been much of a headline on our forum, and we have a lot of 2015 and 2016 Z06 owners. To my knowledge no one here has had much for a problem. But that being said, it's my opinion (for all it's worth) that in some areas, for every one that has an overheat issue, a hundred more will jump on a Class Action Law suit. For the ones that do have an actual problem, hopefully it gets ratified.

Reactions: dallycurtis
It's never been much of a headline on our forum, and we have a lot of 2015 and 2016 Z06 owners. To my knowledge no one here has had much for a problem. But that being said, it's my opinion (for all it's worth) that in some areas, for every one that has an overheat issue, a hundred more will jump on a Class Action Law suit. For the ones that do have an actual problem, hopefully it gets ratified.
For all its worth? It's worth alot..thanks for the reply and fully agreed.

best to ya

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread